Subject: Stopping your own TO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

PGSC let's you defeat any one takeover with just 1 PP. Interestingly enough, that includes a TO coming from you.

As far as I know, the only reason you'd want to do this is to prolong the game. Although people who load up on PP typically score very high, I've seen games where such people are still NOT in the lead. When a IV and/or V comes they'll gain 1 or more PP, reach 15+ PP, and will end the game, so I suppose it may be worth sacrificing your III turn to "dump" one of your PP. Especially if you don't have any worlds worth settling that will give sufficient pts to win the game. You may need to IVx3, or II something that'll give you much more pts instead. Or, just explore and take your chances with whatever will happen in the next round.

Alternatively, there are typically better ways to prolong the game if you can... (discarding from tableau.... NMT to settle a world where you don't need its military power, ICT as a TO attempt that couldn't possibly succeed, and ICT/Colony Ship/R&D even though you can afford what you need to pay for). IIF will probably require you to use it as part of a TO that fails. Otherwise, you'll get your 2 PP for using the non-TO portion of it alone.

For keeping prestige down below 15, using Alien Booby Trap, GPB, ICB for a failed attempt, or Prestige-action card are alternatives if you can anticipate this sort of thing and/or have those powers available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can shorten the game too. Scenario:

3-player, turn order A, B, C, you are B. A has 11 cards on tableau entering the settle phase, you are a development-heavy player with takeover powers and a slim lead, C has large military and Improved Logstics but few cards on tableau. For the settle, A reveals a 12th card, you have no world in hand, C reveals a large-scoring world. Calculating, you see that if C's 2nd world is another large-scoring one he would win if the game were to end this turn.

You have two choices here:
i) Do nothing, pray that C's 2nd world is not big enough to win.
ii) Declare TO against one of A's worlds to stop game from ending. Next turn, you can put out another big-scoring development.

If you choose ii) and player C subsequently shows a very small world for his ImpLog settle, you could well be able to stop your own TO and still win the game. If so then that is what you should do - turn a good chance of winning into a certainty, by shortening the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.