Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried keeping track of how many rounds a typical game lasts? In this post, designer Friedemann Friese says "The game lasts about 10 turns." That seems awfully quick to me - if that's the case, he'd certainly whip me in a game! I'm not sure how you could pull off a win that quickly, because you'd barely have got through your deck once at that point. Most people seem to suggest that the game is usually over somewhere about halfway the second pass through a deck - I'm not sure if that's true because I haven't kept track of it myself. But in the advanced game (where you know and order the bottom 9 cards of your deck - marked below in blue), here's how you'll draw your deck of 28 cards over a game, given that you draw three cards a turn (more with a Laboratory in play):
Starting hand: card 1
Turn 1: cards 2 3 4
Turn 2: cards 5 6 7
Turn 3: cards 8 9 10
Turn 4: cards 11 12 13
Turn 5: cards 14 15 16
Turn 6: cards 17 18 19
Turn 7: cards 20 21 22
Turn 8: cards 23 24 25
Turn 9: cards 26 27 28

As I suggested in another post, I wonder if the key to playing the advanced game well is to memorize the top card of the nine that you discarded at the start of the game, and from the point you draw this card bear in mind that you can't really afford to discard Palace cards but need to keep or build them.

But all this depends on how many rounds a game usually lasts - and this might also differ from the Basic to the Advanced game. So how many rounds does a game usually last, and how quickly is it possible to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I still think it is possible (standard game) to win in 10 rounds. Yes you have to play well, but I would say it needs normally 11 rounds, but this depends on how the markets work out or better to say: If there are a lot of people buying banks, the others get more money from their goods.

Calculation for the standard game (26 cards, without any card to draw more cards)):
1st round: 6 cards (1-6)
2nd round: 3 cards (7-9)
3rd round: 3 cards (10-12)
4th round: 3 cards (13-15)
5th round: 3 cards (16-18)
6th round: 3 cards (19-21)
7th round: 3 cards (22-24)
8th round: 3 cards (25-26+ 1 already seen card)

Now the deck is at max 20 cards, you normally build a least 6 cards, the three empty spaces and often overbuild the starting spaces.

So only 19 cards left. In turn 9 you draw 3 and in turn 10 you draw another 3 is about one third of the second time around. In turn 11 you are at about the half way round.That sounds familar to me.

It is harder to win a game in 10 rounds in the advanced version, but I still think 11 rounds is possible.

friedemann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games are usually right around 12 rounds.

I never used to count the number of rounds a game lasted until I read a strategy article on Puerto Rico years ago. Now I end up thinking "wow, that was only x rounds!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Our games are usually right around 12 rounds.

I've been keeping track of this the last few times we played, and our experience is turning out to be the same: in most cases the winner completed all 6 palaces in exactly 12 rounds, with other players one or two rounds behind at most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.