New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Main Entry Thread
- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6367170

Rules Discussion Thread
- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/623654/quick-print-and-p...

General Discussion Thread
- here.

Please use this thread for discussion about the Quick Print and Play Design Challenge. A separate thread will be created regarding rules checks for the contest.

Thanks much!

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Quick Print and Play Design Challenge - Rules/Discussion Thread
Tip this thread to add to the prize pot, I'd assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Of note, this contest is modeled after the wildly successful and popular one here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/598336/contest-one-full-...-

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cattlemark wrote:
Tip this thread to add to the prize pot, I'd assume?

Of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, thanks for the contest! thumbsup
This should be the impetus to get a game completed that I've been thinking about for ages....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea. I'm toying with something I think could fit. Now I just have to, you know, actually design the damn game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules intentionally don't specify a particular card size, I wanted to point out that square 2.5" tiles (which can be trivially cut down from 3x5 index cards for tests) are a decent size.

Here are two such cards and a normal Magic card for comparison. One of the cards has been run through a corner rounder to make it look a little nicer.

Some of the game ideas I have can't be expressed in only 54 normal cards, but the square tiles give you 72 total cards to work with, and still leave you enough space to provide external cut marks so you can have a full bleed without ugly borders on the cards.

EDIT: 2.5" tiles have the advantage of still fitting into normal opaque card sleeves as well if you're willing to cut them down to square.

2" tiles seem like a good size as well and can still be held in your hand like normal cards, and you go up from 12 per page to 20 per page, giving you 120 cards total if you so chose. Of course this is starting to blur the line between "card" and "tile" and may be against the intent here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
barteus wrote:
Great idea, thanks for the contest! thumbsup
This should be the impetus to get a game completed that I've been thinking about for ages....

That's what I'm aiming for. Sometimes everyone needs a good kick in the pants to get stuff done. That was the aim here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
etherton wrote:

EDIT: 2.5" tiles have the advantage of still fitting into normal opaque card sleeves as well if you're willing to cut them down to square.

2" tiles seem like a good size as well and can still be held in your hand like normal cards, and you go up from 12 per page to 20 per page, giving you 120 cards total if you so chose. Of course this is starting to blur the line between "card" and "tile" and may be against the intent here?

The intent was to make some PnP games that were easy to cut out. I deliberately left the upper card limit vague. As long as it is easy to produce with properly scored marks, I'm okay. In theory, you could see a really scrunched up war game. It's not my intent, but it's not disallowed.

If it is a compelling game that everyone likes, then this contest has served its purpose.

That said, the fewer the cards, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
This is a cool idea. I'm toying with something I think could fit. Now I just have to, you know, actually design the damn game.

Details, details.... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
3. You should format your cards 9 cards to a page and format them appropriately for Artscow deck building if at all possible.

This will sound like I know nothing as this is a term I have seen mentioned often enough but what is Artscow deck building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrummerOfJah wrote:
Raiderjakk wrote:
3. You should format your cards 9 cards to a page and format them appropriately for Artscow deck building if at all possible.

This will sound like I know nothing as this is a term I have seen mentioned often enough but what is Artscow deck building?
Artscow is a printing company (Artscow.com) from China that makes pretty good custom cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who have never formated for artscow- is there a primer? I have seen the one on how to order from there only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the paper stock, would you count Avery business cards as card stock? The reason why I ask is that I have a bunch of them lying around and are cardstock as well, just presented with pre-cut sections (and you can fit 10 per page)...

How many entries are we allowed? From experience in the other contests I've entered (all 2 of them) I would have to say that 2 is the limit, but if you decide 1 entry per person, that's cool as well.

Can an existing game (that's going through playtesting) be entered? It hasn't been entered in a previous contest and is currently being redeveloped to use custom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
This contest is a fitting sequel to the previous design contest. I'm throwing 20GG into the pot but I won't be entering. Good luck to everyone else! I look forward to seeing your entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
For the paper stock, would you count Avery business cards as card stock? The reason why I ask is that I have a bunch of them lying around and are cardstock as well, just presented with pre-cut sections (and you can fit 10 per page)...

