Subject: Sealing a Gate with an Elder Sign / Special Gate Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there's this gate card that has you do a Speed (-2) check and in case you pass, you may return to Arkham - in case you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either case, "you automatically close the gate you entered through" (as the card text says).

I only need a clarification on one little detail in the situation where your investigator lands in time and space: I understand that you still claim the gate trophy and that you now even have an opportunity to seal the gate, provided you have the necessary number of clue tokens on hand. All this has been thoroughly discussed in this older thread here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3896489#3896489

What I'd like to know (and which I didn't see explicitly answered in the above thread) is: are you also allowed to seal that gate with an elder sign in this situation (of course you'd have to do it immediately, losing 1 stamina and 1 sanity on your way to "LiTaS")? I'm assuming this is just as legal as sealing it via clue tokens, or is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the card says something on it to prevent its use, if you are allowed to close the gate, I don't see why it couldn't be done with the ES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is no.

From the author's FAQ on the FFG site:

"[Elder Signs] are used when you are closing or sealing a gate, and you can only do that during the Arkham Encounter phase. The phase label on the items is just imprecise, that's all."

So, in your example, you've become LiTaS in the OW Encounter phase. And closed the Gate, too. Too late, now, to have an AE and use the ES to seal the gate. Next turn, of course, is no longer "immediately" after the closure, so you're stuck there, too.

Tricky, but I am sure this is right.

Edit: let me be less emphatic. I *think* this is right! There are posts on the FFG forums suggesting that e.g. you can't seal during upkeep because of the answer above, but that is different from saying you can't seal as you close. It's a good question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, you can't seal the gate when it gets closed by some other means than you doing it yourself. Unless the card specifically says you can and some do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Yeah, you can't seal the gate when it gets closed by some other means than you doing it yourself. Unless the card specifically says you can and some do.

My immediate reaction was the same as yours ColtsFan. But. The key phase on the card is "you automatically close the gate you entered through". It's as though you find a way to close the Gate from the inside and chose to do that knowing that you'll be LiTaS. So if you're the one closing the Gate, you should be able to seal it.

I've always thought that the Elder Sign was strange. The card clearly indicates that it's for Sealing an already Closed Gate. But the worked example in the rulebook shows it as a combined Close and Seal (page 17 of the rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

My immediate reaction was the same as yours ColtsFan. But. The key phase on the card is "you automatically close the gate you entered through". It's as though you find a way to close the Gate from the inside and chose to do that knowing that you'll be LiTaS. So if you're the one closing the Gate, you should be able to seal it.

I've always thought that the Elder Sign was strange. The card clearly indicates that it's for Sealing an already Closed Gate. But the worked example in the rulebook shows it as a combined Close and Seal (page 17 of the rulebook)

I have unfair inside knowledge that will someday be justified.

Unless the encounter says you may also seal the gate, you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I have unfair inside knowledge that will someday be justified.

Unless the encounter says you may also seal the gate, you cannot.

I will defer to the man with the Silver Twilight Lodge Membership card. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu F'thagn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I ought to've remained emphatic laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.