Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just posted all the files you need to play my cooperative board game of restaurant service, Check Please.

http://ceruleansgames.tripod.com/check_please.htm

Other people have told me that I've made a boardgame version of Diner Dash, but since I haven't played Diner Dash, I'll have to take their word for it.

Share and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Doyle
msg tools
designer
mb
My wife is a diner dash freak... So I'll have to download this and give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend a non-zipped version.

Zips can contain surprises, where a set of PDFs incurs no such risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial comments:

1) Board is HUGE and could probably be printed to be smaller (perhaps across two letter/A4 sheets of paper). Indeed, if you made it to fit 17x11 then it would fit on this geeklist nicely:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/62061/uses-for-an-11x1...

2) For consistancy sake, you could make the booths which seat 1-4 actually take up 4 squares (you'd expand the booth wall to accomodate this change) and that would give a visual reminder that a table seats up to the number of squares it takes up. This wouldn't change gameplay at all, just the map.

{I believe 1 & 2 could both be done without too much of a problem.}

3) Entree/Dirty tokens
Since these are mutually exclusive, they could easily be double sided tokens that are flipped when the table clears out.

4) Time it takes to eat.
Currently the time it takes to eat is both arbitrary and random, governed by a d6. I would recommend some predictability in this. Traditionally, people eat at about the same rate, though larger parties take longer to eat than singles and couples. Singles and Couples at the counter (see below) take less time than booths/tables.

Some form of time mechanism, such as a gaining a marker on tables which have their entrees that later affects if they are 'done' would make the departure of guests a bit less arbitrary. Tables would need a certain number of 'finished' tokens before departing the table based on size, and more than a single die (or a deck of preset cards) could govern that action.

{Note: I'm kind of against the die governing both customer based aspects of the game (customers arriving and departing) since at least the latter is a somewhat predictable behavior in a restaurant.}

5) Counter Seats.
I don't see any! I would expect counter seats where singles or two couples (provided they are next to each other) would be willing to sit in order to skip the wait. Of course the critic would never allow himself to sit at the counter.

Seating capacity of the restaurant is currently:
5/6: 3 locations
3/4: 11 locations
1/2: 2 locations

That's 16 locations for 23 groups (inspector is ignored for this purpose) which means you have to turn at least 7 tables over. Currently five of those tables have to be the big groups (1-6), and that actually means that you have to turn over one of the big tables twice.

To that end, a few more singles and couples is more realistic and more indicative of the industry. Parties of 5 is a rarity (more so than 6), and currently you only have three places to seat groups of 5 or 6 yet they make up 33% of the customer deck as shown above. That will result in a ton of complaints. If a restaurant had the expectation of this many larger parties it would have more larger tables.

I would actually make the larger parties a rarity (maybe 4-5 total groups) and drastically increase the number of couples.

6) Distances
Some tables simply cannot be reached from the front door in the allotted 8 steps, which guarentees a complaint from them, even if a single turn is dedicated to seating them. I don't know if that is intentionally what you're going for.

7) Mixing Dirties and Entrees
Ewwww. I don't think servers should be permitted to do both simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Initial comments:

1) Board is HUGE and could probably be printed to be smaller (perhaps across two letter/A4 sheets of paper). Indeed, if you made it to fit 17x11 then it would fit on this geeklist nicely:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/62061/uses-for-an-11x1...

2) For consistancy sake, you could make the booths which seat 1-4 actually take up 4 squares (you'd expand the booth wall to accomodate this change) and that would give a visual reminder that a table seats up to the number of squares it takes up. This wouldn't change gameplay at all, just the map.

{I believe 1 & 2 could both be done without too much of a problem.}

3) Entree/Dirty tokens
Since these are mutually exclusive, they could easily be double sided tokens that are flipped when the table clears out.

4) Time it takes to eat.
Currently the time it takes to eat is both arbitrary and random, governed by a d6. I would recommend some predictability in this. Traditionally, people eat at about the same rate, though larger parties take longer to eat than singles and couples. Singles and Couples at the counter (see below) take less time than booths/tables.

Some form of time mechanism, such as a gaining a marker on tables which have their entrees that later affects if they are 'done' would make the departure of guests a bit less arbitrary. Tables would need a certain number of 'finished' tokens before departing the table based on size, and more than a single die (or a deck of preset cards) could govern that action.

{Note: I'm kind of against the die governing both customer based aspects of the game (customers arriving and departing) since at least the latter is a somewhat predictable behavior in a restaurant.}

5) Counter Seats.
I don't see any! I would expect counter seats where singles or two couples (provided they are next to each other) would be willing to sit in order to skip the wait. Of course the critic would never allow himself to sit at the counter.

Seating capacity of the restaurant is currently:
5/6: 3 locations
3/4: 11 locations
1/2: 2 locations

That's 16 locations for 23 groups (inspector is ignored for this purpose) which means you have to turn at least 7 tables over. Currently five of those tables have to be the big groups (1-6), and that actually means that you have to turn over one of the big tables twice.

To that end, a few more singles and couples is more realistic and more indicative of the industry. Parties of 5 is a rarity (more so than 6), and currently you only have three places to seat groups of 5 or 6 yet they make up 33% of the customer deck as shown above. That will result in a ton of complaints. If a restaurant had the expectation of this many larger parties it would have more larger tables.

I would actually make the larger parties a rarity (maybe 4-5 total groups) and drastically increase the number of couples.

6) Distances
Some tables simply cannot be reached from the front door in the allotted 8 steps, which guarentees a complaint from them, even if a single turn is dedicated to seating them. I don't know if that is intentionally what you're going for.

7) Mixing Dirties and Entrees
Ewwww. I don't think servers should be permitted to do both simultaneously.

I agree with the parties of five being a rarity, so much so, that when they came into the restaurant that I work at it often leads to a logistics problem--most of our tables are set up for 2, 4, 6, and 8+. A majority of tables are dueces or four-tops with 1s, 3s, and 5s+ being pretty rare, making up about 15-20% of the evening's seatings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.