Subject: Ithaqua and Yig left out in the cold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It honestly only dawned on me recently that each expansion has been themed to a diffrent AO that came out with the base game. So far 6 out of 8 of the starting AO´s have had their day in the sun. While Ithaqua and Yig have not been covered.

Basicly a question for those that are well versed in the lore, what kind of expansion could we expect if FFG decided to base a small or large box on these two?

This is a pure speculation thread so not really bothered about it being likely or not as a topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh: Nyarlathotep
Dunwich Horror: Yog-Sothoth
King in Yellow: Hastur
Kingsport Horror: Nobody in particular
Black Goat of the Woods: Shub-Niggurath
Innsmouth Horror: Cthulhu
Lurker at the Threshold: Yog-Sothoth (again)

That leaves Azathoth, Ithaqua, and Yig. I don't think FFG has any particular obligation to fulfill expansions for those AOs. Yig and Ithaqua are extremely minor, and Azathoth is too general to get an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list Tibs! I missed the fact that Yog was part of Lurker. I thought it was Az for some reason.

I agree on Azathoth being a bit vague for an expansion, but I am still curious what kind of stories/settings the other two are from and what kind of expansion it would make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithaqua is an August Derleth creation, part of his "Elemental" Old Ones pantheon. It's identified with the Canadian Windigo spirit, but it is certainly an otherwordly entity, which can be summoned. It's been known to carry humans through the upper atmosphere on its travels, treating them to rare sights and arcane places in all corners of the Earth before apparently losing interests and dropping their frozen bodies from a great height.

Yig is a local boy... I've always assumed that's why he wakes up so easily; no summoning necessary, he's really just sleeping.
And it's thematic that he is weak in combat; he's not an otherdimensional being like the rest of the Great Old Ones; he's a last remnant of the great sorcerer serpent folk who one ruled man in Robert E. Howard's Kull stories... either one of the Sorcerors, or possibly even the Great Serpent himself, now much diminihsed.
According to Lovecraft and Zelia Bishop, he now resides in the western half of the North American continent, and protects and nurtures the serpent populations there.
It is, as the people of this region know, a very BAD idea to injure snakes in Yig's backyard. He may not be otherdimensional, but he has managed to live for at least one hundred thousand years. He is far more than the average Joe can handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.