Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey there folks, I have one major concern about getting this cool looking game to the table and I was wondering if there was a tested variant that allows for the same experience in a shorter time? for instance cutting the amount of glory needed to win the game and so forth.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
uhb... well it's already a relatively short game compared to other games that give the same amount of "experience". Plus while the whole game is interesting, more starts happening in later... So your best bet is something that shortens the beginning of the game instead of the end-- i.e. don't just play to 5 points, instead start the players out as if they had already played a few rounds. Start with a little more money, all of the NPCs on the board, and maybe a starting hand of cargo. Maybe to get things started faster, for every cargo card you take, you increase your bounty from a random country.

However it already has quite a big setup time, making the game any shorter almost makes it not worth it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play with four players in my local group, including set up and explanation of the rules, took only 3 & 1/2 hours. Then after mostly putting the game away, three players set the game up again and played it to a conclusion in only 1 & 1/2 hours. This is a fast game already. But the easiest way to make it faster is to reduce the number of glory points needed to win. Instead of 10 with 5 that can be won by stashed gold, try playing to 7 or 8 with only 3 that can be won from stashed gold. But you'll be flying through this game by your 3rd play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Oakes

West Jordan
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
First play with four players in my local group, including set up and explanation of the rules, took only 3 & 1/2 hours. Then after mostly putting the game away, three players set the game up again and played it to a conclusion in only 1 & 1/2 hours. This is a fast game already. But the easiest way to make it faster is to reduce the number of glory points needed to win. Instead of 10 with 5 that can be won by stashed gold, try playing to 7 or 8 with only 3 that can be won from stashed gold. But you'll be flying through this game by your 3rd play.

I completely agree. The first play or two might take close to 3 hours, but after that the flow of the game comes easy and you can play it in about an hour and a half even with 4 players.

But no matter what, every minute is worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.