Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

If I successfully plot against one country twice in a row, once with a 2 ops card and once with a 3 ops card, do I keep the markers seperate so the US knows which plot was placed by which card (and theoretically would have the choice of alerting the plot from the 3 ops first) or can I mix them together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Carter
United States
Dayton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Russ,

I feel that you could mix them together. 8.5.4 Hidden Plots clearly indicates that only the Jihadist player can know their values.

Larry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
But the US player can make educated guesses about their values.

I think this is a gray area which depends on how much "gamesmanship" you and your opponents prefer in your games. If I'm the US I'm definitely trying to keep track of which plots were placed with which cards. If the Jihadist plots again and wants to place the new plots on top of or right next existing ones in a country to make it harder to tell- that's fine. If he wants to pick up the pre-existing plots mix them all up behind his back and then place the old ones and new ones back down....I don't think that's allowed by the rules, but if you (and your opponents) want to play that way nobody is stopping you.

If I'm the Jihadist, sure I try to be sneaky. One trick is to stack 2 plots on top of each other, with the one you'd rather go off on the bottom- hoping that if only 1 is alerted the US player will simply select the top one off the stack. I don't go to the extreme of picking plots back up and remixing the pool before placing new ones though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye I wouldn't do more than stir them around a bit if playing face to face (or place 2 '2s' with the 2 and a '1' with the 3 ops followed by evil laughter when the '1' got alerted ), mostly I'm asking as I'm writing an ACTS like thing for Labyrinth (as a personal project) and wondered if I should let the US see what cards had placed each plot before alerting (I'm recording it so we can check the Jihadist isn't cheating).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ah, this is one of the areas where playing via computer may require you to change the rules of the game in small ways. Obviously the physical layout of the board and pieces is absent- which strips away of lot of opportunities for gamesmanship. As far as cheating goes, in person you have two options:

1) Trust your opponent
2) Catch them cheating

Unless you are playing with surveillance cameras behind your opponent, then there is no "fail safe" way of cheat detection.

It will be interesting to see how GMT implements this in their forthcoming computer game version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Carter
United States
Dayton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally take your points about being fair. It wasn't my intention to suggest that you pick up the existing plots and mix them in with the new ones which seems a bit much. But then nothing stops you as the Jihadist player from reviewing the existing plots which gives plenty of opportunity to mix them around on board.

Obviously if you are putting that many ops into plots in a single country you are looking for a big benefit. There are a lot of factors to this though. What is the target countries governance, does the US player have one or two 3 op cards etc. If you manage to get off all five plots you have a better scenario for mixing and even with two 3 op cards the US player is going to see at least one 2 plot card go off. Trying to mix two plots isn't likely to fool a watchful US player unless you pull some kind of trick.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think the proposed scenario really won't come up that often anyway. It's a valuable discussion to be sure but honestly I think it boils down to who you and your opponent are as players (as Dan largely pointed out already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By 8.5.4, the Jihadist player may handle the plots in a country and the US player may not (until Alerted or Resolved, or via Event such as "Backlash" that allows the US to select a plot). If the Jihadist player were to inspect all the facedown plots in a country at once, then place them facedown again at once, that would be within the bounds of 8.5.4 (and probably within a terrorist's character). - vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing in Vassal, we put the cards in the random cardndraw window.

This is probably the main reason the plots are implemented as cards in the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.