Recommend
33 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Drum Roll» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drum Roll English Rules Released rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We are releasing a beta version of the rules of the game. This version does not include illustrated examples or flavor text.

It is strictly to give you an idea of what this game is about.

We continue to develop the game and will be updating the online version of the rules as often as possible adding examples, flavor and correcting typos.

When everything is final we will submit the rules on Drum Roll's file archive as well.

We welcome your comments and questions.


First version rules can be found here.
New rulebook available. Please see below.
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job ,
be careful with the fonts though i think they make reading the rules harder.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks for posting the English Rules! This is great looking game and I can hardly wait to play it. It's unfortunate that I probably won't see a copy until this time next year! cry
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I read the rules. How do the cubes impact performance? It's not mentioned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Ok I read the rules. How do the cubes impact performance? It's not mentioned.


Illustrated examples will make everything perfectly clear but we are still waiting on a lot of illustrations to be delivered.

Meanwhile let me try to enlighten you here.

Each performer has specific needs.


For example this flame eater requires equipment and a costume (yellow and blue) in order to do a poor performance. In return in the show he will earn you a trailer ( which reduces a performer's salary by 1 coin).

If you provide him with a promotion cube as well (green), this will result in a good performance which will earn you the one time action of giving any cube in order to fully skip a payment of a single salary in the current show.

Finaly if you give him more rehearsals (white), he will do an outstanding performance and you will earn the above ability without having to spend a cube to do it.

OR



you can now flip the card over...(which can only be done once per game for each performer), discard all the cubes and earn the Prestige Points offered by this outstanding performance.

In this particular case you will earn 1PP for each Bizzare (red) performer in your circus.

I hope this gave you an idea of how important resources ( cubes) are. Keep in mind that in order to do a better performance ( indicated by the number of starts on the left) you need to have the above completed. You do no need to do all levels to reach the outstanding. but it's hard to do it for lots of performers at the same time, so it is better to balance the levels as good as you can in order to achive the most benefits.


Cheers
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Altanis
Greece
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovative (thematically) and attractive. Looks like a nice merging of mechanics and theme. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic.

My only suggestion would be to layout the graphics on the performer in a more logical order, perhaps with punctuation or mathematics symbols. For the above example, something like:


[Y][B] -> + [trailer]
[G] -> + [cube for skipped salary graphic]
[W] -> + [Skip Salary graphic]


I may be misinterpreting the rules, but I think you should get what I mean about the order of graphics:
[Cost] -> [Reward]
as opposed to:
[Points][Cost][Reward]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you gain points. The stars are there for fluff or to denote the level of the accomplishment if I remember correctly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Base the Bass wrote:
I don't think you gain points. The stars are there for fluff or to denote the level of the accomplishment if I remember correctly.


In that case I would lose them completely and maybe just do horizontal lines to separate the levels. I'd also find something (font or graphic) to make the prestige points bolder, as opposed to the little unremarkable "1" in the top left corner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prather
United States
Independence
KY
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:




What does that 1 in the top right mean?

Are all of the performers of the same type exactly the same in cube requirements? (I hope not...)

What are the investments / personnel?

Tickets, how do they work?

I'm really excited. Keep us posted, and we'll hype it for you. =)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ12121616 wrote:
3pod wrote:




What does that 1 in the top right mean?

Are all of the performers of the same type exactly the same in cube requirements? (I hope not...)

What are the investments / personnel?

Tickets, how do they work?

I'm really excited. Keep us posted, and we'll hype it for you. =)


I have already began setting up illustrated examples for the rule book. Some should be in it later today.

As mentioned in the rulebook, when a performer does an outstanding performance, ( can be done even from the first show as long as the player equips the performer with all the required cubes) they have to decide between taking the benefits OR flipping the performer (returning all cube to supply) and getting the prestige points they offer.

1) After that, the player must pay salaries as normal. In the card above, the top right coin (with the two arrows) indicates that during the show in which the performer is flipped over, the salary is 4. If any further shows are given, the Flame Eater's salary will only be 1 coin (if equipped with a trailer it will be 0 ).

2) Every performer has different cube requirements.

3) Personnel is hired during the action phase. They give the player extra abilities such as, being able to convert cube in the beggining of distribution phase. Others offer prestige point or the ability to move 3 cube on to the performers during distribution phase and many more.

Investment cards can be acquired by performing the invest action during the action phase, or by using magicians. While invest action will simply give you the top card of the investment deck, Magicians can allow you to look at more than one card before (up to 3) in order to choose the one you want. Investment cards offer you one-time actions that can be performed at any moment (unless specified differently). I will post some as soon as we've got their illustrations.

