United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been overly thrilled with the Tasty Minstrel Games website for quite awhile, for various reasons...

That is why there will be a redesign. This time from a professional designer as opposed to me hacking and slashing some code on top of Wordpress.

Please discuss here what you would like to see from an updated Tasty Minstrel website. We will review the suggestions and then proceed from there.

Also, if you are or know an amazingly talented web designer that works well within the framework of Wordpress, then I would be happy to learn more about them for completing the actual work.

Thanks,

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever heard of this:

homestead.com/

I used it to build my own website. chainsaw-creations.com

It's all point & click, the only typing you need to do is any text you'll have on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest using Drupal, it allows you to make a sand box type website through which admins can easily add new content.
example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Mallinson
United States
Winchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just see what the designer says. I don’t think you necessarily need to drop Wordpress. It’s a well-supported CMS that a lot of people are familiar with, and thus will be around for a while. I would probably restructure using what you already have. You could switch to Drupal, if you wanted more social features (I wouldn’t based on my next paragraph), or you could simplify things and host the blog on Tumblr (which would probably get you more eyeballs).

I could say the site 'site should do XYZ' but I prefer to be on BGG than a website for a company (eg- FFG, I don’t like their forums when the ones here are so much more active). It took me a while to find the rulebooks for your games, I didn’t think they would be under 'retailer support' and so I just started clicking around till I saw them. Rulebooks are the #1 thing I would go to a board game publisher site for.

The next most frequent reason I would visit would be to gawk at new releases (see:FFG). One other thing I found useful, again from FFG: short video introductions. I sent around a link to their Battlestar Galactica intro to drum up interest for game night and everyone was really impressed.

The only other thing: the Facebook widget was slow to load and it seems like it’s on every page. I would probably swap it out for a 'like' button and a little static text. It makes the site feel cheap. Oh yeah, and I would prefer to see actual photos for the game boxes, instead of 3D comps.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Mallinson
United States
Winchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salish99 wrote:
I suggest using Drupal, it allows you to make a sand box type website through which admins can easily add new content.
example

I would suggest (as someone who has used both for years) that you stick with what you have unless you really want to capitalize on the features distinct to Drupal. Drupal is also harder to design around, in my experience, so you are probably more likely to find a WP-familiar designer than a Drupal one.

PS - my favorite CMS is RadiantCMS. It’s amazingly simple, amazingly flexible, and amazingly irritating to upgrade on my hosting site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salish99 wrote:
example

I will be sticking with Wordpress. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to think a little beyond wordpress (and you should at least consider it), I'd recommend exploring a module-based approach. My theater company's website is just overhauling our (wordpress-powered, with attendant impossible backend) website now, and we landed on Joomla. It's very straightforward, it has a huge library of extensions, and it's all open source.

http://www.joomla.org

For the look of the site, we got a template from Rockettheme. They also have wordpress themes if you're dead set on sticking with them.

http://www.rockettheme.com/

In general, I'd echo what was said above and ask yourself -- why would someone visit my site?

As a board game player and sometimes designer, I'd visit a publisher's site for the following reasons:

1) to ooh and ahh over the upcoming releases, possibly to help decide on whether I'm going to purchase them
2) to find rules, errata, or support for a game I already own
3) to read design diaries, blog posts, and other "behind the games" info that's not available elsewhere (ie Bowen Simmon's amazing design diaries)
4) if the game is part of a series, to find info on the other items in that series gathered in a convenient place (as in Memoir 44, or Catan, or Wings of War)
5) to contact the developer directly with a request for support, such as a missing or broken piece, or a rules question, or to inquire if they are considering new game designs

Making those things easy is key. Others may have different priorities and needs but for me, a website that does those things is a good one, and one that doesn't, isn't -- everything else is gravy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There's certainly no need to drop wordpress. I've seen a number of very well designed blogs built on it. Also, while Drupal may be powerful, it's also very slow code to run. The last time I was working for a professional hosting company, we avoided it always, for fear of our sites DOSsing themselves if they got more than a few viewers at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, it sounds like the following is desired for the site:

1. Drool-ability - Upcoming games
2. Rules, Errata, Etc easily found
3. Video intros and various other videos
4. Exclusive "Behind The Games" information (maybe this would work well as a monthly podcast? Although I hesitate to such a commitment)
5. Support requests - Plain and simple

I am looking forward to additional suggestions, or concurrence to those listed above...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

4. Exclusive "Behind The Games" information (maybe this would work well as a monthly podcast? Although I hesitate to such a commitment)

I am looking forward to additional suggestions, or concurrence to those listed above...

1. Certainly Drool-ability, always good +1
2. I love being able to read rules before I buy a game +1
3. Intro videos are OK, they could be on your site or BGG, either way is good +1/2
4. I wouldn't commit yourself to a PodCast - a monthly newsletter is great, Z-Man does a nice monthly PDF with designer interviews and the like - I can even help you with this if you want. I know Z-man has a fan help out.
5. Support requests - naturally +1

Also, one thing I like: Official Variants (if applicable), these are always fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mcintyre
United States
ingleside
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

All excellent suggestions. But here is my story. I've visited the Tasty Minstrels website about a dozen times or more, but I have never once ordered a thing from it. Why? I've found rulebooks that I was able to read before I purchased the game - excellent! The game mechanics are interesting - excellent! However, I did not see a picture of the actual product. Either, the quality that I look for in a game simply is not there or the game designer is too focused on creating fun and exciting games that this small detail was overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago S
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

so where is the info in the site. I cant find anything, maybe im looking the wrong page, im on playtmg.com No rules, no faqs, no errata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.