Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted my 32nd review to BGG, and I got, wait for the excitement folks, 2.8. shake

Maybe it's time reviews were flat rate like photos - say 10gg? Or maybe 8 so you can buy a microbadge for the game you've just reviewed. Or maybe a free microbadge OF the game you just reviewed. Or microbadge coupon.

I honestly would rather post my reviews for FREE than get 2.8gg, so I would like to have an option to click on a little box that says "no GG for this please, just let the moderators approve or reject this"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Seems reasonable to me - time to inflate the GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree most of my reviews take several hours to write, 2 to 3 GG seems a little cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Seems reasonable to me - time to inflate the GG!

...too easy...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've 'got' 'dibs' on the MILLION bag REVIEW/Session/VIDEO/Strategy/FORUMS 'concept' and any derivatives/partial amount(s) for such! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day we didn't get anything for a game review... AND WE LIKED IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
whistle "Where were YOU?... the YEAR when I had the ONLY STRATEGY ARTICLES ABOUT FORTRESS AMERICA..." and it wasn't even considered FOR such 'awards' during the YEARLY acknowledgment and display regarding anything?

BIAS: "DO NOT WANT!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I just submitted my 32nd review to BGG, and I got, wait for the excitement folks, 2.8. shake

Maybe it's time reviews were flat rate like photos - say 10gg? Or maybe 8 so you can buy a microbadge for the game you've just reviewed. Or maybe a free microbadge OF the game you just reviewed. Or microbadge coupon.

I honestly would rather post my reviews for FREE than get 2.8gg, so I would like to have an option to click on a little box that says "no GG for this please, just let the moderators approve or reject this"

Roger your reviews are great and are worth more than 2.8gg.

But I think reviews should continue to be moderated. At least some of the crappier ones are kept out. Without moderating, they may proliferate.

Aldie, I don't think raising the bounty for reviews is needed either. Honestly Roger, you don't do this for the geekgold, right? You do it because you are an engaged, discerning gamer and you want to share your views about games that interest you with your fellow geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
But I think reviews should continue to be moderated. At least some of the crappier ones are kept out. Without moderating, they may proliferate.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, but to be clear, my points are:

1. I want reviews to be moderated (yes to moderation)
2. I don't care about the geek gold award because as you say I'm an engaged gamer yada yada.

That said, if you're going to reward reviews, then it should be reasonable given how much time and effort it takes to do a review. 5gg ain't that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Better yet was the flood of shill 1's...of course those balanced some of the 10's.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For those who think I'm referring to the current games ratings system, I'm NOT. Before thumbs was a rating system of 1-10. Boy, you thought shills are bad these days on BGG; back in the day they shilled your content DIRECTLY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start a review drive. If we get 10000 reviews, everyone gets 3 GG. But for every 100 reviews past that, all of us get 1 more GG!

*watches as the economy collapses (assuming such a thing exists)*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up on doing reviews and session reports as I saw the people with decent cameras just overwhelm the DB with picture after picture of people playing the game, pictures of this component or that, or other such craziness. Also, I see some really crazy session reports or reviews done and they get maybe they get 4.5 GG for their hours long crafting of a report on the game.

Picture taking is where the GG is at, and typing and thinking about games gets you less than 3 snapshots of each individual piece in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and reviews used to be worth a flat rate of 3 GG. In their generosity, the admins revamped the system to allow for floating granting of GG. People are stingy with virtual money that's not theirs I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, BGG could just match the GG contributions of the rest of the community. If the Geekmodders tag a review as a "good post," the system automatically matches any GG tips the review recieves over the next 7 days.

I know, I know; probably not feasible. But a man can dream, can't he?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews are a labor of love. They're not a way to make GG. Right or wrong, I like it that way. I would hate if reviews were a good way to make GG because then you'd get more reviews that were of lower quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Reviews are a labor of love. They're not a way to make GG. Right or wrong, I like it that way. I would hate if reviews were a good way to make GG because then you'd get more reviews that were of lower quality.

That's not my point.

My point is that given how much time and effort it takes to do a review, getting 2.8gg (or even the max, 5gg) is an insult. I'd rather do it for free.

Very much like there's a big difference between being paid $5/hr to flip pancakes and volunteering to do the same thing at a charity event.

I write reviews because I like to - not because it earns me gg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha, sorry I got caught up in the replies complaining about how little GG you get. While I don't mind getting a little GG, I'd rather earn my way to the "Contributes to BGG without GG reward" microbadge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original intent was to give kudos to the users for adding content. But the constant barrage of crap pictures for GG is really annoying. I really think that the GG reward for any content addition is really unnecessary these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
I agree most of my reviews take several hours to write, 2 to 3 GG seems a little cheap.

Geek gold has no bearing on time spent, I spent almost an entire day putting together a geeklist and geeklists earn no geek gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
The original intent was to give kudos to the users for adding content. But the constant barrage of crap pictures for GG is really annoying. I really think that the GG reward for any content addition is really unnecessary these days.

I like geek gold. It's a nice way to reward contributions, and it's fun to earn microbadges. I would be sad if it went away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
I gave up on doing reviews and session reports as I saw the people with decent cameras just overwhelm the DB with picture after picture of people playing the game, pictures of this component or that, or other such craziness. Also, I see some really crazy session reports or reviews done and they get maybe they get 4.5 GG for their hours long crafting of a report on the game.

Picture taking is where the GG is at, and typing and thinking about games gets you less than 3 snapshots of each individual piece in a game.

This has always made perfect sense to me, after all a picture is worth a thousand words.
And my guess is that the pictures are clicked to open far more often than reviews, session reports, files and geeklists.
It would be interesting to see actual data on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Geek gold has no bearing on time spent, I spent almost an entire day putting together a geeklist and geeklists earn no geek gold.

Geeklists aren't moderated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Let users post content for "free"
I think pics are rewarded with too much GG, but I'm sure the guys running BGG have thought about this pretty carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Let users post content for "free"
I'd post my reviews for free if they would only result in some feedback. I spent several hours in all writing, editing and formating my last one, and three people responded to it (thank you, three people). I see single-page reviews get considerably more comments and encouragement, so did I simply pick the wrong game? Of course, the system can't create feedback for me, unless a system of FeedBots is implemented creating randomly composed messages with generic components.

SteveBot wrote:
Nice review! I agree with most of what you said but sometimes I think ~this~ is just too long for what it is. Last week we played ~this~ and Dominion. Informative review! Do you know if there is a 2-player variant for ~this~? Cool review! Have you tried Diplomacy? I like mangos.

The fact that the work-to-GG-reward ratio is out of whack for pictures and reviews has probably been beaten to death already. I'd much rather complain about the arbitrary limits on award microbadges. Grumble grumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.