Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received Merchants & Marauders from my BGG Secret Santa and the game is so popular with my gaming group that I have yet to take it home to play it myself. All of my friends have asked to borrow it. They bring it back to the next week's game group and have (so far) always taken care of it.

I've also loaned other games out to many of them. However, there is one chap that I will not loan anything to. He's a nice guy but he is rough on games (bends the cards, get's everything sticky, is constantly knocking pieces off the board and table, etc.) It has caused a couple uncomfortable moments when one person asks to borrow a game and I say "yes" and then he asks and I say "no".

So my question to you is if this has happened to you? Do you loan out your games? Do you have a strict no-loan policy ever? Are there some people you won't loan games to? If so, why? And finally, do you tell those people why you won't loan your games to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll loan any game to anyone in my game group. They are all friends of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to but have lost a few (and recoverd some in the most supprising places) over the years. I still lend but now tend to prerfer an exchange led.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loan out games. It does bother my OCD when I get it back and the box has a minor nick on it (with the contents fine). If I got back a game that was pretty beat up, I think that's when I would stop - and I would hope that they would realize why I stopped loaning it to them without me having to tell them. Overall, though, I give people the benefit of the doubt with my games (if I'm friends with them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I loan games all the time. Several games I've loaned have become permanent giveaways when the recipient loved the game more than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't loan my games often, mostly because I'm not generally asked, but when I borrow something I do have a strict "if it gets jacked up while I'm borrowing it, I will replace it with a brand new one" policy. I try very hard to treat borrowed games as if they were my own and sometimes better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
I am kind of odd and I just found out one weird personal charcteristic.

I do not loan games, ever. I did years ago and one of my prized out of print games came back with pieces missing. Creates an awkward situation as I am an OCD take care of stuff kind of guy.

That said, I constantly throw the keys to my F150 Lariat to anyone who needs a vehicle or wants to us the truck to move something. It is in excellent shape and is in no way a beater. I just view an expensive vehicle as a utilitarian possession whereas I view games as objects of joy that I safeguard more.

I know, weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
This really hasn’t come up yet with me but it would really depend on the game: My used copy of Dog Bites Man? Sure, go right ahead. My brand new with a thousand little bits copy of Year of the Dragon? Step away sloooowly.

My husband went out to a gaming night with a group of friends of friends who haven’t really gotten past Bananagrams and Apples to Apples. I couldn’t go (sick) but I carefully selected light intro games like Forbidden Island, Settlers of Catan(and I quote from one of the women there is a friend of mine, though I am now questioning this: "Collecting resources? That sounds like a boys game" Arrrrg!! Really??? You went to an all-women’s ivy league school! For shame!yuk), and Carcassonne, and fillers like Archeologyand told him that under no circumstances was he to let anyone play unless he was playing (there were two tables so he took over one).

Yeah, I am way too OCD for all of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. After lending out a copy of The Dark Knight paperback and having it come back with the spine damaged, I've stopped loaning *anything* of mine. Tell him you're OCD or something.

I *do* take requests for game night and have a duplicate "loaner" game on hand for anyone who wants to "swap games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, why not? it's just a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
I am not a social misanthrope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have loaned my students games so they can learn them at home. I buy all of my games and refer to them as "my children." So far, every game has come back undamaged and complete. Middle school kids rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have loaned a few games in the past and they have always come back in the same condition as it was loaned.

However, most of my friends I loan to have a great "I broke it I bought it" policy and I trust them. If I didn't, they wouldn't be my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't lend games.

I don't lend DVDs (I did once and I got the movie back about 2 years later).

I don't lend any of my hardcover Easton Press books from the "100 Greatest Books Ever Written" collection. I would lend paperbacks (other than my Doc Savage collection, which took me about 2 years to compile) if I was finished reading them, but no one has asked me so far.

On the other hand, I never ask to borrow stuff from other people. If I want something that much I'll buy it.

As Shakespeare wrote, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Juenger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do.