As long as it is easy enough for someone who doesn't have Avery business card sheets to print out your game, that's fine by me.

Quote:
How many entries are we allowed? From experience in the other contests I've entered (all 2 of them) I would have to say that 2 is the limit, but if you decide 1 entry per person, that's cool as well.

As many as you want. However, I recommend keeping it to one or two games. The aim of the contest is quality, not quantity.

Quote:
Can an existing game (that's going through playtesting) be entered? It hasn't been entered in a previous contest and is currently being redeveloped to use custom cards.

That's fine by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Ethereum will be entered. (Though Artscow won't like it.) And there is a good chance 4 Kings will be entered, if my artist geekbuddy (we're collaborating) has fast enough fingers, or if I can help him out somehow. (Artscow likes this one better.)
And knowing me, there's a good chance I'll come up with another dozen before the start of the contest. (Even though I've been told not to, and even though it worked so well for me in the last contest. cry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Yes, Ethereum will be entered. (Though Artscow won't like it.) And there is a good chance 4 Kings will be entered, if my artist geekbuddy (we're collaborating) has fast enough fingers, or if I can help him out somehow. (Artscow likes this one better.)
And knowing me, there's a good chance I'll come up with another dozen before the start of the contest. (Even though I've been told not to, and even though it worked so well for me in the last contest. cry)

Well, you know, after this contest is done I'm sure someone could make a contest that would work a little better for that game... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cry was for the previously failed contest (if I earn any geekgold off of that one, I'll be in shock), but I think I'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
The cry was for the previously failed contest (if I earn any geekgold off of that one, I'll be in shock), but I think I'll be fine.

Oh - I thought you were talking about the 54-card traditional deck for Etherum..... All apologies.

I wouldn't be so sure about the other contest. You may end up doing very, very well. As for my entry, I imagine I will be middle of the pack. I'm hoping for 5th place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
I'm hoping for 5th place.
I'm hoping for anything above 50th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Raiderjakk wrote:
I'm hoping for 5th place.
I'm hoping for anything above 50th.

You might be pleasantly surprised then. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
busily working on some entries. more details soon

and i will make the same offer i did on the one sheet PnP contest that just ended:

if the winner feels their entry's graphics are not all they want them to be due to lack of any artistic software opportunities, i will work with them on a graphic re-design, in whatever capacity they wish, if they are interested.

(check out the various PnP games with cards i've re-designed/designed artwork for, for an idea of my design style

aether captains: dread supremacy, pocket civ, epic solitaire notebook adventures, city of guilds, star trader's luck)

and good luck to all. if the one sheet contest was any indication we are in for some great new mechanics and ideas and a real breadth of game styles and themes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:

I have a couple questions about the cards. What I usually do is just print black and white on colored cardstock, then sleeve the cards so they shuffle well. It works fairly well for me, but I'd like to make sure I have things in a format that's convenient for other people.

For the game I'm planning to submit, I made a .pdf of the cards (8 cards per sheet) where each card is 2.5" x 3.5" -- one set of cards has a green background (pictured) and the other set has a blue background.

The cards don't have rounded corners, they're all right up against one another ... you can see what I've got. Does this work, or do I need to do something different?

Raiderjakk wrote:

4. You might want to create optional card backs for gamers that like fancier sets.
If I wanted to include a card back, how would I go about that? Just one cardback image, or a whole sheet?

Raiderjakk wrote:

8. You should provide a low ink monochrome version of your game if at all possible.
Now this I know how to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the same questioning as Dave:

Since the card backs are optional, if you choose to include them do they have to be a part of the 6-page limit or can we have separate pages for them (that do not count against the limit)?

Also, I noted that you don't mind using other polyhedral dice. May I suggest you allow the six standard sizes? They are d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. You can pick them up just about anywhere these days and d12s are used in many games here on the geek. You neglected the d12 in the initial post.

Oh, and THANK YOU for banning stickered dice! Though custom dice are cool, cutting out all the images is getting old ;) Especially since 2 of my games have 10d6 ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [41] |