4) Tickets are the easiest way to acquire something of vital importance in Drum Roll. Coins. Other ways are through investment and personnel and of course with the use of Acrobats and Tamers in your circus. Acrobat offer direct amounts of coins with their performance while Tamers allow you to convert cube into coins.

The mechanic in tickets is simple. Each time you performer the tickets action ( can be done more than once each turn and by more than one players) you move your token on step done in the tickets track and acquire the number indcated in coins. When you reach the bottom of the first column, you move to the next one. This means that the more you use the action, the more money you get.

Please keep questions coming It will help us improove the rulebook and clearify everything.

Thank you.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prather
United States
Independence
KY
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:

1) After that, the player must pay salaries as normal. In the card above, the top right coin (with the two arrows) indicates that during the show in which the performer is flipped over, the salary is 4. If any further shows are given, the Flame Eater's salary will only be 1 coin (if equipped with a trailer it will be 0 ).


Can multiple trailers be equipped? Logic says no, do the rules say yes?

3pod wrote:

The mechanic in tickets is simple. Each time you performer the tickets action ( can be done more than once each turn and by more than one players) you move your token on step done in the tickets track and acquire the number indcated in coins. When you reach the bottom of the first column, you move to the next one. This means that the more you use the action, the more money you get.


I'll assume this is the next time you take a Sell Tickets action, yes?

Edit: One quick thing. Can you post a version number / date on the online rulebook when you update it? I believe this would help us stay on the same page. (Pun realized, but not intentional.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ12121616 wrote:
3pod wrote:

1) After that, the player must pay salaries as normal. In the card above, the top right coin (with the two arrows) indicates that during the show in which the performer is flipped over, the salary is 4. If any further shows are given, the Flame Eater's salary will only be 1 coin (if equipped with a trailer it will be 0 ).


Can multiple trailers be equipped? Logic says no, do the rules say yes?


No, each performer can only have up to one trailer.

JJ12121616 wrote:
3pod wrote:

The mechanic in tickets is simple. Each time you performer the tickets action ( can be done more than once each turn and by more than one players) you move your token on step done in the tickets track and acquire the number indcated in coins. When you reach the bottom of the first column, you move to the next one. This means that the more you use the action, the more money you get.


I'll assume this is the next time you take a Sell Tickets action, yes?

Yes. You do not automatically move to the next one. It is as you said, the next time you take the action.

JJ12121616 wrote:
Edit: One quick thing. Can you post a version number / date on the online rulebook when you update it? I believe this would help us stay on the same page. (Pun realized, but not intentional.)


Yes I will do it. Also I will notify on this post. meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rulebook of Drum Roll is now online!

You can view it here.

In this new version you will find complete details on how to play the game, as well as examples and illustrations.

Rulebook is about 95% complete ( missing just a couple of images and the credits).

Once the rulebook is complete, German, French and Italian versions will follow.

I have included the date in the PDF's title so that you can easily check if there is a newer version available.

As always I welcome your comments and will be happy to answer your questions.

Cheers

Konstantinos

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascucci Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give us the measurements of the cards, so that once the game comes out immediately put them in protective card?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pask wrote:
Can you give us the measurements of the cards, so that once the game comes out immediately put them in protective card?


The cards are euro size ( like puerto rico, princes of florence, le havre etc.)

9.1 x 5.9cm
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascucci Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK congratulations for the game

The game is balanced for any number of players or is there an ideal number?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pask wrote:
OK congratulations for the game

The game is balanced for any number of players or is there an ideal number?


Thank you . We tried to have the game offer the same experience regardless of players. I believe action limitations achieve this.

Of course with fewer players its easier to keep track on the others' strategies but after a few plays, this can be done with more players as well. The reason we limited the number of players to 4 (instead of 5) was purely because the game already needs a fairly large area to play on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascucci Alessio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the game through Giochix and I have to wait until November cry

The game I like the simple rules, the stunning graphics that you are able to give and because it seems fairly balanced for any number of players.

For those who did pre-order there are 5 cards limited great idea.If the game sells well, you're going to make expansions for 5 / 6 players in addition to the new cards?

excuse my bad English but I'm using an online translator cry

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prather
United States
Independence
KY
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Will this be at Gen-Con (2011)?

Looking forward to playing it really soon!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Check out my latest game, A Thief's Fortune, currently on Kickstarter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ12121616 wrote:
Will this be at Gen-Con (2011)?

Looking forward to playing it really soon!


The game will be released on the 20th of Oct 2011 at Essen-Spiel 2011.

Worldwide pre-order start on the 1st of September 2011 from www.artipiagames.com

Customers from Italy can already pre-order the game from Giochix.it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
3pod wrote:
We welcome your comments and questions.

I offer my (paid) services to translate the rules from Flemish Dutch and an annoying amount of semantical and syntactical errors, to proper written Dutch and a lot less errors. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.