Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say that I like this game and understand it's meant to be light.

However, the gamer in me wants just a bit more of a challenge. I hope people come up with variations for this game. It's fun to move around the board but a lot of the time everyone is moving along together.

The biggest challenge is to make it in less than 80 days. I only wish the game had a few more elements to hold other players back from advancing. There's just too many options to obtain the necessary cards needed to advance.

Maybe that's the gamer in me. Still fun to play though, just really light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Re:A little more challenge please...
The biggest challenge is to make it in less than 80 days. I only wish the game had a few more elements to hold other players back from advancing. There's just too many options to obtain the necessary cards needed to advance.

You're right about the game being light, and with lightness often comes a lessening of intense competition. If you could restrict the travel of other players beyond placing the detective to discourage movement, the game would be much less family-friendly -- and that's not what Kosmos had in mind.

Don't worry about holding others back. Everyone draws a card every turn, so players will always be able to move ahead. The challege, as you correctly point out, is moving as efficiently as possible so that you use fewer days than everyone else. Play against your previous scores and try to better the score each time.

I prefer the game with five or six players as you have more options for choosing cards and more possibilities for squeezing out efficient play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we all played again with the understanding that it's "meant" to be somewhat easy to obtain the necessary travel cards. This TOTAL focus on "efficiency," however, really changed our outlook on the game.

Some players held back this time, while others chose a lot more event cards.

Chosing the the best actions and playing the right cards efficiently is more important than just getting a ship or a train card.

Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A challenge to make it in less than 80 days? I've played around 6 games with 5-6 players every time and maybe TWICE has a person not made it in time. I very much doubt that tiebreaker for everyone showing up after 80 will often be used.

The challenge, as pointed out, is to be most efficient. The detective shouldn't be used to halt as many people from possible as moving. It should be usually used to force the most efficient player to do what he doesn't want to do. This isn't always easy to determine when the players are strung out amongst a few cities. As long as the game is new, you can bet only a few people will get this and so if you are hanging back and being most efficient, you'll win every time. You DO have to beware if at least one other person is on the same page as you though. While the two of you will likely trounce everyone else's scores, you have to watch out that the other guy doesn't slide in to London before you, eliminating you alltogether if you can't make it in that round.

I suspect that once you're sitting down and playing with a full load of players who know what they're doing, the tiebreaker MIGHT actually matter since everyone will be hanging back to minimize their score, but I haven't played with such a crowd yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump (#470855),

I played with a crowd of hangerbacks. One guy realized it and made a no-holds barred break for the finish line ending with 112 days.. but four turns ahead of everybody else.. which forced everyone into gear.. up came a few storm/delay cards.. and the winner squeezed in at 80 with everyone else over.. it almost worked for the breaker... a lot depends on what everyone else does.. but I generally agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (based on one game and some analysis) that the over/under 80 days is a group think thing. In our six player game, no one made 80 days. IIRC, one guy had a shot at it while in NY, but had to have perfect cards which he didn't get. Everyone moved forward at nearly every opporunity. If four of the six do this, the others can't lag behind or their scores will not be considered.

Now, is it kingmaking for someone who would be the fourth over, but already has more than 80 days, to move over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.