Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered the beautiful dungeoncrawl game that is Claustrophobia.

The strange thing is that although I have all the various Dungeoncrawl, Outdoor Dungeoncrawl, Sci-Fi Dungeoncrawl, etc games, this had passed me by entirely.

It is a super game, with elegant mechanics, meaningful decisions and cool components. I will not touch on any of these, as they are fully covered elsewhere.

What I do want to do is to attempt to bring the game to the attention of poor, sad fools like me who had not realised what this game was about.

I had thought that Claustrophobia was a game involving flicking discs to knock out other discs (like some other recent game).
I had thought that it required deep knowledge of some crazy French Sci-Fi world. Life is too short.
I had thought it was full of weird characters with way too many strange abilities. Way too much brain ache.

It is, in fact, a top quality, simple yet strategically challenging Dungeoncrawl.

My concern is that many fools like me will misunderstand the game. The title is a bit 'Eurogame', the fluff a bit dense-looking at first.

Now if the name was changed to 'Demons of the Crypt', 'Dungeon of the Demon Horde', or similar, you may get the D&D type crowd immediately interested. In addition, swap 'Cleric' for Redeemer, 'Fighter' for Brute, 'Rogue' for Blade, and you just hooked a potentially larger market.

Now don't get me wrong. I love the game, the theme and the original IP. I just want more people to 'get' it.

Perhaps I am in a minority of one here, and everyone else understands better than I did, but it is such a good game, I thought I should throw this out there.

Regards,

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please explain to me why everyone and their mother are comparing Ravenloft/Ashardalon with Claustrophobia (and Descent)? The only thing they have in common is (more or less) the theme. Oh, and they all have miniatures. And dice. That's about it. Ravenloft/Ashardalon are cooperative. Claustrophobia and Descent are adversarial/competitive. This makes their gameplay radically different and incomparable from the onset.

It's like comparing War of the Ring with Defenders of the Realm on the premise that both have a fantasy theme, dice, plastic miniatures and a board with a map on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't really comparing them, there are other posts that do that. I do think it would be valid to compare them as they are 'dungeoncrawls'. I just wanted to ensure that Claustrophobia got exposure as a great Dungeoncrawl. I have been looking for the Holy Grail of boardgame dungeoncrawls and hadn't even considered Claustrophobia.

Regards,

Fentum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why exactly you wrote a post about Claustrophobia and put it in a different games' thread. The majority of us are smart people and have probably already decided if we will get Claustrophobia or not based on its own reviews.

Edit: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree. This is little better than yet another spam post advertising some other game on someone elses game forum section. And for a game that is not released yet.

If you are going to post like this, at least try to make it a little on topic, such as how some component, minis, or rule could be used with this. (Which isnt even on the shelves yet other than promotional sets being passed around as of last check.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of posts on the 'Geek comparing one game with another. I don't really see why this is a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is friggin' awesome. It may even be the best of its kind. What exactly is its kind? It's a player vs. player dungeon crawl.

That's where the problem is. It's hard to say other dungeon crawls don't compare when they offer some key things that Claustrophobia does not. I'm specifically thinking of 2 things: 1) Co-op and/or 2) several players.

So, if WoA is anything like CR (and most expect it to be even better), it's hard to compare it with Claustrophobia b/c of their huge differences. BTW, I say this as a huge fan of CR and Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is GMing essentially. One player is playing the monsters, which is what a GM does. (Among other things of course. But thats the basics.)

LordHellfury wrote:
D6Frog wrote:
It is not GM-less.

There is no GM is claustrophobia. It is as you said 1vs.1. Enormous difference between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you have never GM'd Paranoia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Claustrophobia forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we're now in the Claustrophobia forum, I'll offer my take on how the games compare:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are they playing Ca$h 'n Gun$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
As we're now in the Claustrophobia forum, I'll offer my take on how the games compare:

This shot could do with a wider angle showing the demon and his solitary troglodyte pal compared to the variety of beasts you get with Castle Ravenloft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UlyZed wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

This shot could do with a wider angle showing the demon and his solitary troglodyte pal compared to the variety of beasts you get with Castle Ravenloft.

...and an even wider angle showing the WoA players asleep and the Claustrophobia players drawing 'CLostrafobia RULZ!' on their faces cool

If it's 6am and CBeebies has just started that would actually make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a good game but here is why I don't care for it...

Lame theme

Playing a Priest with 4 gimps(convicts) vs 1 Cool Demon boss and a few little trolls is just not the same thing.

The tiles are incredible. But the minis...and theme leave a lot to be desired.

But the game design is really good. I'd love to see CROC use it in another game. Or maybe, the upcoming expansion will give me Heroes that are actually bada$$ and Demons that are actually scary...and some actual variety.

With that said I don't consider it a dungeoncrawler at all. Its a skirmish game with more in common with Space Hulk.

It is 1vs 1. It is not co-op. It is not solo. It is not GM-less.

Hmmm...Troglodytes aren't trolls, they're much more like gremlins rather but with better design
And what do you mean by more bada$$ heroes? Aren't humans and especially Brutes bada$$ enough? And Redeemer with its war hammer? Shit, I don't understand you at all.
And minis, as prepainted, are just fine to me, with very good design, different sizes and different motion expression, too. There's enough of this for a quick skirmish game.
I should only add these 2-3 miniatures of demons and maybe 2 new minis of condemned for a better variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The humans are definitely not the heroes in this game; they’re the intruders and actually being the bad guys. So if you’re looking for the classical fantasy theme with heroic characters fighting baddies I don’t think you will find it in the expansion.

I’m with Lord Hellfury on the theme; it seems that a dark and very original theme has been toned down due to commercial reasons and tries to please all groups but ends up being confusing and unfulfilling.

Here’s hoping that the Hell Dorado theme will be unfolded to its true glory in the expansion; it might scare some people off but it will provide a much more immersive experience for the fans. Just look at Chaos in the Old World; they didn't shy away but went all the way with a grim theme.

I said this before but yes the humans are way too clean cut. Come on they have the world’s most hostile and dangerous work place - hell. I see them with scars, burn marks, missing a finger and an eye. They don’t come more bad ass, bruised and battered than the veteran warriors from hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. Moreover, it's too bad that both Brutes and both Blades for Hire looking exactly the same(except hair color, of course). Mini-campaign is trying to solve it with big variety of interesting characters, but still base game suffers a lack of few minis for distinguish them.
I believe expansion set will partially solve it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely agree on the variety aspect of the minis but choosing between variety or having them prepainted I’d go with the latter - but now it looks like I don’t have to choose - yay!

One cool thing would be if you could attach additional equipment to the minis: shield and blunderbuss etc.

Another cool thing, which I’m certain we won’t see, would be if you for every hit could detach a limb on the mini: a hand, an arm etc until there only would be a bloody torso left on the ground. It might have an opposite effect though and instead give some comical reminiscences to the King Arthur movie by Monty Python.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.