B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this is out there, and I just cannot find it easily.

Is there a geeklist that covers creating games by converting a Scrabble Set?

[editted to be about just Scrabble Sets]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Bruycker
Belgium
Gent (Desteldonk)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Conversion of Scrabble Set and/or Indended Dice
Not exactly what you asked for, but nevertheless interesting: Thrift store games you buy just for the components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not finding Scrabble conversions, which surprises me.

SO...

Poll
12. Would you participate (submit an entry to be judged) in a PnP contest which used the components of a Scrabble set as the base requirement?
Yes
No
13. Would you be interested in voting for entries submitted to a PnP contest which used the components of a Scrabble set as the base requirement?
Yes
No
14. Would you be interested in the results of a PnP contest which used the components of a Scrabble set as the base requirement?
Yes
No
      26 answers
Poll created by byronczimmer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be looking forward to hearing about a game that used Scrabble pieces (as I have numerous copies of the game, plus a ton of extra tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking it would be fun to see a contest on game using only readily available game parts. I saw on boardgame news a link to a site that had a book called The Boardgame Remix Kit from UK that had a pdf for custom rules for 4 easy to aquire games. They were Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo, & Trivial Pursuit. This only goes so far to change the basic rules to the game.

My thought would be to use maybe a list of about 10 or 20 easily available thriftstore games & write games using whatever components were available, like a thriftstore junky piecepack system, mixing & matching willy, nilly. There would be no printing except for the rules.

I guess this is too limiting for a designer but I think it would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted that I wouldn't participate, but I think in reality it would depend on the specifics of the contest and on whether an appropriate idea presented itself in time. I've definitely got the Scrabble bits around here.

Would you allow additional components as well? Labels, pawns, dice, that sort of thing? What about multiple Scrabble sets? (Say, for example, you need 150 tiles, or two of each letter, or 50 each of two colors of tiles.)

I have to say I also love Melody's idea of the thriftstore piecepack system. To the four games from the Boardgame Remix Kit, I'd want to add at least Battleship (for the pegs and the grids), Pachisi (for the sets of pawns and the dice - substitute Sorry plus Yahtzee if you like) and maybe Uno (for the numbered cards in colors that match your pawns.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Would you allow additional components as well? Labels, pawns, dice, that sort of thing?

-snip-

I'd want to add at least Battleship (for the pegs and the grids)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I think chess and/or checkers would have to be included. You'd also need some kind of easy terrain like settlers or risk (which has the added bonus of armies). I think trivial pursuit could be eliminated as it is indeed easy to find but I'm not too too sure of the component value. Of course a dice game like yahtzee or boggle or spill & spell. Another game that I see at on a somewhat regular basis is Zombies. It has indoor terrain & zombies.

There could of course be a limited amount of printing, say 2 pages or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The specifics of a contest would of course have to be worked out.

My initial thoughts:

Take one standard Scrabble set. It is your canvas. You may include additional materials if you want.

Additional materials would be
- labels (for the tiles and/or whatever you do to the board)
- paper for the rules
- dice

You may cut up the board into smaller parts, paint the tiles, fold up the rules, you may even destroy the box if you want to, but the base material has to come from that Scrabble set.

You should not need power tools, such as cutting the racks in half.

I'll let the poll take its course - currently there's only one or two possible participants (and I know how I voted...), which means it's not much of a contest/challenge currently.

The ideas for taking other common PB/MB games and combining them are interesting, but not precisely what I was looking for, so I encourage someone else to consider that challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing Trivial Pursuit has going for it is the pie pieces. Conveniently, there are exactly six each of six different colors, with color-coordinated holders. Those seem readily adaptable to various tasks - resource allocation, progress tracking, etc. Unfortunately, they don't match your Uno cards and pawns. And the die, of course; chances are it matches the ones from your Monopoly, Clue, and Yahtzee sets.

Risk doesn't always have armies, but it's definitely worth adding for the map (and for the unit markers, some portion of which probably match your Uno cards.) Settlers is maybe a little non-mainstream for thrift-store junk, I think, though the terrain tiles could be fun to play with. Can't say I've ever seen Zombies anywhere around here.

Monopoly Deal and Scrabble Slam are starting to show up around here with some frequency. Both potentially coordinate nicely with their older siblings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

My X-Acto razor saw agrees that you should not need power tools to cut the racks in half. Lengthwise, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
One game I've made with scrabble pieces is Archers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

My X-Acto razor saw agrees that you should not need power tools to cut the racks in half. Lengthwise, maybe.

Does this mean you can cut them in half or that you can't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Does this mean you can cut them in half or that you can't?

It was mostly a joke misinterpretation of what you'd said. But yeah, with a cheap razor saw from Big Lots and the extruded aluminum miter box that tends to come with same, you should easily be able to cut a Scrabble rack in half without seriously endangering any digits, including the ones in your checking account. I wouldn't want to essay cutting all four into eighths or anything silly like that, but cutting them all in half wouldn't be horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Roizen
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I made precut and sticky labels to fit Scrabble tiles as a pretest of WildWords. I also have a board that can be printed. I suppose I could drop them in the mail (USA addresses) and break even at about $5 per set. You would have to print your own board and the rules as a PDF file.

If there is some interest, I could set up a page to do it.

The game is described at http://www.wildwords.us and is reviewed at Board Game Geek.

Here's a picture of interest:

http://www.wildwords.us/convert.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a thread on making counter sleds out of scrabble tile racks. You will need power tools (table saw) to make these, especially if you want to thin them down (old racks). I should have named the thread something cooler like Make tile sleds from scrabble tile racks.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/611280/counter-sleds-coo...

You can also make a copy of Montage from a scrabble deluxe (one with the transparent overlay grid) and another set of tiles (or two sets of regular tiles and designate the deluxe tiles for another purpose).

You should also take all your tile racks out from scrabble and put them to use in games like Acquire which really could use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game uses Scrabble components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.