Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Burn and bleed ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosen Kazakov
msg tools
Hi , iam confused about something , can somebody help me out here ? SO if monster with burn ability attacks hero and does 8 damage, does he gets 1 burn token for each wound ? I think its a little bit imbalanced to take 8 burn damage ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Poison inflicts one effect token for each wound token lost, but Bleed, Burn, Daze, Frost, Stun, and Web never inflict more than 1 token per attack (and they work if the attack rolls any damage at all, even if all of the damage is absorbed by armor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to Antistone's answer, for a burn attack:

1. Roll to inflict damage.
2. If there are no X's, give one burn token to the victim.
3. Count up damage and compare to armour as you would for any other attack and allocate wounds accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not quite accurate: it's possible (though rare) for an attack to do 0 damage even if there are no X's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
That's not quite accurate: it's possible (though rare) for an attack to do 0 damage even if there are no X's.

But wouldn't that still be a successful attack (As in, one that gives the target a burn counter)?

Those posts remind me, I NEED to get this game back on the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
But wouldn't that still be a successful attack (As in, one that gives the target a burn counter)?

The condition for adding a burn token is not merely that the attack is successful...

"If an attack by a monster or weapon with the Burn ability inflicts at least 1 damage on the target (before applying the effects of armor), the target catches fire." (Rules p.22, emphasis added)

You may be thinking of the FAQ ruling about when the overlord can spend surges to gain threat (which is on any attack that hits a hero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... I see, yes I suppose I mixed those two rules together in my addled (and overly long Descent-starved) brain, I appreciate the clarification.

And I still need to finally get this back on the table.... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:

Yeah, ok. I'll give you that one. Very low probability, but possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.