Subject: solo game - Michael McGlen vs Yig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Falln The Kobold
Belgium
Bredene
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played Arkham Horror basic game solo. Michael McGlen was the inspector of the day.

His starting equipment is like always pretty good. 8$, Dynamite, Tommy Gun, Gate Box and as skill "Marksman". Since McGlen is a high stamina character I decided to go for a clean the streets strategy and ignore the gates. Speed set to 5, Fight 3 (9 with tommy gun), Will 4, Lore 3 and Luck 0 were the starting stats. Yig was the enemy of the day.

I first decided to visit the library since McGlen can’t reach the curiosity shop in one turn. The library was a bad choice and encounter with a whispering book made sanity drop to 2. The second turn had still no monsters in the streets and a visit to the curiosity shop gave the lamp of Alhazred (a magical +5 weapon). Two encounters with Mi-Go gave an Ancient Tablet and Powder of Ibn-Ghazi .

An early Disturbing the Dead and no gate trophies to seal it made the terror track go up 2 levels. Monsters in the outskirts made the go up three times ending the terror level at a total of five. When there were 7 gates open, it was time to get a blessing.

When Yig appeared McGlen had 10 Clue Tokens, Fight on 4 and powder of Ibn-Ghazi (+9 combat). Giving 20 dices. After the first round Yig had only 1 life left. During the second attack round McGlen had Fight on 5 and a Tommy Gun +6 totaling for 11 dice with a reroll from marksmanship (which wasn’t needed).

The game was won very easy, giving 7 points in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 2 would have been eight dice. You subtracted Yig's -3 the first round, but forgot the second. Still eight dice needing one hit, instead of eleven dice, wasn't going to make any difference.

This is why I use four investigators solo. This isn't a criticism, just personal preference. You never played the game. Collected clues, let the open gates pile up, got a blessing late and then blasted away when Yig awoke.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falln The Kobold
Belgium
Bredene
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Round 2 would have been eight dice. You subtracted Yig's -3 the first round, but forgot the second. Still eight dice needing one hit, instead of eleven dice, wasn't going to make any difference.

This is why I use four investigators solo. This isn't a criticism, just personal preference. You never played the game. Collected clues, let the open gates pile up, got a blessing late and then blasted away when Yig awoke.

Brian

This is true. Last time I played it I used sister Mary in a solo game. Like normal I went for the gates, but you can't keep the streets under control.This leads to lots of monsters in the outskirts and a high terror track.

I'll play some more solo games just to be sure, but I have trhe idea that in one player games with only one character the gate route is impossible.

you're right about the second round was a 8 dice roll. But even that was no problem (considering the reroll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My personal sweet spot is three investigators; usually enough to run a Gate strategy, but if you need to punt not too many to dilute the stores too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.