• [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to figure out how, but with no real success so far. The problem is, the DxM cards are such a mixed bunch, it just wouldn't work applying them randomly as you draw them to the monster currently being fought. I'm still considering it, off & on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game solo before, and used the same rules with multiplayer play. You don't really need to change anything. The only thing that will be different is other Munchkins helping or not helping you of course. I only added a house rule that once you die, you don't come back, game over. Otherwise you'll just keep going and eventually win anyway and you need some sort of challenge since you have no competition.

One variant you could add is once you are past level 5, every time you fight a monster, flip over a DxM card and if it could be used to aid the monster, or is a monster modifier in any way, add it to the monster. (to simulate others people trying to keep you from reaching 10) If it can't aid the monster, discard it. If it's a Wondering Monster card roll a die. 1-3 = add the last monster defeated from the discards, 4-6 = Discard

Another variant I came up with is to play as two people and chose if you wanna coop or have both against each other. I later even tried random decisions. A roll of 1-2 = aid monster with modifier or potion, 3-4 = do nothing, 5-6 = help other munchkin with modifier or potion. You would of course only roll this option if in the event that you were fighting a monster with one character, and the other could intervene. If you want to "ask for help"... the other munchkin will only help on a roll of 5-6 as well.

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, up to level 5, you just fight each monster as it is, using your own cards but nothing on it's side? And thereafter only 1 DxM at most? Sounds too easy - how long does a game take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
So, up to level 5, you just fight each monster as it is, using your own cards but nothing on it's side? And thereafter only 1 DxM at most? Sounds too easy - how long does a game take?

It's just an idea, and you are more than welcome to change my variant to make it more challenging. I only chose level 5 cause the group I tend to play this with, we wind up helping each other out in the beginning but then turn on each other once people start approaching higher levels. If you want, you could even go with this... (I'm just coming up with this on the top of my head)

And keep in mind, these are drawn separately from the deck, these do not come from your hand.

Easy
Level 5+: 1 DxM Card

Medium:
Level 1-4: 1 DxM card.
Level 5-8: 2 DxM cards.
Level 9-10: 3 DxM cards.

Hard:
Level 1-2: 1 DxM card.
Level 3-4: 2 DxM cards.
Level 5-8: 3 DxM cards.
Level 9-10: 4 DxM cards.

Extreme:
Level 1-2: 1 DxM card.
Level 3-4: 2 DxM cards.
Level 5-6: 3 DxM cards.
Level 7-8: 4 DxM cards.
Level 9-10: 5 DxM cards.

Insane
Level 1: 1 DxM card
Level 2-3: 2 DxM cards
Level 3-4: 3 DxM cards
Level 5-6: 4 DxM cards
Level 6-7: 5 DxM cards
Level 8-9: 6 DxM cards
Level 10: 7 DxM cards

Again, these are just "ideas" and you're welcome to alter them anyway you feel. You can even throw in another option of whether or not to use these for the Final Battle. If you do, Use the same number or have more for the final battle? Your call. Hmm... maybe I should compile all these ideas and post them on the variants forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the replies,but essentially the game is changed radically due to the fact that other players aren't helping/hurting you on a regular basis.Alas,the game is definately designed/made for multi-player.Is this game doable with two players,w/o losing any of the"munchkin" factor?I would surmise,probably not.Anyway,thanx again for the replies and variant.The variant does sound like it's worth trying,anyway.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player is playable, you just have to be more ruthless. It gets annoying when you have a half-dozen monsters (the most you CAN get with 2 players) on the map, all way too high level for either of your characters to fight though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Scottsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
2-player is playable, you just have to be more ruthless. It gets annoying when you have a half-dozen monsters (the most you CAN get with 2 players) on the map, all way too high level for either of your characters to fight though...

Actually, if you read the rule book, it says on page 6-7:

Quote:
Newly explored rooms always have a monster! Draw the top Monster card and find the monster’s standie. Roll the Monster Die to see what color its base is (the player of that color gets a DxM). If no bases of the rolled color are available, you get to choose the base – but the player of the chosen color does not get a DxM! If no bases at all are available, the highest-level monster (counting enhancers) is removed from play, freeing a base for the new monster.

So as long as you continue to explore rooms, eventually the bigger, undefeatable monsters will disappear, and be replaced with others that you can possibly defeat, and gain levels with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.