Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talon Amores
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So first off, I'd like to ask wargamers who love games that rely on counters or even blocks: in what categories do you store the pieces? By unit type, or by faction if there's more than two?

Next week I'll be getting World in Flames Deluxe, America in Flames, and Patton in Flames. I'm fully aware that there's enough counters with those three combined to feed a small pony for a week...that is, if small ponies ate counters from wargames. Which they don't.

...I think.

Anyway, what would be the most efficient way to store over ten thousand counters, and in what categories should they be stored in? I know I should probably keep the WiF, PiF and AiF counters separate (should I?) but I have a funny feeling many Ziploc bags will be wasted used for storage, and that not even the most largest of tackling boxes will suffice to store all them counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT or Chessex counter trays are fine. For WiF & other monster games, I got these special trays from Japan that fit a ton more counters and each tray has 50 partitions. Good for WiF and ASL.

I will take a photo for you later and direct you to a webpage. They cost me about US$9 each, so not very expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a bunch of counters. I would recommend GMT style counter trays for such an endeavor. As for how to organize them I think everyone has to do what works best for them, it may take two or three times before you get the best fit but you will find the best solution for you.

With my ASL counters I tried using what the other guys recommended and while there is some good there, it just didn't work for me. After a few shuffles (and one accidental plano dumping), I finally made up my own organizational storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
UN Spacy wrote:
Next week I'll be getting World in Flames Deluxe, America in Flames, and Patton in Flames. I'm fully aware that there's enough counters with those three combined to feed a small pony for a week...that is, if small ponies ate counters from wargames. Which they don't

With the Wif-Monster I wouldn't even try to use bags - the sheer number of bags needed, if you want to keep groupings meaningful would be huge.

Get some counter trays or, if you're handy enough, build some yourself.

For WiF et al, I think I would go by faction/nation and then by arms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cs-onode.com/products/list.php?category_id=12

These are what I found in Japan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
UN Spacy wrote:
So first off, I'd like to ask wargamers who love games that rely on counters or even blocks: in what categories do you store the pieces? By unit type, or by faction if there's more than two?

Next week I'll be getting World in Flames Deluxe, America in Flames, and Patton in Flames. I'm fully aware that there's enough counters with those three combined to feed a small pony for a week...that is, if small ponies ate counters from wargames. Which they don't.

...I think.

Anyway, what would be the most efficient way to store over ten thousand counters, and in what categories should they be stored in? I know I should probably keep the WiF, PiF and AiF counters separate (should I?) but I have a funny feeling many Ziploc bags will be wasted used for storage, and that not even the most largest of tackling boxes will suffice to store all them counters.

I think there is a PhD dissertation out there waiting to be written about storing big games like WIF.

Here's how I do it.

Every major power gets its own Plano storage tray. And rather than try to describe it, I'll take a photo when I get home tonight and post it here. (Remind me if I forget...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

The compartments are too small for WIF force pools! And those removable plastic lids make me shudder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
wifwendell wrote:
..... those removable plastic lids make me shudder...

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the old days I used matchboxes. These days I use the ziplock baggies Decision Games sells. I think the counter trays would be better for larger games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Why?

One word that I learned from Mr. Drake above.

Chitapult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Thomas
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the other guy said..Plano all the way. In my old battletech days I would show up for large battles with two tackle cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
sherron wrote:
In the old days I used matchboxes. These days I use the ziplock baggies Decision Games sells. I think the counter trays would be better for larger games.

When I was a young whippersnapper, we had to make our own counter holders and WE LIKED them!

----------

Matchboxes?

Add Cigar Boxes for matchbox storage - the Tobacco-lano.

----------

Back when smoking was, like, normal, I recall my mom had these plastic or metal boxes for cigarette packs to be put in - would love to find a bunch of those today - they would be, in my estimation, perfect Card Holders.

-----------

Anyway, a store counter for you:

-------------

IKEA comes to the rescue - the "Counter Storage Unit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Liumas wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Why?

One word that I learned from Mr. Drake above.

Chitapult

Exactly, these platic compartments create a "seal" due to the lip that when opening cause a "pop" that can cause chits to cross-populate/launch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Why?

They come off too easily, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Matchboxes?

Add Cigar Boxes for matchbox storage - the Tobacco-lano.

The guy I use to play Fire in the East with did use cigar boxes to store FitE in. I bought the matchboxes threw the matches away and just used the matchboxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always like/used Plano's for block, mini, larger counter storage (more like Decent, or Tide of Iron counters), and with my construction sets (Erector/Meccano/Marklin etc), but never liked them for small chit storage as they seem to large and too large of gaps, too hard to get fingers into when all the dividers are in and just not really right for tons of counters. The old plastic trays, GMT, SPI, Yaquinto, etc have some really BAD "habits" of launching or mixing the chits due to either "snappy" lids or loose lids, also.

