Popular Tags: [View All]
(Yen) How Weng Yien
Australia
Kenwick/Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I feel that the rule to determine where you emerge from the treasure chamber quite strange. How does your fighting ability determine where you emerge? Does the Lord of Darkness point you to a different exit depending on how hard you can smack him across the face with your gauntleted hand?

Also, I don't like the fact that the Ogre Chieftain can cheese the dungeon by piling his followers on the Lord and getting a free pass to the Crown.

Defeating the Highland Eagle King allows you a free teleport to any space in the Outer or Middle Region. I thought why not make the Dungeon a gateway to the Inner Region since the Lord of Darkness is stronger? It makes sense to me because dungeons usually lead to sinister places such as vampire's tower and crypts, but you can never be sure where it will take you. So I came up with this alternative rule for the dungeon treasure chamber.

ALTERNATIVE TREASURE CHAMBER

Fight the Lord of Darkness as normal.

If you are defeated by the Lord, lose one life. Move to the Crags and end your turn.

If you have a stand-off, move to the Crags and end your turn.

If you killed the Lord, take a Treasure Card and roll 2 dice to see where you emerge. Encounter the space as normal.

2 Valley of Fire
3 Pits
4 Vampire's Tower
5 Mines
6 Portal of Power
7 Chasm
8 Plain of Peril
9 Crypt
10 Death
11 Werewolf Den
12 Crown of Command

If you win, you can be almost sure that you will end up somewhere in or near the Inner Region. You will only find the Crown of Command if you are very lucky, so have your Talisman ready or be prepared to backtrack.

With this variant, you now have an alternative route to victory. Instead of going Outer Region -> Middle Region -> Inner Region -> Crown, you can go Outer Region -> Dungeon -> Inner Region -> Crown. Either way, you will need a Talisman so no free pass! Go do that Warlock Quest!

Thanks for reading

Yen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.