Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I've just purchased Dominion today after thinking i might like this game. Sadly started looking through the rules & example late at night, due to finishing work late, so feeling pretty brain dead.

Are there some good sessions reports to look at or threads that will help me on my way? Also, what's your thoughts on sleeves, as heard the cards won't fit in the box, if they're sleeved?

Thank you everyone, as your reviews and comments really made me give my first deck building game a shot...I was considering Thunderstone but went for Dominion in the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
papafuzzylugs wrote:
Hi

I've just purchased Dominion today after thinking i might like this game. Sadly started looking through the rules & example late at night, due to finishing work late, so feeling pretty brain dead.

Are there some good sessions reports to look at or threads that will help me on my way? Also, what's your thoughts on sleeves, as heard the cards won't fit in the box, if they're sleeved?

Thank you everyone, as your reviews and comments really made me give my first deck building game a shot...I was considering Thunderstone but went for Dominion in the end

With the cheaper Mayday sleeves, they definitely fit in the box. With the premium, maybe not. Personally, I think they fit better sleeved than unsleeved, because instead of the smaller stacks leaning in their slots, they are straight up, becuase the card's extra width doesn't leave any extra room.

You might not be able to fit 100% of the sleeved coins in their slots, but you can fit almost all. I threw my extra coin under the box, with a few sleeves, so if I need them I know where they are. Running out of coins is quite rare.

I highly recommend sleeves; the thing about Dominion is that certain cards get handled way more often than others, so they will not wear evenly. With sleeved cards, sure, your Copper and Provinces will have beat up sleeves, but then you can just replace the sleeves, and they are good as new. Also, there's a lot of shuffling, often with small decks, and the sideways smoosh is more effective than a riffle shiffle with 6 cards on each half.

It's a 45 minute game, tops, and lots of the sessions here will be with cards from other expansions, and won't walk you through the details of a turn, anyway. Just learn by playing. You have to buy and play the action cards in order to learn how they work, and how they work with each other. If you think that your games are going on way, way, too long (and you are using the right number of Victory cards for your number of players), buy fewer action cards, and more Treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Burrito Bean III
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve my Dominion with Mayday Premium Euro Sleeves. They fit in the box just fine with these - but you have to put coppers in the big middle slot, silver in the copper slot, gold in the silver slot, and you have to split up the curses a bit.

You shuffle a lot in the game and it's worth sleeving if you want to protect your cards from marking and significant wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game for a while; if you're still very interested after about 20 plays, get sleeves then. No point in a major investment until you know you'll still be playing the game much later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is not the best there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd watch a couple of the video reviews - that should give you a good start on playing the game. The game is way less complicated than it might seem on reading the rules.

As for sleeves - I think the previous advice given was sound - play the game a few times and see if you enjoy it. You won't do much damage to the cards with 10 or 15 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Dominion was the type of game I learned while playing. During my third play, the strategy just clicked. You essentially want to form card chains to maximize the amount of coins in your hand, thereby allowing you to purchase the higher VP cards. This is done by keeping your deck lean and purchasing cards that feed (i.e., chain) off each other. This is just basic strategy, but it should start you off on the right foot. Oh, and playing with random decks (use the randomizer cards) will sharpen your skills more quickly. At least it did for me and my girlfriend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
zwinx wrote:

Huh? The rules are damn near flawless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips.

When did you all look at getting expansions & which ones should I start with?

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Huh? The rules are damn near flawless.

If everyone around the table are noobs, I strongly disagree... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papafuzzylugs wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

When did you all look at getting expansions & which ones should I start with?

Thanks again
I recommend that you play the base game at least 20 times. If you still enjoy the game, but are finding the strategies start to get predictable, then get expansions in order of release, and spend some time with each one before you get the next, if you decide to get all of the expansions. Each one adds a layer of gameplay progressively. I think that getting them out of order will feel like a step backwards if you fill them in retroactively.

If you want to selectively purchase expansions, these are the best, in my opinion, in order starting with the best: Prosperity (adds additional methods to win), Seaside (adds duration cards), Intrigue (adds dual purpose victory cards and cards with choices, plus adds the ability to play 5-6 players), Alchemy (Adds potion treasure and cards that interact with potions. A half size expansion).

Personally, I also tend to avoid the online Dominion games. Boardgames are social things and playing 100s of quick games of Dominion online strips away the fun of the game. Many people consider Dominion to be multi-player solitaire. Certainly, the interaction between players is not intense, but I find that to be an advantage, as you can hang out and joke around with friends when you are playing, without detracting from the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zwinx wrote:

I'm going to have to strongly disagree here.
The rulebook is clear on what happens, appropriately illustrated & one that I use as an example of how rulebooks SHOULD be
Even with a 'table full of noobs'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
zwinx wrote:

The rulebook is clear on what happens, appropriately illustrated & one that I use as an example of how rulebooks SHOULD be

I agree with your disagreement. For rules that can be described in 5 sentences there is an extraordinary number of pics and explanations.

