Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago, my wife and I were in Rio de Janeiro, teaching at an international school there. My wife is a social studies teacher, decided that she needed a creative way to teach her world government class about different types of governments. Away from the plethora of resources she would have had in the states, we set about making a board game. We did so, and printed it out, laminated it with contact paper, all that. The game was very well received and apparently both fun and pretty effective as an educational tool. Then we moved back to the states, had a baby, changed jobs and generally put the game on the shelf for a while.

Fast forward to a few months ago, when I ran across TheGamecrafter.com. It seemed like a pretty neat idea, and my wife suggested that I take a crack at bringing our game, called "Revolution!" at the time, up to snuff.

So, about 6 months, one graphic overhaul, multiple rule changes, many playtests and a name change later (curse you Steve Jackson!), I've just sent off for my first non-Kinko's edition of what is now called "Statecraft" from Gamecrafter. Next up is more playtesting and likely further revisions.

After putting in all that work, I've begun wondering whether Gamecrafter really is the way to go. I'm not thrilled at the price it's going to end up being, but I don't have the capital to go through some place that requires any sort of significant minimum order.

So, after all that, here's my question--are there any publishers out there that would be particularly interested in a card-driven historical/political board game designed to be played in a world government, world history or related class, but perfectly suitable for recreational play as well? The game itself is kind of a cross between Twilight Struggle and Catan, with the KISS principle made paramount (it was originally designed for high school, after all). I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you folk have.

Also, if you're in the Seattle area and are interested, I'm hoping to get some neutral observers to playtest the game at some point here.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristine Peartree
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no advice on getting your game published, but I'm certain my two children would love to try out your game; it sounds like a perfect match for our history curriculum this year. We live north of the county line in Brier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
University Games maybe?
http://www.universitygames.com/contactus.asp

Click on the link where it says "Game inventors please click here."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you!

I'm not sure University Games is the right forum, as they seem pretty focused on the primary market. But they do have a nice submission form, as you point out, so it's probably worth a shot.

In the meantime, here are a couple sample cards, to give a sense of the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.