Subject: A true betrayal. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Background:

I love my fiddly bits in games. I am a big fan of finely sculpted minis.

I had been told for years that this game was a good game and quite fun to play. My reliable source on gaming news/trivia/recommendations(the local FLGS guy) had told me that I would really enjoy playing it.

So when I heard that they were re-releasing it I was quite excited. I could take it off my ebay watch lists and get the joy of opening a new a game.

So when it came out my fiancee really wanted to try it too... So I bought it.

Components:

Boy was I disappointed. I got home and opened the game and was one very sad panda. The components of the game were... horrific. Six poorly crafted figures(any of which could have been Meltman's twin on Action League Now), which as I found out by reading the rules, each represent one of two different characters. I would rather have finely sculpted figures than the prepainted monstrosities that came with this game. Add to that the card board that warps in a matter of days and oddly shaped cards and you have one horrible looking game.

Well it went back on the shelf and we didn't get a chance to play it for about 3 weeks.

Gameplay:
When we did I was extremely surprised. The game play was the exact opposite of the components.
The house starts out with only a few set tiles in place then more are revealed as you explore the house.
The game finds a unique(at least to me it is) way to determine both the scenario and who the traitor is. It is based upon which room the triggering omen is drawn in and which omen it is. You compare this to a matrix which gives you a number.
Then the traitor takes one manual into another room and the other players read a different one.
Each side reads the appropriate scenario in their manual and then play continues, each with different goals and win conditions, usually directly opposite of each other.

Summary:
I cannot stress enough how disappointing the components are in this game...but at the same time I cannot stress how fun this game is.
On an upside:
WOTC is supposedly replacing all of the faulty cardboard components when they get their next shipments. So this will take care of some of my complaints...
Now if only they would replace the meltmen wannabes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is true ugly duckling - great game but the components leave so much to be desired...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost find the crappy components ADD to the fun! Like bad special effects in a B-movie! (BaHotH is the movie...and the minis are the bats on strings!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
gattz wrote:
I almost find the crappy components ADD to the fun! Like bad special effects in a B-movie! (BaHotH is the movie...and the minis are the bats on strings!)

Last Night On Earth captures a B-movie experience with awesome components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay seriously, what kind of games is everyone else playing? I mean, the warping tiles are an issue, but whatevs, WotC s replacing em and even so they really didn't provide too much of an obstacle to playing the game. Aside from that I've found the components to be high quality and durable, having held up superbly after like 20+ games. I mean, the character minis are a little low detailed, but they look good enough, the colors are vivid, and I'm glad I did't have to pay an extra 10 dollars because it completely ruins some guy's immersion if you can't see the zipper on Ox's jeans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:
Okay seriously, what kind of games is everyone else playing? I mean, the warping tiles are an issue, but whatevs, WotC s replacing em and even so they really didn't provide too much of an obstacle to playing the game. Aside from that I've found the components to be high quality and durable, having held up superbly after like 20+ games. I mean, the character minis are a little low detailed, but they look good enough, the colors are vivid, and I'm glad I did't have to pay an extra 10 dollars because it completely ruins some guy's immersion if you can't see the zipper on Ox's jeans.

We would be playing games that were designed by companies with competent graphical design departments.
Flying Frog, Fantasy Flight Games, Ares/whatever the hell used to call themselves, hell even some of Asmodee & Matagot's games.

I'd take unpainted finely sculpted over painted like a pile shit any day.

The game itself isn't horrible. But having the bad luck to play the same haunt 3/5 times isn't helping my opinion of it. I know I know... its just bad timing but still annoying. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
But having the bad luck to play the same haunt 3/5 times isn't helping my opinion of it.

You don't have to play the same haunt if you don't want to. There is an optional rule in the rulebook which lets you select the haunt when this happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.