Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by a conversation in this thread, the thought occurred to me:

Are there concepts of alien powers whose potential is light enough to where their flawed nature makes them hardly worth zapping? I'm not talking about "Bad Powers" per se, but just lighter, more exploitable traits based on existing powers? (For humor's sake, this thread kind of mocks the MMO chestnut whining about having your favorite class' powers removed/made weaker.)

Nerfed Miser: 12 card hand, nothing is protected.
Nerfed Macron: Ships worth 2, launch limit of 4 (normal).
Nerfed Amoeba: Can either put in enough ships to double committed force, or take out up to half of committed ships.
Nerfed Vacuum: Every time you lose ships, pick one player to lose one ship of his/her choice.
Nerfed Grudge: Player loses a ship of their choice to the warp every time they refuse an invitation from Grudge.
Nerfed Warpish: +1 to combat total for every X ships in warp (X = number of players).

More importantly, would powers of this nature be considered fun to play? Ask Symbiote.

Here's a thought-idea that entered my head as I typed this: "Larval Powers". They start weak and inconsequential but later develop into fully-functional adults.

Run with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nova cards the Gerald Katz created do tend to nerf other powers, at least for the player who holds one. Sometimes it amounts to a total immunity for the cardholder (and sometimes just a reduced effect). I like them a bit. What's also nice about them is you only need include the cards for those powers that are in the game, and the effects are right on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already some existing powers that generally "aren't worth zapping", for a few different reasons.

Some are actually strong powers, but their strength is spread out in such small increments that stopping just one of those uses often feels like a waste of your zap. The best examples are probably Cryo, Healer, Philanthropist, and, when you have no single-ship colonies, Shadow.

Others are difficult to spend a zap on because it's hard to predict whether you're actually stopping something that's going to hurt you or not. These include powers that you'd have to zap before you even know whether the player is going to target you, like Dictator and Hacker, and powers that just draw cards (whose value you cannot predict), like Ghoul, Mercenary, and Remora.

And others just have unusual situations: Sniveler only uses his power when he's dead last in some category, so he can easily feel like he's not worth the effort (unless you think somebody will refuse to comply and cost you something); and unless Genius is on the verge of an alternate win, who wants to keep him from throwing away a colony?

I'm not saying these aliens are never worth zapping; but all things being equal, these are some powers that I think often fly under the radar and generally create a feeling that your zap is better spent on somebody else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.