Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I was playing Runewars a lot and I was always placing starting players tiles far away from each other when I was first player.
Yesterday I was playing with a guy that placed those tiles in this way:

According to rules those tiles should be placed 3-4 tiles from each other so it is legal, but when we place home tiles there will be only tile distance.
What do you think?
It was quite a good game. We tried the "generals" variant from BGG - good work, heroes are moving faster and you find them a part of game now, although they seem pretty strong now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is it legal?
Looks legal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:

I think you twisted the rules.

That was not me
I was always playing that way you described, but I didn't want to argue with his point of view, which might be right.
I wanted to give it a try.
And I can tell you that was a pretty good game - we started fighting with each other in year 2. And we could in year 1!
Spring card was "New Recruits" so we had a lot of units to fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 99% sure this would not be legal; I thought it had been ruled by Corey at one point that the POST-tile placement must also be 3-4 away; the tokens themselves are just placeholders for where they go, and although they may not touch certain tiles themselves, you should consider ALL tiles the Home Realm would touch.

I'll try and go through my emails and see if I can find it, and if I can't, I'll ask it to Corey again and get it added to the Rulings compilation. But I'm almost certain the intent was that the Home Realms themselves must be 3-4 spaces away when placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Pretty sure this wouldn't be a legal setup because, while the markers are placed correctly, after home realms are placed they're too close together.

BTW, kudos on the downright funkiest map I have ever seen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardshark1029 wrote:
BTW, kudos on the downright funkiest map I have ever seen!

Indeed.

I had one once where when placing HR tokens, I realized if I put them where I first wanted to, it would have caused the Home tiles to actually TOUCH! Obviously, I had to redo it, but that would have made for an interesting game. (As it was, it was interesting because of how the map curved like that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, It is not legal as the top home marker is touching a impassable border which is against the setup rules.

Rule Book, Page 8 wrote:
After each player has placed his two map tiles, the first player takes a number of home realm setup markers equal to the number of players. He places these, one at a time, adjacent to the edge of the game board. Each of these markers must touch at least three non-colored (not red or blue) area borders and have at least four areas between it and other home realm setup markers

The left most marker does pose an interesting positioning choice as it would probably get overlooked as you would count the hexes between the markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peltazoid wrote:
No, It is not legal as the top home marker is touching a impassable border which is against the setup rules.

Rule Book, Page 8 wrote:
After each player has placed his two map tiles, the first player takes a number of home realm setup markers equal to the number of players. He places these, one at a time, adjacent to the edge of the game board. Each of these markers must touch at least three non-colored (not red or blue) area borders and have at least four areas between it and other home realm setup markers

The marker IS touching 3 non-colored borders. It doesn't say it can't touch ANY colored borders, only that it must touch 3 edges that aren't colored.

On it's own (IE, not considering proximity to the other marker), that specific marker IS legally placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Response from Corey:

MY QUESTION:
2) Regarding Home Realm Token placem ent; I am pretty sure you had said something about this before, but I can't find the response anywhere. Here is a picture someone posted:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/904996/pabula?size=origin...

Now, on the surface, this looks legal; however, once the two top Home Realm Tokens are replaced with actual Home Realm tiles, there will only be ONE area in between them (as they will both be touching the Mountain tile with the Dragon).

I'm fairly sure in the past that you'd said that the 4 (or 3, for last tile) spacing between home realm tiles includes post-tile placement, and not just measured from the actual home realm token; IE, the token represents where it will go, but when checking legal distance, you measure from all areas which the placed tile will touch.

Is this correct? IE, would the image shown above in fact be an "illegal" home realm placement, because they would be too close together? Again, I think it is illegal, but just wanted to confirm.

COREY'S RESPONSE:
The answer is that this placement is ILLEGAL, as it will cause the home realms to be to close to eachother. I hope this answers your question!

Thus, it's as I suspected (and confirms the ruling I remember from earlier) - the tokens are just placeholders, but the FULL Home Realm should be considered when determining how close they are, not just those touching the setup token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.