Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas H.
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bet everyone is already sick and tired of Catan , but I was browsing through some rules and I came up with a dilemma. What happens if two players have the same amount of road (or knights)? Does the 2 point longest road (or military might) card go out of play or does the one who had the amount of roads (or knights) get to keep the card?

I went through the original german rules and it only lists a specific situation of when a road gets cut. Also I browsed through some of the strategyfiles and faqs from BGG and everyone seems to interpret this rule differently. Does anyone a clear answer to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
first player who built the longest orad keeps it, until someone builds a longer road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First person who built the longest road keeps it, until the person with the largest army sends his troops over to destroy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
I am pretty sure that once the road is tied, no one gets it. Then when someone goes ahead, they get it. That was the way I read my English rules. I have noticed, however, that it is played differently on brettspielwelt (a german boardgame site). There, you keep the longest road or largest army until somone passes you. Therefore, you retain it if someone ties you.

I don't know if it is a rule change for the English version, but I certainly like it better. I think it is much better where no one gets the longest road or biggest army in a tie. You have to have the longest road to get the credit. Not tied with someone else, whether or not you got there first.

I'm just saying

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
first player who built the longest orad keeps it, until someone builds a longer road.

This is correct but for one exception. If the longest road is broken up by an opponent building a settlement in the longest road and it results in a tie, then the longest road belongs to no one. It doesn't matter if one of the "tiers" is the person who had had the longest road or not, it belongs to no one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

This is correct but for one exception. If the longest road is broken up by an opponent building a settlement in the longest road and it results in a tie, then the longest road belongs to no one. It doesn't matter if one of the "tiers" is the person who had had the longest road or not, it belongs to no one.

Correct, but that's going to be a pretty rare case indeed. The more likely situation is that a) no one now qualifies for longest road, with no one having a road of 5 or more pieces, or b) someone else now does qualify for longest road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is asked on the settler's page. Here's the link:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/31467

I don't mean that as an admonishment, I just thought you'd like to see what was discussed there! It's hard to find answers on that page because there are so many questions. As a matter of fact I'm too lazy to look if there is an answer to the question I have so I'll ask it here:

The special building phase states that players are allowed to build at the end of each turn with the cards that are in their hands.

So does this mean that you cannot make a trade with the "bank" (ie four resources for one) in order to build? What about harbors?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
My understanding is that the special round is for "building" only, which means expending cards to acquire one of the items on the cheat card (road, settlement, city, development card). Thus no trading is allowed, neither with other players nor with the bank (4 for 1) nor with a port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way we understand and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
My understanding is that the special round is for "building" only, which means expending cards to acquire one of the items on the cheat card (road, settlement, city, development card). Thus no trading is allowed, neither with other players nor with the bank (4 for 1) nor with a port.

That's the way we understand it but we usually play that trades are allowed at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets assume you have the current largest road of 6 and the largest army of 4. And everyone else has roads of 5 and armies of 3.

Usually, I would need to get a road of 7 or an army of 5 to get either of the cards off you.

The only exception is if I manage to split your road by building a settlement onto it - if by doing that I reduce your 6 road to 5 long then you lose it and noone gets it since there is a tie. Of course, as soon as anyone builds one road they will then take the longest road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your responses, this clears it up for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.