Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hive: The Ladybug» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ladybug movement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Freedom to Move rule apply to the Ladybug as she moves across the hive?

Does she slide across the top of the hive like a Beetle moves? Or do she hop over everything the way a Hopper moves?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rmingersoll wrote:
Does the Freedom to Move rule apply to the Ladybug as she moves across the hive?

Does she slide across the top of the hive like a Beetle moves? Or do she hop over everything the way a Hopper moves?


The Ladybug moves along the top of the Hive, step by step like a beetle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. She is under the same restrictions as the beetle when moving across the hive. Here is what I believe to be a correct and complete discussion of these restrictions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/615908/beetle-movement-a...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Wright
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ladybug moves three spaces; two on top of the Hive, then one down. It must move exactly two on top of the Hive and then move one down on its last move. It may not move around the outside of the Hive and may not end its movement on top of the Hive. Even though it cannot block by landing on top of other pieces like the Beetle, it can move into or out of surrounded spaces. It also has the advantage of being much faster.

Does anyone else think this is poorly written? How do you get from stepping down on one turn, to on top of the hive the next turn?
I assume it means to step up one, like the Beetle, then one more then back down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kolster
msg tools
Another question: can the Ldaybug end its move on the starting position? I know this would be a silly move most of the time but the rules won't prohibit this directly. It won't violate the freedom of movement rule or the one hive rule and it it possible to move exactly two pieces on the hive and drop down into the starting position.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nereid42 wrote:
Another question: can the Ldaybug end its move on the starting position? I know this would be a silly move most of the time but the rules won't prohibit this directly. It won't violate the freedom of movement rule or the one hive rule and it it possible to move exactly two pieces on the hive and drop down into the starting position.


Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
Nereid42 wrote:
Another question: can the Ldaybug end its move on the starting position? I know this would be a silly move most of the time but the rules won't prohibit this directly. It won't violate the freedom of movement rule or the one hive rule and it it possible to move exactly two pieces on the hive and drop down into the starting position.


Yes.

Is there evidence for this? In the past, John Yianni has said that you cannot make a move which leaves the "moving" piece in its starting position (as noted in Hive FAQ).

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/13187649#13187649
Gen Four Two wrote:
No you cannot move any piece to end up where it started
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.