Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

Im thinking of buying a war game like Ambush/ASL

It seems to me that these two games (Ambush and Advance Squad Leader) are alike?

I know that Ambush is a single player game witch ASL is not (at least not in original version)

But I have heard that there is a expansion to ASL that opens up single player?

But the question is then, are the ASL single player as good as Ambush?

It a big advantage if the game can offer both single and multiplayger.

What are the really difference between this games?
And what game should I choose?

Best Regards
Jimmy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Ambus! or Advance Squad Leader?
Having never played Ambush! but owning ASL I'd say the answer lies in what you'd like out of the game.

Ambush! strength is that it is probably the best solitare WWII squad-level game. ASL's claim to fame is being one of the most detailed multi-player WWII squad-level game covering all theaters of operation.

Ambush! would probably hit a cord with you right off the bat since you only need to convence yourself that you should play the game. ASL would be a challenge since it's a complex system that would be difficult to learn on your own without a vet around to show you the ropes, and then trying to teach it to someone would be a task too. ASL did have a solitare module but it was not as good overall as how Ambush! works.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Raskob
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also feel there's a style difference. I recall reading somewhere that if you liked the TV series "Combat" you'd like ASL, and if you liked the movie "Kelly's Heroes" you'd like Ambush!. From my experiance that's probably a pretty good summary.

Of course, you may like both, depending on your mood. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the designers notes in Shell Shock (2 player Ambush) Ambush was in some part based on the the Combat series. I guess Kelly's Heroes would be similar. Both are Hollywood depictions of infantry combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.