Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This scenario features the Thundering Chinese Cavalry from Chris Ono’s Last Charge expansion and ROC units from his Tigers Unleashed Expansion. Played on The Untold Stories Map B.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63334/world-at-war-las...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57893/world-at-war-tig...

Houli Hell

The Chinese invasion of Taiwan is pushing inexorably towards Taipei. The ROC forces are reeling, but their scorched Earth tactics are effective, leaving little in their wake for the enemy to use. The People’s Liberation Army has badly underestimated the rapacious appetite of modern mechanized warfare. Fuel, ammunition, and replacement vehicles and fresh formations must be shipped by sea and air from the Mainland across the hotly contested Formosan Strait. Transport losses are high, and the advance is threatened by critical shortages of everything. The Chinese do boast the world's last non-ceremonial combat ready horse cavalry. Cavalry horses do not need petroleum, and cavalrymen do not expend ammunition at the prodigious rate of tanks and artillery. Chinese Cavalry is landed at the forefront of the PLA’s advance. They mount a daring raid to snatch a vital bridge at the ROC hamlet of Houli, “the Musical Capital of Taiwan.”

People's Liberation Army:

Zhan shen Cavalry Squadron
1 x HQ, 6 x Cav. 1 X Formation Marker. Morale=7.

Enter on turn 1 in column at road hex A11 (See SSR #2).

Republic of China

Kinmen Defence Team
1 x HQ (M41), 1 x M41, 2 x M113, 2 x ROC Infantry, 1 x V-150. 1 X Formation Marker. Morale=7.

Enter on turn 1 in column on hex W3 (See SSR #2).

Playable Area: The Untold Stories Map B.

Game Length: Eight turns. Use two End Turn markers in the cup (See SSR #1).

Victory Conditions:
The side that controls the bridge at hex L9 wins. Neither player controls the bridge at the beginning of the game. To control the bridge one of a player’s platoons must have been the last to pass over the bridge or occupy the bridge, and must control the town hexes at each end of the bridge K10 and M9 (last to pass through or occupy at game end).

Scenario Special Rules:

1. "Firstest with the Mostest." On the First turn only, ignore the end turn markers. After both Formation Markers are removed, the First turn ends. After the First turn, proceed as normal for the rest for the game.

2. Road to Perdition. Both enemy formations enter on their respective road hexes in column. For the first turn only they must stay on the road to the bridge (L9) and cannot stack, except the Chinese can stack two units at the crossroads hex (B10). After the first turn, all units on both sides can move freely.

Chinese Cavarly ambush ROC column

Preview of a future scenario. The Houli Hell Scenario uses a different map and set up, and does not inlude all units shown here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played this scenario three times solo, it doesn’t take long. My activation draws have been exactly even in all three games. It’s a straight race for the bridge, with the faster ROC V-150 armored cars getting there firstest, but the PRC cavalry getting their with the mostest. The fight for the bridge is bloody, and very dangerous for ROC armor in close combat in the city. The real issue is the map, which is very constrained around the bridge. The ROC cannot easily bring its longer-ranged firepower to bear. A knife fight favored the PRC, and they won the first two games.

For the third game I tried to make better use of the ROC's greater firepower. All KDT units are recon capable, so they have double the command radius. I sent the M-41 platoon north to find a position to pound PRC units in the town. Clever devil that I am, as the PRC player I countered this by sending two cavalry units north to deal with the Bulldogs. Because the Korean era M-41’s are rather ineffectual, the PLA cavalry is favored in this match up. But, the diversion of 2 platoons sapped the Chinese of their counter-attack strength, and they lost the bridge on the last turn. Outsmarted again by me.

Even if you don’t want to use DIY counters (and some of you don’t and you know who you are), or if you don’t want to use cavalry in a WW3 battle (again, I can’t image who would not), you could substitute formations from TUS (or other expansions or White Star Rising) for this one. The map is symmetrical, and the fight for the bridge is isolated. Makes for a fun quickie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forward recon meets rear screening force. Uses Chinese Cavarly and formations from Tigers Unleased. Played on Blood and Bridges map.

Bargan Hunters

Australia, New Zealand and the United States (ANZUS) form a loose alliance that is coming apart at the seams as the USA has its hands very full fighting WW3. The PRC invasion of the ROC has presented the other two members of ANZUS with a dilemma: Fight them over there or wait and fight them over here. Australia and New Zealand decide to aid Taiwan. They send what they can.

Confusion reigns in the path of the oncoming PLA. The dawn sky bears the smoky scars of furious air battles; air reconnaissance is spotty, both sides jam communications, and even slip in deceptive orders to the other. The Chinese heavy mechanized forces are all but halted by lack of fuel. The Chinese mobile light forces are desperately searching for fuel supplies. A ROC fuel convoy has been intentionally misdirected or has gotten lost, and has fallen behind. The newly arrived Australian and New Zealand forces, and the KDT are screening the rear of the ROC retreat.

