Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey again,

Descent will come with 12 types of monsters. There are 3 groups, split into 4 'tiers' of difficulty. So, you encounter the lower tiers earlier in a quest, and higher tiers as you continue and gain power in the form of treasure and training.

Each type of also appears in a lieutenant variant that is stronger than the normal monsters of that type. These are represented with red miniatures (normal monsters are probably going to be molded in gray, as there's no color-coded player scaling as in Doom). There are also named monsters, which have their stats listed in the quest write-up and are even more powerful. Named monsters are also represented using the red miniatures.

As for the monsters themselves, here's a list of some of them (note that special abilities may still change if playtesting demands it)....

Melee Monsters

Beastmen - The weakest melee monsters, beastmen are reasonably tough and have a bit of armor piercing. Lieutenant beastmen also have the ability to command, giving themselves and all friendly figures nearby a bonus to range and damage.

Razorwing - Flying bat-creatures that ignore obstacles and enemy figures when moving. Lightning fast, razorwings are an excellent hit and run unit. Lieutenants have a sonic shriek that can stun a hero.

Ogre - Huge, hulking creatures with a heavy hitting attack that sends heroes flying. Ogre lieutenants, sometimes referred to as 'trolls', are undying, which means that there is a chance that they'll be completely healed when dealt a killing blow. They are, fortunately, quite rare.

Giant - The ultimate melee monster, giants have longer reach than most melee creatures, allowing them to attack up to 2 spaces away. Their strikes can stun heroes, and the lieutenants get the dreaded sweep ability, allowing them to attack every enemy within their range with a single attack.

Next up, the ranged monsters, when I get a chance.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:[FFG] Monster preview...
KevinW (#470501), Awesome!! Thank you so much for the information! This does have me wanting this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buczynski
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey Kevin, thanks for sharing.

The "trolls" sound absolutely formidable. Encountering a named ogre lieutenant will be quite a boss fight.

Giants are surely the Hellknights of Descent, maybe leaning towards Cyberdemons. robot

Are beastmen the fodder of Descent, like goblins in Heroquest? What I'm asking, could a high level character with his own Sweep ability mow through a couple in a single attack? Heh heh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergenth (#470589),

The ogre lieutenants have been a highlight of any playtest they were used in. One managed to revive itself 3 times before finally dying, to much cheering.

Giants are sort of like Hellknights on really big steroids. The only real way to keep it from hitting multiple heroes is to huddle in a corridor behind one designated hittee.

And yes, beastmen are the fodder of the game, along with the first tier monsters in the other two groups. I've seen 3 go down with a single sweep attack. I've also noticed that heroes will wade through just about anything to get rid of a beastman lieutenant, so aggravating is its command ability.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW (#470599),

Sounds good. Seems like it will be a bit more tactical and varied than other games of its type. (Hero Quest, Warhammer Quest)

Is there going to be competition between the Overlord and the other players like in Doom?

What are you doing to ensure the replayability of the scenarios?

Will it be more detailed/complicated than Doom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing... how will the game be different compared to Doom? I guess you made some decisions like "It will be similar to Doom in this way but completely differnt in this".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buczynski
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Kevin,

I was thinking, "how in the world would somebody think up an ability like "undying" unless they were inspired by some rent-controlled, shoulder-mounted muse of sadism.

And then I thought, "wait... these heroes have probably gone down in the dungeon on purpose expecting this sort of thing."

That thought led to, "There's got to be some sort of in-game/in-scenario reward for defeating an undying ogre three times in a row. Experience points, courage, fame, troll burgers... something!"

Well, now I have a head start for scenario idears. laugh

Thanks for the anecdotal evidence of your insanity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.