Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit By Asmodee

Dixit is a card game that incorporates bluffing, creativity, and how well do you know your fellow players into a party game for 3-6 players.

What's In The Box

The inside of the box is organized well, yet I think the game could have easily come in a much smaller box. Part of the reason for the box being so large is that the scoreboard is actually part of the box itself, it's a track of stepping stones numbered from 0 to 30 drawn in a whimsical fashion that matches the lightheartedness of the game. In the center of this track is a square cut-out that houses the playing cards, the voting chits, and the bunny meeples for keeping score. Everything is kept snug in the center box and the scoring track is definitly aesthetically pleasing. One point I cannot emphasize enough though is that the artwork is absolutely beautiful in this game. Each card in the game has a unique full color painting done in an almost storybook motif. If not for the wasted space this would be a perfect 10.

Components And Presentation Verdict: 9.75/10

How Does It Play?

The rulebook is presented in multiple languages, which is probably a good thing since I think this review will have more words than the instructions. This is not a bad thing, the game is extremely simple to learn and the entire rules are summed up in less than 1 page. There is even a nice 2nd page that has examples of play, game tips, and finally variants including rules for only 3 players.

To start, each player chooses a color of bunny meeple to represent them on the scoring track. Then each player is given voting chits with the color matching their bunny meeple. Finally everyone is dealt a hand of 6 cards and then the game can begin.

The player whos turn it is is called the storyteller. On the storytellers turn they look at their own hand,

pick whichever card they wish to play, play it to the center of the table face down, and give a subtle clue as to what the card is. Then every player in turn looks through their own hand and finds a card that as closely as possible matches the clue and also places it face down on the table.

The cards in the center of the table are then shuffled and placed face up in a row.

Do note that normally you don't put the bunny meeples under each card, I merely did so in my example so I can illustrate which player played each card.

Lets say in the original sample hand "red" had played his card face down on the table and his/her simple clue was to merely say "Pete" because it reminded "red" of the childrens movie "Petes Dragon". So "green" looks at his hand and recalls that "red" has a cat named Pete and plays a card. "White" recalls the local Pharmacist that everyone see's is named Pete. "Blue" remembers the childrens character Peter Cottontail and plays a card. Finally "yellow" knows that "red" has a child who owns a teddy bear named Pete and plays a card.

Each player except the Storyteller looks at all the cards in play and try's to figure out which card is actually the Storytellers. Each player takes one of their own numbered voting chits and places it face down in front of themselves with whatever number they think matches the location of the Storytellers card. Once everyone has voted the voting chits are all turned face up.

Then the scoring begins! Scoring is simple, if all players or no players find the correct picture, the storyteller scores 0 points, and each of the other players scores 2 points. Otherwise the storyteller and whoever found the correct answer scores 3 points. Finally players score 1 point for every vote received for their own picture.

The cards in the center of the table are then discarded, every player fills their hand back up to 6, and then the player to the Storytellers left becomes the new Storyteller. Play continues like this until the final card is drawn, when that happens the game is over. Whoever has the highest score is declared the winner.

Simplicity Of The Rules: Verdict 10/10

Daddy Why's This Guy Got A Sword In His Belly?

As a father of 2 future boardgamers, a large concern of mine is how secure am I in letting my eldest son play and or rummage through a game box. Granted BGG and boardgames themselves very clearly tell you a minimum age, they don't tell you exactly why that minimum age was chosen. My hope is to arbitrarily tell you why I think this age range was chosen for this game and then hopefully give a few ideas I might have for a game to make it easier on the young ones. Finally I will close with what seems to be the "sweet spot" for number of players and if the game has solo rules I'll comment on those too.

Dixit is the very model of what a childrens game should be (but don't for a moment think it is only a childrens game). It comes with 84 cards that have some of the tamest paintings I have ever seen in a board game. This is artwork that for the most part with few exceptions (the vine with the knife coming to mind) could be found in a childrens book. The game rules themselves are not the least bit difficult to learn, the hardest part would be having the cognitive ability to form valid clues. I feel that a bluffing/clue giving mechanic requires a slightly more mature mentality or you might end up with...call them "odd" clues. The gamebox says ages 8 and up, but a fairly cognitive 6 or 7 year old could probably play too (especially with some more forgiving parents).

Family Friendliness Verdict: Family Safe, Family Fun For All Ages

The box lists 3-6 players, but to play with only 3 players you have to use variant rules included with the game. This is one of those games that is just going to be more fun with more players. In my humble opinion this is one of the rare up to 6 player games that is actually still fun with 6 players. Sweet spot? The more the merrier! Ok really it is best with 5-6 players.

But Is It Fun?
This is a great party game. Simple to learn, simple to play, yet fun! There isn't the difficulty of the game having too "geeky" of a theme, so just about anyone will be willing to give it a shot. The game also encourages a lot of player interaction, especially when you have to explain your terrible clue to the rest of the players. The only downfall to the game is that couples will have an ever so slight advantage at least in reading a spouses clues. That advantage can be avoided, but it is a possible hinderance for some.

Overall Final Game Verdict: 9.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hitson
United States
Junction City
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great review! I don't agree that the box is a waste of space though. I like the score track a lot, and I appreciate that the designer wasn't concerned about squeezing the game into the smallest package possible. I don't like wasted space either, but in this case I think the game was packaged appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronJH wrote:
Great review! I don't agree that the box is a waste of space though. I like the score track a lot, and I appreciate that the designer wasn't concerned about squeezing the game into the smallest package possible. I don't like wasted space either, but in this case I think the game was packaged appropriately.

I had to really think about it myself before I gave it a minor ding in my review. If I had not previously reviewed forbidden Island and seen how a great game can be in a smaller package I might have even overlooked this aspect. Perfect in my opinion would have been a small foldout scoreboard which might have cured the problem some people have with the bunny's tipping over (which to be honest was never a problem for me).

Next up is Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game as soon as I get a few mini's painted to go with the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Australia
Perth
Western Austrailia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. Theboxishugeandiamgladtheychangeditindixit2. I like your addition of photos to illustrate your explanations. Hopefullydixitodysseywillhaveafittingboxtoo. Thanks for doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I love the Dixit box size as I also store -

Dixit 2
Mow
Bohnanza
Pickomino
Sushizock
Bunny, Bunny, Moose, Moose
and To Court the King

in it. For a convenient package of simple family games to take to friend's houses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever about the box size, i played this game for first time last night and really loved it. Lovely mechanics and art.Also ideal because it doesnt take too long at all. Looking forward to the next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.