Subject: MORE qUESTIONS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after reluctantly being convinced that during the whole game only 12 or 15 cards are played.

Still seems an awfully small number to me... sigh...
I mean it means you actually only get to play 3 cards each.

I than said to playing a practise game on my own.
Now I'd like to check if I've got thing right.

So if one player builds something with his worker, this means he can not place any helpers on the building.
So this means that another player can 'steal' the open spot later in the game?
Building something does not mean you are the only one in title to helper placement.
Right?

Than I was getting a bit confused by the Trader cards.

As I understand it: when a trader card is played, all players who have a helper next to a suply get that suply minus what hey have to place on that tower.
So if in a next round a player plays a Trader everyone who still has a helper next to a suply gets the supplies.
This only goes for when a Trader is played.
When no Trader card is played you don't get anything.. right?

Okay, assuming that was played as should I'll now restart, as I left to much time between playing session and got confused and besides I discovered that trying to play it alone, drawing cards blind, doesn't really work i.e. gives you a realistic practise session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first of all, your understanding of the rules is correct, Freddy.
However, I don't understand where you've got the idea that a player only plays three cards during the course of the game. Each player plays ONE role card per turn. If you play the Master Builder card, you get all of the cards that you played in previous turns back; and so, in subsequent turns, you have the ability to play those cards again. So, a player could play each card as little as once per game...or not at all, even; and (at the extreme most) six times per game.
As for Lee's comment, you play only one role card per turn....UNLESS you're playing a two player game, where each player plays TWO cards per turn.
I hope this all made sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're really having trouble seeing this, hopefully this will make it clear. This is a sample of how the game play goes. Four players, A, B, C and D in clockwise order.

Round 1:
- A is the first player, he takes the coin off the board.
- All four players look in their hand of 8 cards, and choose one. They put it on the table face down. Somebody says "everybody ready?" Everyone says yes.
- The four cards are flipped over. A and D choose Trader, B chose Messenger, C chose Worker. 2 Stone and a Wood are placed on the worker.

- The cards are evaluated in rulebook order:
1) Messenger: B takes 8 bucks, and sets his Messenger in a discard pile. He won't be able to use that card again until he plays his Master Builder.
2) Trader: A places a meeple on the stone cart. D places one of his on the clay cart. After all traders have been placed, resources are handed out from left to right. No one has a meeple on sand or wood, so nobody gets those. 2 clay are produced, D gets one, and puts one on the Tower. 2 Stone are produced, A gets one, and one on the tower. No meeples are on the silver cart, so nothing is produced there. A and D place their Traders on their own discard piles.
3) No one played a Bricklayer
4) No one played a Stonemason
5) Worker: C collects the resources on his worker, the full 2 stone and a wood, since no one played a Stonemason and bought some. C then builds a building, counts his points on the score track, and places his Worker in his discard pile.
- All the cards have been evaluated, the round is over.

Round 2:
- B is the new start player, he takes the coin off the board.
- All four players look in their hand of 7 cards (since one is in the discard pile of each player), and choose one. They put it on the table face down. Somebody says "everybody ready?" Everyone says yes.
- The four cards are flipped over. A chose Master Builder, B and C choose Trader, D chose Bricklayer.

- The cards are evaluated in rulebook order:
1) Messenger: No one chose this.
2) Trader: B places a meeple, he chooses the wood cart. C places one of his on the sand cart. After both traders have been placed, resources are handed out from left to right. C gets three sand, one goes to the tower. B gets 2 wood, one goes to the tower. A and D still have meeples on their carts from last round, so they still collect resources even though they didn't play Traders this turn. 2 clay are produced, D gets one, and puts one on the Tower. 2 Stone are produced, A gets one, and one on the tower. No meeples are on the silver cart, so nothing is produced there. B and C place their Traders on their own discard piles.
3) Bricklayer: D takes one kind of resource from the Tower, builds 1 building, and collects money based on what he built. He claims a spot on the board with a meeple. His Bricklayer goes into this discard pile.
4) No one played a Stonemason
5) No one played a Worker
6) Master Builder: A gets 5 points because he correctly predicted that someone would build (D built one building with his Bricklayer). He picks up his Master Builder and his discard pile, so he now holds all 8 of his cards again.
- All the cards have been evaluated, the round is over.

Round 3:
- C is the new start player, he takes the coin off the board.
- All four players look in their hand A has all 8 cards, while B, C and D only have 6 left, and choose one. They put it on the table face down. Somebody says "everybody ready?" Everyone says yes.
- The four cards are flipped over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha Steve, now you know why Frisians are called stubborn.

It's funny how you seem baffled by my 3 card remark, while this it what it comes to when playing by the proper rules.

Let me explain what I mean.
Take a 4 player game, that mean there are 12 coins on the map.

So....
and instantly I see where I went wrong there.
How did I make that miscalculation.

What I should have said is that every player only has three turns, i.e starter turns.
But than in my mind I confused rahter than taking a starter turn, with taking a starter card.

As for the Traders and I got all that how you kindly explained it.
But in your turn tree nobody played the trader.
So as I understand it, (or missunderstand) spite them all having helpers on the carts, nobody gets supplies as the trader was not played in this turn.

Right?
Or do they simply continue receiving supplies as lons as they've got a helper on a cart and from than on traders are only used to take over a cart.

All it all it's a fairly simple game, but rules can be missread, especially when translating in this case from German as I do. At time it leaves thing to interpreted in a different way.

I'll enjoy my replay, I find trial and error is the best way to leang a game and once I am confident with the rules it will be very easy to teach it the rest of the gang.

Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
But in your turn tree nobody played the trader.
So as I understand it, (or missunderstand) spite them all having helpers on the carts, nobody gets supplies as the trader was not played in this turn.

Correct. If A does not play a Trader in round 3, no one will get any resources from the carts (because A is the only one who has that card available, everyone else has theirs in the discard pile still).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve.

I think I've got it all figured out now and with luck will get it on the table tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
It's funny how you seem baffled by my 3 card remark, while this it what it comes to when playing by the proper rules.
(...)
hat I should have said is that every player only has three turns, i.e starter turns.
But than in my mind I confused rahter than taking a starter turn, with taking a starter card.

I'm not sure you understand the "proper rules" for turn sequence. Why does it matter that each person is the starting player n times? And what is it that you call a "starter card"? You seem to be assuming that only one player plays per turn, which is incorrect. Everyone plays in every turn, meaning that each player plays 12 cards in a 4-player game, or 15 in a 3-player game. You only pass the starting player token after all players have resolved their cards (chosen simultaneously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it all leads back to a discussion Steve and I had about the rules some time ago.
I than wrongfully assumed that a turn ends when every player has played all his cards.
Than moved on to turn 2, played all cards again etc.

Of course that would have made for a much longer and probably somewhat different game.
I've accepted the 'short' game is the right way to go, but at times,I still wonder if it is the best game.

Time will tell...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
it all leads back to a discussion Steve and I had about the rules some time ago.
I than wrongfully assumed that a turn ends when every player has played all his cards.

And how on Earth you went from that to assume that a turn ends when one player has played one card?! wow Neither extreme is correct (or even playable), and I'm just repeating it to be perfectly clear: a turn ends when every player has played one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: More Questions
Except in the 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Except in the 2 player game.

Right, two cards in a two-player game, but that's not the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.