United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I dropped my Kindle today and broke the screen

Desperate to read I went to the local new and used bookstore blush

I found a collection of Larry Niven short stories that I haven't seen before The Draco Tavern

Most of what is whored published to today as coauthored by Niven is crap.

I recommend this as they are smart Niven type short stories not based in the Known Universe series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
You see this co-authored stuff a lot these days. You see it with names like Clive Cussler, Larry Bond and Tom Clancy. In many cases the well know author simply has provided an outline and then this other person actually writes the book. Makes for an easy paycheck for the well known author and the unknown gets a chance to get published. Mind you the loser is the reader generally.

I was big time into Larry Niven when I was in my 20s. I met him at several science fiction literary conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have a local used bookstore that carried something aside from romance novels and 50 copies of the Left Behind series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Draco Tavern and have read the first half dozen stories or so. They're amusing, but it's very frothy stuff. My wife (who isn't much for hard sci-fi) liked them more than I did. I'll probably go back and read the stories in dribs and drabs when the mood strikes.

As for co-authored stuff, I'm enjoying the Ringworld Prequel books co-written with Edward Lerner (Fleet of Worlds, et al). I have no idea which author is responsible for what, but I can certainly see Niven's fingerprints on the final product. One reason for my enjoyment is that the books provide a greater glimpse into the lives of the Puppeteers, which are probably my favorite aliens in all of science fiction. It's not top-notch Niven, but definitely readable, and the first thing of his I've enjoyed in a long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schaener
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a *huge* Niven fan, and absolutely loved the Draco Tavern. It is great in the Audio Book format too. My only issue with it is that some of the stories toward the end seem to be out of order in the time-line.

As for the "... of Worlds" series, I find these to be the pinnacle of his Known Space collections. Bringing back the antagonist, Sigmund Ausfaller, from so many of his earlier shorts as the protagonist in this series was a great move. I won't provide spoilers, but I can say that a lot of the "what happened to ...?" questions that are generated over the course of several decades of his writing will be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.