Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Corbett
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played a game of Puerto Rico where the winner did not have a small or large market? I have tried to test the hypothesis that it is not possible. I've come soooo close before. The game has a lot of different strategies. I try the lots of types of good/factory angle or the Ship indigo 'til it hurts tactic.

Am I crazy, or does it seems like you need a market to win the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I win a lot without them. Small Market is nice, but hardly necessary. I play Factory/Harbor/Wharf. Sm. Market is cool, but Large is lame. Not worth the cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Essick
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of course. All it takes is a person to your right that doesn't know what he's doing and you can win with any strategy, which is why I don't like this game near as much as I used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Corbett wrote:
Has anyone played a game of Puerto Rico where the winner did not have a small or large market? I have tried to test the hypothesis that it is not possible. I've come soooo close before. The game has a lot of different strategies. I try the lots of types of good/factory angle or the Ship indigo 'til it hurts tactic.

Am I crazy, or does it seems like you need a market to win the game?

You may want to read some of the strategy guides on the PR page. The small market is a good building, but the large market is usually shunned. The best building (in the view of many people) is the Harbor - but even then it is no guarantee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won and seen plenty of games won without the small market. There are many helpful strategy articles on the Geek and the Web at large which should help you see some other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the large market is great, especially if you have a few quarries, and are persuing a shipping strategy.

You don't need any building in particular to win the game, though having at least one big one would sure help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Corbett
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. Most of the people I play with are quite smart so I've never had the problem with player placement. I didn't realize the large market was such a disadvantage! I guess a huge pile of money doesn't do you any good at the end of the game! I haven't played with any of the new buildings, but the black market seems interesting. Any thoughts on the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott ramage
United States
Clarkesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I hardly ever buy the small market (hardly ever, ever buy large market) and usually win with my friends. I usually go the hospice/wharf or harbor route. Hospice will almost guarantee high production, and high production goes hand in hand with shipping/captain. You can win by getting more vp chips than them, even if they outbuild you. Heh, but no guarantees ! Its a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play Puerto Rico the more I'm starting to wonder if the Hacienda is the best building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate, I was about to post the same thing. As hard as it is to make gross generalizations in PR (the 3,4 and 5 player games are all quite different), I think the Hacienda is virtually unequaled in cost/value ratio, no matter how many players there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.