United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, if I want to get some background on Drizzt, what should I read first?

The first book by publication date (Crystal Shard) or first book chronologically (Homeland) or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
In my experience people are fairly divided when it comes to starting the books with the Icewind Dale or Darkelf trilogies.

I suggest Icewind Dale. I think the books can be a bit hard to read if you have read Darkelf first because the writing quality is noticably worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
Start with icewind dale tales,
Because you will start to love characters and
Gain interest for their background

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Homeland and went on from there. I had no idea at the time that people suggested Icewind Dale first.

Looking back, I don't regret it at all. Homeland is an excellent book that really lays down the story of where Drizzt came from and why he is who he is. I wouldn't go so far to say the second book is fantastic, but I did like the third of the trilogy.

Now the Icewind Dale series were very fun to read. I would have to say they were my favorite of the bunch so far, but that's a hard choice.

Good luck on your adventure! You will love the series once you begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Utley Jr
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For background on this game, I think I would go with Crystal Shard. It will have more of the characters and you will get a pretty good grasp at who does what. But if you keep going, finish the Icewind Dale trilogy then go back to Dark Elf Trilogy. I think that would be the least confusing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Xybec wrote:
For background on this game, I think I would go with Crystal Shard. It will have more of the characters and you will get a pretty good grasp at who does what. But if you keep going, finish the Icewind Dale trilogy then go back to Dark Elf Trilogy. I think that would be the least confusing for you.

And then keep on going as the next four or five books are even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend that you start with the Icewind Dale trilogy, as the Dark Elf trilogy makes reference to characters & places in the original books that may leave you wondering what's going on. While it may seem to make more sense to go chronologically storywise, it's better to start at the beginning.
I will say this, though - if you can, pick up a couple books at a time. They're definitely fun reads, and some of them do have a bit of a cliffhanger. At least you won't have to wait for the next book for a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started in chronological order, and actually had no idea that the crystal shard was writen first. I LOVED them all. I read the entire legend of drizzt series, right after the other, then moved to the hunters blade trilogy after that.

I think you should real them in chronological order, just so the story flows smoothly fom plot to the next. Have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Overstreet
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
I started with Homeland. When I got to Icewind Dale it was like a slap in the face. As stated before the writing is much worse in these books. You so fall in love with the story telling in the first books it is a grind getting through Icewind Dale. Looking back through the posts I see we haven't been much help. Just start somewhere would be my suggestion. They are a fun read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Skeels
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Homeland too and I love the trilogy. The first was best, and I liked the second too, probably because I'm a caver. Third book was okay. Then I read Icewind Dale and dear lord was that a corny trilogy. Full of cliches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with the Dark Elf trilogy and was apparently too young or stupid to notice any distinct drop-off in writing quality by the time I got to Icewind Dale. Although I definitely preferred the Dark Elf books because the Drow are awesome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice a difference in writing, but not a lack of quality. All the stories are written well and flow smoothly from one to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the Dark Elf trilogy first. I find the origin story of Drizzt, his exodus from the corrupt realm of his people, among whom he is a misfit, far more intriguing than the simple adventure story of a D&D party (Crystal Shard, etc.).

I may be in the minority, but I have never really found Wulfgar, Catti-Brie, Regis or Bruenor to be as compelling as Drizzt. Originally, the Crystal Shard revolved around Wulfgar, with Drizzt created as a sidekick to round out the party. Because it became abundantly clear than Drizzt was by far the most popular character (and quite unusual, at the time), Salvatore wrote his back-story.

The Dark Elf trilogy has much more character musings, political diatribes by Drow matriarchs and priestesses (and much scenery-chewing, too!). It is a solo quest and a coming-of-age tale. The Icewind Dale is about a group that go on a quest together to destroy a powerful magical artifact. Plus, for what it's worth, I don't think that the frozen North, Luskan, Silverymoon, and Calimport are anywhere near as interesting and weird, setting-wise, as the Underdark, so that's awesome, too.

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.