I've found that for normal smaller "wargame" chits I've found Notions, or Bead boxs in the cloth/sewing department of many department stores (due to being dragged there by SO). They seem to work perfect for me, but you'll want to look around as there are MANY types, and many are worthless for our needs. They are cheap, small, tight, but yet normally clear and hard plastic. I've picked up several types that had 12-24 compartments, and some with small separate plastic boxes inside. They're also labeled "Fashion Accessories Organizer Box". The ones with the separate inner boxes work great for my Combat Commander Series, and will be also someday retroed for my ASL.

I do confess though, I had a warm fuzzy moment when reading this thread, as so many of my older games do have "custom storage"; hand made by over eager kid playing the game then. Most all my old AH flat boxes have the twin blue trays, that have been sliced up years ago to form separate compartmented trays for the armies of the game. Yep, we did it with cardboard, or whatever happened to be around at hand, and white glue, tape, scissors, etc. None of this fancy now-a-days stuff!

Light, love and laughter to you and yours,
Orion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in my younger days I used to make my mother - and then my wife - howl over my ability to make ziplock sandwich bags disappear. Nowadays, I use either plastic boxes (Akro-Mils makes some that are perfect for Memoir terrain tiles and figures; bead boxes for ASLSK), GMT trays (Combat Commander sorted by nationality), or tiny ziplocks ordered off of eBay from some guy in Vegas. It just depends on the game, the box, and how I want to break down the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

That looks amazing. Is it similar in size to the GMT/Chessex trays? If not, do you know the dimensions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan N
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I'll be the heretic touting the virtues of Ziplocs. Someone has to do it.

Chessex or Plano trays make it easy to see the scope of counters, and they work well for games with a few hundred counters. One tray is perfect for Patton's Best, for instance: it holds everything, it fits in the box, and the units divide nicely into the available pockets.

But Ziplocs pack flatter and faster, and they're better suited to games with only a few counters and those with thousands. The number of Plano boxes needed for Fire in the East, for instance, demands its own storage system:

Setup is easier with Ziplocs when the numbers get that big. You can pour a handful of Russian infantry fodder into your palm without having to pincer-grab from a stingy Chessex slot, and when they're dead finished, you pour them right back.

The key to successful Ziploc use is to have a variety of bag sizes and a Sharpie. Never again confuse Spanish regulars with Slovanian partisans.

Plano/Chessex for moderately-heavy games. Ziploc for the extremes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBGB wrote:
All right, I'll be the heretic touting the virtues of Ziplocs. Someone has to do it.

Ziplocs work great. I use them for every game (big ones too like Great War in Europe), except World in Flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use baggies for almost all my games. If there are thousands of counters involved, then I put small baggies inside large ones. I write on the baggies with permanent marker; e.g. "Soviet Armor," "Soviet Infantry," etc.

I will use a tray if playing the game requires me to find particular counters that have nowhere else to go. For example, if I am going to need to enter some reinforcements and the game doesn't provide a setup card. Even then, I am always terrified of the tray exploding or just spilling if the box gets turned on its side.

I would absolutely use baggies for WiF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
UN Spacy wrote:

...I think.

I think there is a PhD dissertation out there waiting to be written about storing big games like WIF.

Here's how I do it.

Every major power gets its own Plano storage tray. And rather than try to describe it, I'll take a photo when I get home tonight and post it here. (Remind me if I forget...)

Top row, left to right:

HQ-A and synth oil; HQ-I; armor corps; mechanized corps; motorized infantry corps; infantry corps; garrisons; militia

2nd row: cavalry corps; "special" corps (para, marines, mountain); arm & mech divisions; infantry and mot inf divs; miscelaneous division sized units (cav, supply, marines, para); artillery; anti-tank guns

3rd row: 2-cost fighters (aka FTR2); FTR3; 2-cost land bombers (aka LND2); LND3; naval air; city-based volunteers; ATR (air transports)

4th row: light cruisers; cruisers (empty); battleships (empty); carriers and carrier planes; transports and amphibs; subs; misc markers and forts

5th row: Finns; Hungarians; Romanians; Bulgarians; reserves; convoy points

This will differ by country. For example, US and Japan and CW give more room to naval units and carrier planes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talon Amores
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like! What did you sort them by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
They look sorted by type for the needs of war production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
They look sorted by type for the needs of war production.

Correct. I annotated the image above for how the German box is sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.