Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
First a question, then a story.

Davros lists his part of his cost as 2 card disruptions per turn. Is this optional and you lose him if you don't pay, or is it mandatory until he is forced out of play somehow?

Now a story where this question was critical.

So, I was the Master. I had Davros in play since the very beginning, paying my 2 disruption per turn. It got very near to the end of the game and I had 12 cards in my deck and the doctor had 10. I very much wanted to hit him hard because I only had 6 strength in the Earth column and he had a total of 9, including the planet. I had the Rani, so my plan was to play cards with disrupts until Temporal Anomaly came up, grab it, and put omega in play. I played General Staal to disrupt three cards. 9 cards left. I paid Davros. 7 cards left. Still nothing. So, I did a gutsy move and FINALLY atomized Skaro (I'd atomized Telos and Meteblis earlier), drawing three cards and putting me to my 4th regeneration (I was conservative this game, yet fierce enough to get the disruptions I generally needed).

I now had 4 cards left, but I got the anomaly. I played it, disrupting two cards from my deck and stuck Omega in, giving me 17 strength. I had 2 cards left in my deck. I disrupted 8 cards from the doctor, leaving him with 2 (rats!!!). The doctor drew his cards and used torchwood HQ counters to play Ace to destroy Dalek Caan in that row.

My turn arrived and I drew my last two cards. Here's where the argument began. I claimed that I couldn't pay Davros, so he would go away, leaving me with 11 strength and disrupting the doctor to death. My opponent claimed that since I had to disrupt more cards than I had, I had lost.

We argued a little bit. I don't like winning or losing over rules questions, so instead I pulled off a sneaky trick. I played Vashta Nerada to wipe both sides of the columns. This took Davros off the board, and since his "upkeep" is paid at a time of my choice in phase 2, I no longer had to pay the cost this turn. My opponent's mouth just dropped as I flipped myself to my 5th regeneration and said, "Your turn."

So, there was no argument over victory, but I'd love to have an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy reading your session reports, Eric.

Your opponent is correct: you cannot choose to discard Davros instead of paying his disrupt cost. He must receive his tally!

Davros is a formidable foe for the Doctor, but also a troublesome ally for the Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also glad to see that you're a fan of using the Temporal Anomaly card to bring out Omega. My good friend Andrew tries that one every game he can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Davros' 2 Disrupt cost occur on every player's turn, or only on the Masters turn (thus none on the doctors turn)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
felipe1982 wrote:
Does Davros' 2 Disrupt cost occur on every player's turn, or only on the Masters turn (thus none on the doctors turn)?

Only during the Master's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.