Michael Caraway
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey,

Just wanted to drop a note about a recent visit I made to Tabletop game store in Overland Park, Kansas.

Since I live in Liberty, MO, I haven't been to Tabletop in many years and I decided to punch them into the GPS and head out there and see what was going on.

When I walked in the door, I was pleasantly greeted by a gentleman behind the counter who was having a discussion with a customer. Nice.
Next, I noticed immediately how CLEAN and well organized the retail area was. Nice. Then I was completely blown away by the selection of board games! Holy crap, I was expecting to see about half of what I acutally saw! Nice. As I was browsing, I was casually asked twice by two different people if I needed help finding anything. I responded in the negative both times and was left to my browsing. Nice. Lastly, I went in back to scope out the playing area. It was a nice, large, well lit and clean area with plenty of tables. Nice.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. I didn't purchase anything and I didn't stay too long since I had my significant other with me. If I had seen San Juan laying on a shelf, I probably would have grabbed it, but there were so many games overlaoding my geek sense that I probably missed it!

One thing not related to Tabletop, but some folks from KC might remember; when I got to the shopping center where Tabletop was located, I immediately recognized that it was the same center where the old Kings Crown game store was located many years ago. That actually brought back bad memories of my one and only visit and the way that I was treated there by the curmudgeon that ran that store back then.

Anyway, I am sure anyone who is on BGG and from the KC area knows about Tabletop. I just wanted to share my thoughts on what appears to be a good FLGS.

There is nothing in the Northern (North of the River) part of KC that even remotely resembles a game store. I am seriously considering making it happen. Right after I get out of extended therapy for even thinking about it!

Why does this therapist keep asking me about my mother? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Filko
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in KS an TableTop is great. The people who work at the store are always friendly. On a business trip back to Kansas I had some flexibility and scheduled the trip so I could attend a Thursday night game session.

-Jeremy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kansas City is blessed with at least 2 great stores. I've been to Tabletop and concur about the selection. Pulp Fiction in Lee's Summit (the other side of KC) has a great selection, too, and is run by the greatest people on the planet.

I'm unaware of any others, though. Those two seem to be the ones discussed the most when people bring up Kansas City stores.

Lawrence (25 minutes west of Overland Park) has Hometown Games. It has more cardboard per square foot than Dimples has Donuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get up to Kansas City 2-3 times a year and every visit contains a pilgrimmage to Table Top Games. I have visited boardgame stores throughout the United States and nothing compares to the professionalism and friendliness of the staff at this shop. Simply the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been to TableTop once and that was my last visit up there. I was blown away by the friendliness of the store owners/workers and the shop was very clean and organized. I will make it a point to stop in there on each of my visits to KC from now on, which is about 2-3 times a year. They had a very diverse selection of euros, wargames and mini's which is hard to find anymore as it seems that most stores around the midwest at least tend to specialize in one thing or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Maksimik
United States
Liberty
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually live up in Liberty as well and I agree 100 percent of your observations. I have been going to Tabletop for years and is my regular Tuesday night destination for miniatures wargaming.

Phil is the owner and is the absolute nicest guy in the gaming biz. Everyone he has ever hired to work there have always been excellent people with good knowledge of the products. I totally recommend this store for anyone who lives in, around, or even just visiting the Kansas City area. You will not be disappointed in the customer service and environment of the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thursday night gaming is also excellent! Now that I've moved from Lawrence to Olathe, I get over there a little more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I"m a few hours west on I-70 (Hays, there's no FLGS in at least a 150 mile radius), but I'll have to stop in there next time I go visit my family in KC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a customer at Tabletop for a good 7 or 8 years since they were over on Quivera. I can't say enough good things about the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gicante
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TableTop is hands down the number 1 game store around KC. I live a good hour away and make time to visit at least once a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.