Popular Tags: design [+] [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to build a game around a mechanic involving "cascading preferences". Please help me brainstorm possible themes for this game. I'll take any ideas at this point, no matter how silly or difficult they might seem.

Forms of this mechanic have been used before, in Islas Canarias and Restaurant Row, and supposedly Emira. Essentially each player has an island/restaurant (aka "thing"), and multiple settlers/customers arrive, and need to decide where to go. Each has a list of preferences, so they'll go to the "thing" where their first preference is met. If there is a tie, they'll use their second preference to decide. Nothing magical, but it's fun. It also has some similarity to the deduction mechanic of Tobago.

I have thought of about a dozen possible themes myself, but I won't share them yet, lest they block out any better ideas you might come up with. None of mine seem quite right, so I thought I would put the immense BGG brain trust to work.

I have also thought about an inverted form, where each player would be one of the customers, and would build up a set of preferences by which they would select a "thing". If you think of any other inversions or twists on the mechanic, I would be interested in hearing those as well.

Thanks!!

P.S. If you know any other games that use a mechanic similar to this, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying a gift for a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps players are running game shops trying to lure customers in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fairs or theme parks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe like a food chain thing? Predators eating/selecting prey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nanotech designer creating artificial lifeform 'clades'. who have a darwinian struggle for life/bred for characteristics cascade going on

or oompaloompas must create the new wonka candy treat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the description you gave to the mechanic my brain immediately went to my CS undergrad days when we had to program scheduling algorithms. Now, they're not exactly the same, but is what gave me the idea of: Robotic death machines.

They are programmed with a series of preferences and are then sent out to hunt down the humans who possess qualities that match the preferences. Points would be awarded based on how many of those preferences were matched up after all robots had destroyed their targets.

Though, you could instead change the theme from RDM to peeps trying to find their ideal Easter Basket or ants trying to find the best food for their hill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the customers arrive in a known order or are they assigned from a pool based on best fit? How do you decide which people get their preference?

- People selecting rides at an amusement park
- Drivers on a highway looking for a rest stop
- Children on a playground at recess waiting for equipment to be open
- Students signing up for classes (could extend this one to trying to meet various prerequisites and still graduate in four years)
- Farmer's market with customers looking for particular types of produce
- Night at the movies! Some couples, some groups of teens, some families, etc.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You could turn the thing around with something evolutionary. Players are organisms and the 'customers' are different types of terrain/climate. Each terrain fits one organism best, according to the organism's cascading preferences. The players work hard to adapt their organisms to terrains that open up.

The mechanic is still the same, but the feeling is very different.

Likewise, the players are alien invasion fleets and each one tries to conquer as many planets that are passing by as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lööw
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien visitors come to earth in UFOs.

The players are countries and tries to attract as many visitors as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the theme park/funfair

or maybe something like speeddating/singles party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mb
Aquarists competing for exotic fish (newly delivered to a pet store), each having different environment preferences. Players arrange their fish tanks to make them most suitable for most wanted species. The player with the most magnificent aquarium wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, almost anything goes, so my suggestion is: try something new, that hasn't been done before, and apply it to your mechanic.

But, here are a few suggestions, from the top of my head:
1- if you want to create a wargame, players can be the generals of an army, and they have to decide weather to attack this or that enemy settlment or enemy base, with effects to the second attack and so on...

2- if you want to create an economic game, players can be company managers or stock brokers, and they have to decide which stock to buy or which investment to make, with consequences to the next deal(s)...

3- if you want an "Agricola" style game, players can be farmers, and have to decide which veggy to coltivate; then, which animal to breed; then what room to add to the house, and so on...

4- if you want a civilsation-ish game, players can decide where to evolve: echonomics; politics; culture; agriculture; city-building etc.

Like I said, choose the theme you like best, according to what has been done the least or, otherwise, to what you like best, or, again, to what appeals the market the most; then, apply it.

good luck
cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Do the customers arrive in a known order or are they assigned from a pool based on best fit? How do you decide which people get their preference?

After I pick the theme, I'll decide those details to fit it.

After you posted, I realized this also has some similarity to your Outpost Gemini game. I hadn't put that together before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
You could turn the thing around with something evolutionary. Players are organisms and the 'customers' are different types of terrain/climate. Each terrain fits one organism best, according to the organism's cascading preferences. The players work hard to adapt their organisms to terrains that open up.

Yes, I had the same thought. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

I thought of another twist on the theme: Instead of trying to attract these units with preferences, perhaps you are trying to keep them away. Maybe you don't want your "thing" to be chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
or maybe something like speeddating/singles party?

Speed dating. Hells yes.

That would be hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deliz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Thanks for all the great ideas so far!

I thought of another twist on the theme: Instead of trying to attract these units with preferences, perhaps you are trying to keep them away. Maybe you don't want your "thing" to be chosen.

Dog Eat Dog: A game about Middle Management domination through total inaction.

The goal? Reach top dog in your corporate management.

How? By sweet-talking the big wigs at every step while pushing your actual work onto other players so that they're too busy to get their foot in the door. Failure to complete all your work gets you fired, and doing too much work drains your invaluable ass-kissing time (and risks your going insane).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.