Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talon Amores
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, this is my first time playing Paths of Glory (albeit solo; however, I think I oughta get a game on wargameroom or whatever it is real soon) and I'm slightly confused about how to build trenches.

So 11.2.2 says "After all movement for the Action Round is complete..." Does that mean at the very end of the Action Round, when both AP and CP have done all six of their actions, or is it at the end of any of their actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

The game has 20 Turns. Each turn has 6 Action Rounds. At the end of the movement phase of any action round, you can attempt to entrench any space that you activated for movement that has an army in the space that did not move. This is before you conduct combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
And, though you probably know this, it's only possible after one of the two sides has played Entrench as an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
HEY!! Who's the archvillain here?
badge
Power equals power!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great for the Germans is to rebuild 1½ army in Essen. You activate Essen and sent the whole army back to the front, while the flipped army stays behind trying to entrench. It's basically payed for. If it fails, it doesn't matter: new German armies will stack in Essen and each time they march to the front a free entrench attempt can be made by the flipped army staying behind.
(Same goes for Paris, to make a lvl 2 trench)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
(Same goes for Paris, to make a lvl 2 trench)

T2 in Paris is not always a good thing as Germans with a trench buster can walk into already trenched Paris after that. I don't actually roll for T2 to Paris even if have a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AP side has more useful things to do with their OPS than to attempt to dig Level 2 Trenches...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mollusc wrote:
The AP side has more useful things to do with their OPS than to attempt to dig Level 2 Trenches...

The extra column shift makes a big difference. It makes a 7 LN 16.6% less likely, and it makes it more likely for AP to tie or win the combat, so they can avoid having to take the extra step loss to hold the trench. Pays off even if you lose the space to a trench buster CC. GE can dig its own trench the first try half the time. Remember you have They Shall Not Pass as well.

One good trick is to try to keep your Russians in stacks of 3, and then move 2, leaving 1 behind to try for a trench. Level 2 trenchs in Intersberg, Grodno, Zhitomer, Kamenetz-Podloski are very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Mollusc wrote:

The extra column shift makes a big difference. It makes a 7 LN 16.6% less likely, and it makes it more likely for AP to tie or win the combat, so they can avoid having to take the extra step loss to hold the trench. Pays off even if you lose the space to a trench buster CC. GE can dig its own trench the first try half the time.

If you have forces next to the space lost then you have a chance to push the Germans out before they can roll for a trench. In one game I lost Paris three times, but the Germans never got a chance to entrench it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask a dumb newb question about trenches? Which color counter goes with which side? The blue ones are for the CP, grey for the Allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Yes.

Doesn't really matter though, as long as you use the colours consistently throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.