Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy fans know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'd be willing to guess that Cornucopia games use those 5 "unique" cards like starting worlds in RftG, and you replace one of your copper with one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My point's been brought up elsewhere, but I'll mention it again: What of the sixth player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
My point's been brought up elsewhere, but I'll mention it again: What of the sixth player?
Dominion only scales up to 4 in my universe.

Sorry bud - when you get to 6, it's time to play two 3-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Race for the Galaxy fans know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'd be willing to guess that Cornucopia games use those 5 "unique" cards like starting worlds in RftG, and you replace one of your copper with one of those.

Someone else suggested end-game bonuses like Race has, such as the 6-Cost Developments or the optional 1st/most bonuses. More likely the former than the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
Dominion only scales up to 4 in my universe.

Sorry bud - when you get to 6, it's time to play two 3-player games.
It's not what you think (which I wholeheartidly agree with), but what RGG has made available in Intrigue.... that you could try to play Dominion with 6p. Of course though, they did seem to indicate that with only 4 player mats in Seaside (Island, Pirate Ship, Native Village), and only 12 Colonies (instead of 15 or 18 of them) in Prosperity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Eco
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Of course though, they did seem to indicate that with only 4 player mats in Seaside (Island, Pirate Ship, Native Village), and only 12 Colonies (instead of 15 or 18 of them) in Prosperity.

There are six of each mat in seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UmbertoEco wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Of course though, they did seem to indicate that with only 4 player mats in Seaside (Island, Pirate Ship, Native Village), and only 12 Colonies (instead of 15 or 18 of them) in Prosperity.

And there are 8 of each mat in Prosperity, as well, but the 5+ player game was always a "variant" and never struck me as being very official.

Since its a small-box, I can see them saying "this is for 2-4 players ONLY so deal with it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the cards don't make your starting deck better, so the usual starting deck is a 6th option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Or the cards don't make your starting deck better, so the usual starting deck is a 6th option.
Interesting, thought I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5 things worse than copper.

But your theory works just as well the other way. The 7copper/3 estate deck could be for player 1, and the other 5 could be better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Interesting, thought I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5 things worse than copper.

But your theory works just as well the other way. The 7copper/3 estate deck could be for player 1, and the other 5 could be better...
Ooo...good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I don't find this a compelling argument is that I would think if they were going to have "starting worlds", they'd have more of them - like 10, to increase the variance. I'm still of a mind that it's goals of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with 'starting worlds' is that it would basically yank away the thing that makes Dominion intrinsically balanced: everybody starts with the same deck. Once that's gone, the amount of playtesting you'd have to do to balance the game would be astronomical and no matter how much you did, you'd still be left with one of two problems.

Problem #1: One or two of the world cards is going to be much better than the others for any given cards in the supply, giving some players a large advantage over the others OR

Problem #2: The changes made by the worlds are so minor and boring as to not be worth including in the game

So prove me wrong. Come up with even one 'starting world' scenario that doesn't have one of those two issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Columbia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
UmbertoEco wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

And there are 8 of each mat in Prosperity, as well, but the 5+ player game was always a "variant" and never struck me as being very official.

Since its a small-box, I can see them saying "this is for 2-4 players ONLY so deal with it."

The Seaside mats are each specific to a card. The Prosperity mat is for VP tokens. So if you had one six-player game with any number of Seaside and Prosperity cards, you are covered. If you had two four-player games, each using some Seaside and some Prosperity cards, you are covered, even if one setup has Goons and the other has Bishop, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, to be honest. You don't like 5-6 player games, therefore it's not something supported by the designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have something like start worlds. The game does have an "artificial start world" anyways when you take your first 2 turns to buy cards, but this would be an even better way to spice up the standard 7 Copper and 3 Estates. That's one reason I like playing with the local/offline version of Dominion. The campaign mode offers various scenarios, changing up what you start off with, setting different win conditions, and forcing you to think unconventionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Plourde
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the cards change the starting point for all players equally?

So If you play with the "Wealthy Inheritance" card you start with 3 estates, 4 coppers and 3 silvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe those five cards are all special action/curses.

Like... -10VP but then it gives you some crazy ability...

Thematically it could be that all the opulence grants you material benefits but at the same time tarnishes your soul*... or something

*Can you say this in english? I know you can tarnish your reputation... but your soul? hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackRainbow wrote:
Maybe those five cards are all special action/curses.

Like... -10VP but then it gives you some crazy ability...

Thematically it could be that all the opulence grants you material benefits but at the same time tarnishes your soul*... or something

*Can you say this in english? I know you can tarnish your reputation... but your soul? hmm.

That really doesn't seem to be in theme at all with the new expansion though: variety and farming. Not...pacts with the devil and Faustian bargains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@discordjack: maybe, maybe not But I'd really like it if Mr. Vaccarino did something original with the curses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the VP chips from Prosperity really make it feel like "Race for the Dominion".

Now this expansion adds something closely akin to 6-cost developments. But I'm not sure if I really want Dominion feeling like Race in just about every way. On the other hand, since I now play Race almost exclusively, maybe it will bring me back to Dominion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theright555J wrote:
Indeed, the VP chips from Prosperity really make it feel like "Race for the Dominion".

Now this expansion adds something closely akin to 6-cost developments. But I'm not sure if I really want Dominion feeling like Race in just about every way. On the other hand, since I now play Race almost exclusively, maybe it will bring me back to Dominion...

So far the only things Dominion and RftG have in common is that they use cards and victory point chips (sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
theright555J wrote:

So far the only things Dominion and RftG have in common is that they use cards and victory point chips (sometimes).
--They're both eurogames
--they both have many expansions
--they're both highly ranked games here on BGG
--The randomizer deck for Dominion is already as big as RftG with the 1st exp

--they both have a concept of building up engine vs building up VP
--both have about the same level of "interaction"
--they have powers that break the standard rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They both have Wei Hwa as a play tester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackRainbow wrote:

Kind of. It doesn't sound off to me, but it's not a thing I'd ever heard somebody say before. It sounds somewhat pleasantly poetic to me.

Anyway, back on topic. If they're something like start worlds it would definitely have to be something that applied to everybody. So either an alternate starting deck composition, or a persistent/reusable power that everybody has access to. With only five of them, the variety just isn't there to have each person get a different one, and as noted elsewhere in this thread it's a design nightmare.

The idea of a persistent/reusable power is appealing to me. It could be something that affects the game while it's being played (skip your turn to trash a card from hand) or something that affects scoring (each victory point card is worth one extra or one fewer VP, gain one extra VP chip the first time you gain a VP chip on a turn).

IMO, high value singleton cards in the supply would be way too swingy. First to hit 7? Sweet, have a unique advantage. That's just not a good call IMO. Although, something that remained in play and could be purchased away from you could be interesting. Or something that you buy or somehow pay to activate that remains in play and affects everybody could also be interesting. A card where you buy it for 5 and as an additional cost to play trash an attack card from your hand that makes all curses count as +1VP would be interesting (maybe you get to choose if it is trashed without effect or goes into play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

--They're both eurogames
--they both have many expansions
--they're both highly ranked games here on BGG

--< snip >--

--they both have a concept of building up engine vs building up VP
--both have about the same level of "interaction"
--they have powers that break the standard rules

Quite a few of these points are redundant

rrenaud wrote:
They both have Wei Hwa as a play tester.

Aha! Clearly his influence is creeping into the design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.