Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overbuilding is a key element in AoI, perhaps even more so than in Brass. However, while you can overbuild a Ship, you can never flip it and it appears to be something that would only occur in very special circumstances.

Intuitively, I see the ships coming and going bringing (in this case coal) and then leaving with goods for markets abroad. It may be that in the conceptual time frame for the game, Martin wanted only to see one ship per port - not sure why though.

I might have imagined that the rules for ships could be somewhat consistent with the other structures as regards over-building:

1) You can only over-build your own ships (like Mills, Factories and Ports);

2) When you over-build a ship the new counter replaces the flipped counter and three new coal cubes are placed on the coal space and a new Market tile is drawn at random and replaces the flipped Market tile; and,

3) This can only be done once per ship space (compromise to prevent abuse?).

It could be that something like this was looked at during the design/play testing process and turned down - I would be interested to know if it is worth trying. In our game the Ships were quickly built and that aspect of the game just went away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
2) When you over-build a ship the new counter replaces the flipped counter and three new coal cubes are placed on the coal space and a new Market tile is drawn at random and replaces the flipped Market tile; and,

This is where it goes wrong IMHO. You'd get way too many opportunities to sell to foreign markets. And if you don't replace the market tiles, it becomes far too easy to flip the second ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand "too many opportunities" to access foreign markets. Players (unless they own a lot of ships), should prefer to deliver goods to ports (their own preferably) for the income and the vps - foreign markets yield neither.

I definitely agree that if you don't replace the market tiles, the second ships are too easily flipped (after all, they will be using one of the three coal brought in just to build themselves since we are talking about level 4 Ships now). I just have a feeling that flipping those second ships will not be all that easy - it still may turn out that overbuilding is an iffy proposition.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the game balance was adversely affected by allowing more than one ship per ship space, but I am curious enough to want to try it a couple of times - if the rest of our group is similarly curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.