Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Searching through the threads, couldn't readily find.

2 player game. Both with the capacity to get to Tech V on their next turn. Who wins? Player with the 1st player token? (assuming both players are still in a position to research Space Flight at the end of the turn).

We are just starting the turn, we both have enough trade to research Space flight (if neither of us wins a battle). We're both hunkered down in our cities with fairly strong militaries. And I couldn't find, in the rules, what happens if two players reach the same victory condition on the same turn (culture or tech).

Thanks in advance! And apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states that the first player token is the tiebreaker (in a multi-player game, clockwise from such starting with that player).

The FAQ provides what many (myself included) is a more interesting advanced tie-breaker, where you count up # of techs + # of coins + # of spaces on the culture track if two players win on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al provorse
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we typically use the advanced tiebreaker variant whereby all players who complete a non-military victory in the same turn compute a victory point total at the end of the turn as carl described, noting that anyone that completes a military victory at any point immediately wins.

I have some reservations towards this system, however, so I would be interested in any home rules folks have developed. My reservations have been primarily theoretical and have yet to pan out more than once or twice in actual play so maybe the system is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the need for an elaborate tie-breaker. The one in the FAQ as is I have issues with, though.
First, you need 15 techs or 15 coins to win, but the culture track is longer. Thus I don't think one space along the culture track should be worth as much as one coin or one tech.
Second, I think someone who fulfills two victory conditions should win over someone who only fulfills one even if the tie-breaker would have the latter win. For example, if counting the spaces along the culture track, the coins and the techs player A has more points than player B but player B has both 15 coins and the level 5 tech while player A only has 15 coins, I would have player B win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you actually seen a player simultaneously fulfill multiple victory conditions? If you wanted to house rule that, it's easy enough, just say "number of victory conditions is the first tiebreaker, THEN apply the one from the FAQ"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.