People’s Liberation Army

486TH MOTORIZED INFANTRY REGIMENT “BRAVE TIGER REGIMENT” (TIGERS)
1 x HQ (Infantry), 3 x Infantry, 1 x Type 67 82mm Mortar (attached), 4 x CA-30 trucks, 3 x Type 62 (attached), 1 x HongJian 73, 1 x Type 63 SPAAG1, 1 X “Tigers” formation marker. Morale = 6.

1ST MARINE REGIMENT (1ST)
1 x HQ (Type 63C), 3 x Marine Infantry, 3 x Type 63C, 3 x Type 63 Light Amphibious Tanks, 1 x HongJian 73, 1 X 1st Marine formation marker. Morale = 7

1 x HQ, 6 x Cav. 1 X Formation Marker. Morale=7.

All three formations enter South edge of map.

ANZUS+ ROC
QUEEN ALEXANDRA'S MOUNTED RIFLES (QAMR)
1 x HQ (scorpion), 3 x Scorpion, 1 x Scorpion (attached), 1 x RCL Land Rover (attached), 1 x QAMR Formation Marker. Morale = 7

TASK FORCE 5/7 ROYAL AUSTRALIAN REGIMENT (RAR)
1 x HQ (M113), 1x MRV, 2 x M113, 2 x Infantry, 1 x MRV (attached), 1 x Gunbuggy, 1 x RAR Formation Marker. Morale = 7

KINMEN DEFENCE TEAM (KDT)
1 x HQ (M41), 1 x M41, 2 x M113, 2 x ROC Infantry, 1 x V-150, 1 x KDT
formation marker. Morale = 7

All three formations set up first between hexrows xx12 and xx18.

1 x F111 Aardvark (SSR # 1)

Playable Area: Blood and Bridges map.

Turns: 15 turns. Use two End Turn markers in the cup.

Victory Conditions: To determine the location of the fuel convoy, at the end of the game roll 1D6. If the result is (1-2) it is in Werthoven, (3-4) in Irlich, or (5-6) Faulbach. The Chinese win a decisive victory if at the end of the game they control a city hex in the town with the convoy. They win a marginal victory if at the end of the game an HQ or recon unit has a LOS and is within 3 hexes of the town with the convoy. If they do not meet either of these criteria, the ANZUS win a marginal victory. The ANZUS win a decisive victory if the Chinese do not have an HQ of any formation farther north than hexrow xx12 at the end of the game.

SSR #1: Thunder from Down Under: Australian F-111’s staging out of Clark USAFB fly hit-and-run missions, striking targets of opportunity. At the end every turn, the ANZUS player rolls 1D6. If the number rolled is equal to or less than the turn number, the player may use the F-111 to air strike any enemy unit or bridge to which one of his HQ’s or recon units has a LOS. Use the Aardvark’s AP to attack a bridge, needing 2 hits to destroy the bridge. The bridge’s armor is (2-5). If a bridge hex with an enemy unit is attacked, choose which target is attacked. If the bridge is destroyed, move the enemy unit one hex back towards the South edge (move other units to make room if necessary. The F-111 can make one attack and must then return to base.

SSR #2: "Hey, which formation didn’t activate?": When a player’s formation(s) does not activate, he will withhold an End of Turn marker (EOTM) as normal. At the beginning of the next turn, before FM’s are drawn, the player can place the EOTM in the cup, and activate any one formation. This could mean a formation might activate twice during the turn. If both players have withheld EOTM’s, the ANZUS player will go first. Begin drawing FM’s as normal after player(s) have used their withheld EOTM to activate a formation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, you magnificent bastard, these look like a lot of fun.

Congrats on making something playable with these Krazy Kavaliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rothwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great stuff Mark - you've really got the bit between your teeth now .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to find a way to put them on the battlefield without making them hopelessly outclassed. But, don’t underestimate them. They combine a high assault factor and good mobility with some of the goodness of infantry and of AFV’s. I pretty much concluded they have to be able to assault AFV’s while mounted (but not get the infantry bonus). This makes them dangerous to AFV’s. They are really dangerous to infantry in the open. Yes, they are vulnerable when fired at, but they have a major advantage in that AP cannot be used on them, so while moving as fast as some APC’s, they are invulnerable to most direct fire at long-ranges.

These are admittedly situational advantages. And, they obviously press the envelope of plausibility, so I don’t think cavalry is the new infantry. But a single cavalry formation galloping around the board? How could that not be inspirational?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Mitchell, for being the principal inspiration behind this quirky
little thing. The unit name “Zhàn shén” means War God. Mars was the Roman god of
war, and Marcus (Mark) means “dedicated to Mars”.