I am the games leader as far as quantity is concerned. When someone wants to borrow a game, it's usually because they are going to play with someone else, possibly introducing new people to the hobby!

I have yet to have a problem other than a couple of out of place cards or pieces. My OCD has diminished slightly with age.

DVD's on the other hand, I think I have "permanently" loaned about 20-30 lifetime... so I am more hesitant with those and make a note when I do send them away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

I mean, sure it’s ‘just a game’ but it is also part of a financial investment. Like I said before, context is really key here: something relatively inexpensive, easy to replace, sure, why not; something out of print and/or really expensive like Dune, Risk: Black Ops, or War of the Ring Collector's Edition (although that thing is a beast; I have no idea how you move it around), I would be very wary. I would have no issue leading to someone I was close to and who had the same respect for the components I have (so, super close friends) but more likely than not I would be with them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

When you have to replace it its an expence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
As a corollary to my above post on eccentricty and the indication that I do not loan games, let me add:

I normally host game events at my place 3 + nights a week. I also host and run two websites for event planning where I make it easy for others to post and host events. I feel like I give a lot to our local gaming community and invite people to come and check out a game at my place. They can bring friends and family if they like. If it is something they want to play more often, I encourage them to support the local game store and purchase a copy of their own. After all, this is a VERY affordable hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am generally more than willing to loan games to the people I play with, occasionally for months at a time. But I also know them fairly well. I suppose if I had a bad experience, I might alter that, but so far I've been fortunate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funkdonut wrote:
I have loaned my students games so they can learn them at home. I buy all of my games and refer to them as "my children." So far, every game has come back undamaged and complete. Middle school kids rock.

Wow, where do you teach?

I reluctantly started letting kids use my games in the after-school program. They put the game into the box, but who knows where they will leave it (not in my room, at least) and who knows iff all the parts will be there. Took about a week for tiles in Tsuro to go missing. led me to be annoyed that the game came with the exact number of tiles needed to play.

BTW, I loan games. Cheaper, easily replaced games at school. But for a friend, anything. I don't have friends that would be careless or unconcerned about protecting what is mine. I have no problem forgiving any mishap from a great person like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My grown, extremely responsible son asked to borrow my Ticket to Ride. After hemming and hawing, I bought him a copy. Sorry, no loans.

As for Doc Savage, I collected them from 1965 until the end, so no loans there, either, Joe. I know the feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loan out games a lot. Some don't come back if people move house. I figure I get payed in more eager opponents. Make sure to get the last one back before lending more to the same person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

Exactly, just stuff - take care of it, but in the end no big deal. I've got over 100 games and though I know that's not nearly as many as a lot of people around here it is also more than I need to keep me busy for a good long time. I'd be much happier owning a game that had a piece missing/broken/torn whatever than have a pristine example of cardboard, cubes and plastic on my shelf any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NojNosredna wrote:
cannoneer wrote:

Exactly, just stuff - take care of it, but in the end no big deal. I've got over 100 games and though I know that's not nearly as many as a lot of people around here it is also more than I need to keep me busy for a good long time. I'd be much happier owning a game that had a piece missing/broken/torn whatever than have a pristine example of cardboard, cubes and plastic on my shelf any day.

Because one day you think your self I fancy playing X and you hunt high and low and swear blind you owned a copy but cannot find it. The some while later you are trolling round a show or looking in a local shop and see a copy quite cheap and think “what the hell I’ll buy it, I thought I owned it maybe not” you get it home and find your initials on the rulebook, low and behold it’s the copy you thought you had assuming of course you do ever find copy again of an out of print game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Because one day you think your self I fancy playing X and you hunt high and low and swear blind you owned a copy but cannot find it. The some while later you are trolling round a show or looking in a local shop and see a copy quite cheap and think “what the hell I’ll buy it, I thought I owned it maybe not” you get it home and find your initials on the rulebook, low and behold it’s the copy you thought you had assuming of course you do ever find copy again of an out of print game).

You may need to get a better class of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.