Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the opportunity to play Pirate Fluxx at my local game store, where they have a demo copy in preparation for an event in February.

Things that you must know
-I like regular Fluxx
-I almost exclusively play Fluxx with 2 players
-I own Zombie Fluxx but didn't like it as much as regular Fluxx
-I'm going to assume you've played Fluxx before

As the subject somewhat gave away, I think that this is the best Fluxx that I've played.

It keeps all the good things about vanilla Fluxx and doesn't add too much to make things overly complicated. Yet, at the same time, there are a bunch of new interesting cards that have fun reactions with other cards. For example, take the card Treasure Map. Treasure Map is a keeper card that you can hide your Booty Keepers (diamonds, emeralds, pearls, etc) underneath. This lets you skirt under keeper limits since Treasure Map only counts as one Keeper. But at the same time, if Treasure Map is stolen, all of the cards underneath go with it!

Pirate Fluxx also adds surprise cards to the mix--cards that can be played at any time to cancel a certain move by an opponent. For example, the Yar! That Be Mine! card allows you to interrupt as someone plays a Keeper down, stealing it for yourself. This, therefore, could prevent them from winning if it was what they needed for their goal. Played during your turn, you can also just use the card to steal any Keeper.

Listen, I know that Fluxx is a game about randomness. I realize that. But for me, Zombie Fluxx added to many extra mechanisms and made things feel too random and that there was too much happening. That's why I really like Pirate Fluxx: it feels like it is Fluxx 2.0: all the best elements of vanilla Fluxx but with some new added features in it that feel like they belong and further the play of the first game.

Some quick things I like:
-There are categories of cards (example: Ships) and cards that care about those (everyone without a ship has to get down to a hand and keeper limit)
-There are creeper cards but not too many creeper cards. I like that they are difficult to get rid of but not too difficult and I like that there are only two of them
-The Captains Hat creeper gives its owner a good amount of special powers but not too many. It's fun to have a card that lets you break the rules a little bit, but not in a way that breaks the game.
-The Plunder new rule lets you steal keepers for free each turn, but there are ways you can block against it. I like that this is a card that sometimes you want to play and other times you don't. I thought I wasn't going to like this card when I saw it, but it serves a good purpose in the deck.

A quick thing I don't like
-I don't like the Talk Like A Pirate Card. Some of this may be because i played it with two players rather than a group, but still, it isn't what I'm looking for. I seem to be in the minority here after talking to other people in the game store and listening to the opinions from the Myriad Games podcast.

[Talk like a pirate reads: If you speak with an outrageous Pirate accent during your turn, Draw 1 extra card. Draw 2 extra cards if you've been continuing to use your accent since your previous turn]

So, to sum up my poorly-organized review, if you like Fluxx, I think you'll like this better. If you don't like Fluxx, this isn't going to change that. If you would like to read some of my better organized reviews, check out http://dicearenice.com

[Games played: 7, all with 2 players]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds pretty sweet. Have you played Martian Fluxx? I think it was the best version so far. I feel about it the way you feel about Pirate. The best of Fluxx with a few extras.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Martian v Pirate if you've played both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say that I've played Martian Fluxx. If I ever should see a copy I'll give it a try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david knoblock
United States
quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
This sounds pretty sweet. Have you played Martian Fluxx? I think it was the best version so far. I feel about it the way you feel about Pirate. The best of Fluxx with a few extras.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Martian v Pirate if you've played both.

my wife gave me the martian version for a christmas gift in 2009. we've played it several times between then and new year's 2010 with a friend. sadly, it hasn't gotten out since then, but we really enjoyed it. especially me since i could not be beat!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Terry
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on the game. My finance loves flux and pirates. If it is better than Zombie flux it is going to be a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all Flux games.

I like the sound of the new mechanics in this one.

Monty Python Flux has a couple outrageous things in it. So I have to be in the mood to play it.

Pirate Flux's talk like a pirate card probably wouldn't bother me too much because we love to talk like pirates anyhow. Even for games that aren't about pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Australia
Perth
Western Austrailia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. This game seems fun to play. Now if only I could find a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
som1unoe wrote:
Good review. This game seems fun to play. Now if only I could find a copy...

It will be released in the U.S. on February 11. I don't know about other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
This is a pretty good review. I love the pirate theme. I am a big pirate fan so I think this game should be lots of fun. I however, enjoyed Zombie Fluxx. Only cause I like Zombies as well. But I do agree that in Zombie FLuxx there are too many creepers and it can make for a really long game if the cards the players need don't come up when you need them. The people I have played with haven't been too thrilled with Zombie Fluxx. I think the creepers are what keeps them from liking it. In the original Fluxx there are no creepers I believe. Which personally I think makes for a better game. I do enjoy the original Fluxx. I haven't played Martian Fluxx or Monty Python Fluxx and I really want to play both of them. Don't really care for the idea of eco fluxx, family fluxx, christian fluxx, jewish fluxx, or fluxx reduxx. I certainly hope that pirate fluxx lives up to my expectations.

As far as the talk like a pirate thing.. There are people in my game group that would love doing that just because there comedian type people. But most of the people in my game group would feel weird doing and just not want to do it.

Overall, my experience with the Fluxx games has been mixed. Women seem to hate this game cause they don't seem to get the idea that you make up the rules as you play the game. And they get confused easily when the game starts to get a bunch of rules that you have to keep track of. Guys however seem to understand the game just fine but my copy of Zombie Fluxx doesn't see much play. Maybe once in a great while. In my old game group we played original Fluxx like only 2 times and played Zombie Fluxx once. Fluxx in general just isnt a real popular game. But nonetheless I still enjoy it and maybe with the new Pirate Fluxx, the Pirate version will get more game play and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Adams
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
By the way, the suprise cards aren't new. Zombie Fluxx has a card or two that allows you to steal keepers and I believe cancel actions as well. So technically there is nothing new in Pirate Fluxx. It just balances out original Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx or any other Fluxx with creepers in it. Which sounds like it will work much better than any of the other Fluxx's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slipknot9 wrote:
By the way, the suprise cards aren't new. Zombie Fluxx has a card or two that allows you to steal keepers and I believe cancel actions as well. So technically there is nothing new in Pirate Fluxx. It just balances out original Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx or any other Fluxx with creepers in it. Which sounds like it will work much better than any of the other Fluxx's.

The Steal a Keeper Action has been around since Fluxx 1.0. What makes Surprises new is that they can be played out of turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slipknot9 wrote:
In the original Fluxx there are no creepers I believe. Which personally I think makes for a better game.

The latest version of Fluxx turned both War and Death into creepers as seen here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.