OK, I JUST read the fine print at the end of the Last Charge rules. That was a very nice thing to do making the dang thangs, and covertly using my name as the basis of their title. I already Googled and got the animie connection of Zhan shen, and “God of War,” but I suppose my near legendary humility prevented me from associating that with my name. In any case, it’s quite cool and very thoughtful. I could think of no better way to let my Geek flag fly!

Thanks Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rothy wrote:
Great stuff Mark - you've really got the bit between your teeth now .....

Neigh sayers beware...

I wouldn't hoove it any other way.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uses forces from Chris Ono’s Tigers Unleashed and Last Charge unofficial expansions, The Untold Stories (TUS) Map C, and a Designated Formation Marker and Jammed Marker from TUS.

Counterpunch

The PLA scraped up enough supplies to renew their offensive. The ANZROC scraped up enough forces to launch a surprise spoiling attack against the Chinese forward flank.

Playable Area: TUS Map C. Terrain modification: (SSR #1).

People’s Liberation Army
Set up first.

7TH COMPANY, 347TH MECHANIZED INFANTRY, “IRON 7TH” (IRON)
1 x HQ (Type 63), 6 x Type 63, 6 x Infantry, 3 x Type 59-I, 1 x Type 67 82mm Mortar (Attached), 1 x Type 74 Towed AAA w. 1 x Truck (attached), 1 x “Iron” Formation Marker. Morale = 7.
Set up in ERP.

10TH TANK REGIMENT (10TH)
1 x HQ (Type 59-II), 6 x Type 59-II, (attached), 1 x Type 63 SPAAG. 1 x 10th Formation Marker. Morale = 7.
Set up in H1 and adjacent woods hexes.

1 x HQ, 6 x Cav, 1 X Formation Marker. Morale=7.
Set up in Boekel. Set up dismounted. Chinese player may choose to roll 1D6, on a 4, 5, or 6, the Cavalry Squadron sets up mounted.

A Designated Formation Marker-maybe used to activate any Chinese formation.

ANZROC
All three formations enter from south edge of map between hexes M13 and W13 inclusive.

2 BN, ROYAL NEW ZEALAND INFANTRY REGIMENT (RNZIR)
1 x HQ (M113), 3 x NZ Infantry, 3 x M113, 1 x M125 SP Mortar, 1 x RCL Land Rover (attached), 1 x Scorpion (attached), 2 x RNZIR Formation Markers. Morale = 7

A SQUADRON, 1ST ARMOURED REGIMENT (1AR)
1 x HQ (Leopard AS1), 3 x Leopard AS1, 1 x Gunbuggy (attached), 1 x MRV (attached), 2 x 1AR Formation Markers. Morale = 7

542ND ARMOURED BRIGADE (542ND)
1 x HQ (M48), 2 x M48, 1 x M113, 1 x ROC Infantry, 2 x 542nd Formation Markers. Morale = 7

3 x (3-4) HE.

1 Jammed Marker: (SSR #3)

1 x A-4 Kahu: (SSR #3)

Turns: Eight turns. Use two End Turn markers. (SSR #3).

Victory Conditions: To win, the ANZUS forces must exit four units from west edge of map (do not count HQ’s or APC's). If they do not, the Chinese win.

SSR #1: Cultivated Fields count as Rice Paddies. Vehicles and mounted cavalry cannot enter Rice Paddies. Infantry and dismounted cavalry pay 3 MP’s to enter a Rice Paddy, and gain no defensive bonus, but they can be Concealed in a Rice Paddy.

SSR #2: The ANZROC attack surprised the Chinese. No PLA unit may conduct Opportunity Fire on Turn One, until it is first activated. There is no further restriction after Turn One.

SSR #3: The ANZROC holds the initiative at the beginning of this battle. At the beginning of the game, place in the cup only ONE Formation Marker from each of the three ANZROC formations, the Jammed Marker and the A-4 “Kahu” chit, leaving out all other markers including the End of Turn markers. Initially draw with only these in the cup, setting them aside as normal after use. After the third ANZROC Formation Marker is drawn (does not make a difference if the Kahu A-4 or Jammed marker have been drawn or not), immediately put the rest of the markers in the cup (i.e. the other three ANZROC Formation Markers, the 3 PLA formation markers, the Designated Formation Marker and the 2 EoT markers). Continue to draw from the cup and proceed as normal from that point on.

Variant: If you are a no-fun type of person, for the Chinese cavalry, substitute:
1ST MARINE REGIMENT (1ST)
1 x HQ (Type 63C), 6 x Type 63C, 6 x Marines, 1 x 1st Marine formation marker. Morale = 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.