Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired Dice Town and am reading through the rules. I'm not quite understanding how spending money to build a better hand fits into the simultaneous reveal of the dice.

Do you reveal the dice simultaneously, and then everyone who has more or less than 1 die under the cup has to pay?

Here's the scenario I'm trying to figure out. Players A and B both have 2 dice set aside and are shaking 3. Player A leaves 2 dice in his cup and is planning on paying $1 for the 2nd. But Player B has 3 dice in his cup, and is paying $2, and with this action has now used all 5 dice.

So player A gets one more roll, as I understand the rules. But does he still pay the dollar he was intending on paying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Player A pays $1 for the turn since he kept 2 dice in his cup. You always pay for any dice in excess of the 1 you are allowed. Once the last player has placed his 5 dice, then there is 1 final roll, and nobody pays anything for the dice on the final roll, no matter how many they have left (e.g. Player A keeps 1 dice on his first roll, Player B keeps 5, paying $4 to do so. On the next roll, Player A rolls all 4 dice and must keep them all, but doesn't pay any extra to do so since it is a final roll).

Everyone reveals their plans simultaneously. Carefully slide out the dice you don't plan on keeping, and then lift at the same time. Nobody should know who is keeping what or how many before the reveal stage. This is important because some players may be going out right away, and you might keep more dice if you knew this information, knowing your next roll would be your last.

In the few games I've played, rarely does someone ever get 5 rolls on a turn. Players are always paying to keep extra dice, and forcing the pace. This forces other players to settle and keep more dice than they might want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I just acquired Dice Town and am reading through the rules. I'm not quite understanding how spending money to build a better hand fits into the simultaneous reveal of the dice.

Do you reveal the dice simultaneously, and then everyone who has more or less than 1 die under the cup has to pay?

Here's the scenario I'm trying to figure out. Players A and B both have 2 dice set aside and are shaking 3. Player A leaves 2 dice in his cup and is planning on paying $1 for the 2nd. But Player B has 3 dice in his cup, and is paying $2, and with this action has now used all 5 dice.

So player A gets one more roll, as I understand the rules. But does he still pay the dollar he was intending on paying?

- Yes, you reveal simultaneously.
- Yes, you pay for each die less or more than one, independently of what other players are doing
- When any one player has decided to keep the result of his 5th die, everyone that still has dice left gets one last roll.

Example:
First roll, Player A keeps all 5 dice, Player B keeps 3.
Player A pays $4 and is finished, Player B pays $2 and has one more roll for two remaining dice whose result he then has to keep (wihout paying anything.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I guess that helps.... so in my example person B would have to pay his dollar, even though the instructions say "on the good side, they don't have to pay anything, even if they threw more than one die on this last roll" . That's the part that's tripping me up.

While I have your kind guidance, I'll sneak in another question. If A ends with 4 K & 1 Q, and B ends with 4 K & 1 J, does A have the best poker hand or is that considered a tie?

I appreciate your help getting me ready for my first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, A wins that poker hand. Q beats J in that case. The only way there is a tie is if all 5 dice are exactly the same.

For ties with 4 of a kind, you start by comparing the 4 matching cards. Highest wins. If the matching cards are tied, you look at the final card.

In a Full House tie, you start by comparing the value of the triplets. Highest wins. If the triplets are matching, compare the pair.

In a Straight, you look at the highest value in the straight. Whoever starts with the highest die wins.

For a 3 of a kind, you compare the triplet set. If that results in a tie, you compare the higher of the 4th and 5th dice. Whoever has the highest dice wins. If that dice is a tie, you use the 5th die.

In a 2P, you look at the highest pair. If the two highest pairs are tied, you look at the lower pairs. If those are tied, you look at the 5th die.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, indeed, that helped a lot - thanks.

Now one last question before I stop pestering you (can you tell I'm trying to play a game by myself?)

A and B both have 4 dice saved and are rolling their 5th.

A is happy with the last roll, but B would like to pay $1 to re-roll that last die.

Can he? And can he keep paying to roll that last die multiple times while A is just sitting there?

I appreciate your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B can pay $1 to re-roll because he can leave 0 dice under the cup. Both players can do this as long as they can afford it. However, once one of them commits their 5th die, any players with active dice get ONE, and ONLY one more roll. Remember, A and B reveal their intentions at the same time because they lift their cup at the exact same time, and only after cups are lifted is it determined who owes what and who is rerolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That helps. Think I'm ready to try a game with another human now.

I appreciate the help.

Deb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I was wondering... Let's say I was planning to have the more Q that I can to take card from my opponent. On my first roll, I only get one Q and keep it, but my opponents each roll 3 and keep them as well. Can I reroll my Q since I have almost no chance to get what I want or is it "Once you decide to keep a dice, you have to stick with your choice,"?

Thanks for answering. I REALLY enjoy this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once players reveal (SIMULTANEOUSLY), there is no changing the dice. You have to stick with your choice. Makes the game a lot harder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.