Just do the setup and do a "single player game" - you'll grasp the rules within 5 turns and will be able to explain the game without needing the rulebook anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that a new version of the Dominion rulebook was released within the last year or so (don't recall exactly when). My version has the old rulebook, which wasn't laid out very well, although I had no trouble understanding the rules. The new version's layout is much improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
Toc13 wrote:
zwinx wrote:

I agree with your disagreement. For rules that can be described in 5 sentences there is an extraordinary number of pics and explanations.

Just do the setup and do a "single player game" - you'll grasp the rules within 5 turns and will be able to explain the game without needing the rulebook anymore.

This must be why no one ever misunderstands Throne Room, what "+1 " means, or buys curses to give to other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
Keep in mind that a new version of the Dominion rulebook was released within the last year or so (don't recall exactly when). My version has the old rulebook, which wasn't laid out very well, although I had no trouble understanding the rules. The new version's layout is much improved.

That must be it. My copy is some years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
This must be why no one ever misunderstands Throne Room, what "+1 " means, or buys curses to give to other players?

There's only so much hand-holding that a rulebook can do. At some point culpability needs to be laid at the foot of the reader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

There's only so much hand-holding that a rulebook can do. At some point culpability needs to be laid at the foot of the reader.

I agree, I was replying more to the assertion that all you need to do is set up and start playing. This is how you end up with people making mental shortcuts like "Throne Room doubles a card!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I agree, I was replying more to the assertion that all you need to do is set up and start playing. This is how you end up with people making mental shortcuts like "Throne Room doubles a card!"

Yeah, you have to catch some bad habits in the bud. Almost every time I teach someone the game, I have to get them out of the habit of calling coin "gold". The game looks deceptively simple, even though it actually is pretty simple to learn - just not as simple as it looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Thinks
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: noob concerns
Stunna wrote:
Yeah, you have to catch some bad habits in the bud.... The game looks deceptively simple, even though it actually is pretty simple to learn - just not as simple as it looks.

Well put!

To Original Poster:
The important thing is that you start playing the game. If you are a rule book type, start out with that. Otherwise watch some videos or to play some solitaire games. Either way make sure you read the rule book before you get too many plays under your belt. Try reading card FAQ during the game when questions come up, and to tackle the set up and game play sections before you teach the game to others.

Make sure you understand the basic game terms and what they mean. (Example terms: draw, in-hand, play, in-play, reveal, gain, buy, cost, trash, and discard). Understanding these terms will make learning new cards easier because other than game mechanics, all instructions are printed on the cards.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
whereisyellow wrote:
The important thing is that you start playing the game. If you are a rule book type, start out with that. Otherwise watch some videos or to play some solitaire games. Either way make sure you read the rule book before you get too many plays under your belt. Try reading card FAQ during the game when questions come up, and to tackle the set up and game play sections before you teach the game to others.

Agreed. I would definitely recommend (re-)reading the rules after having played several games - preferably after having played with every card and then reading the card FAQs again.

Quote:
Make sure you understand the basic game terms and what they mean. (Example terms: draw, in-hand, play, in-play, reveal, gain, buy, cost, trash, and discard). Understanding these terms will make learning new cards easier because other than game mechanics, all instructions are printed on the cards.

This is a point that cannot be stressed enough. Dominion uses some specific terms in the rules and card wording. Being clear from early on about the difference between "draw" and "gain" a card, or between "trash" and "discard" will reduce a lot of confusion later on, especially when learning new cards from expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
The number 1 rule to learn:

+1 Action does not mean "OMG I have to play an action now!!!111!!!"

It means "When you have finished resolving all actions in progress (there are a few cards, like Throne Room, where you play other actions as a part of Throne Room's play), then you may play another action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your feedback, looking forward to making a start on it this weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy!

I think I'm going to be re-teaching it on Sunday to someone who has played a few times with me and bought their own set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
Specifically, the new rulebook also comes with a separate, illustrated manual that goes through sample turns. It basically lays out that people will have the following areas while playing the game:
--hand
--draw pile
--discard pile
--center part where cards were played that turn

It also goes through some common cases of what one would do (of which these have been asked many times here on BGG), such as you play Smithy, but only have 2 cards left in your draw pile. You draw those, shuffle the discards to form a new draw pile (being careful to leave out those cards that were played), and draw one more. You also would NOT shuffle the first 2 cards drawn from the Smithy as some people mistakenly have. etc.

IMO, these illustrations are minor, but go a long way towards helping newbies understand the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.