Popular Tags: crokinole [+] [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way I can spend $100+ on a game.

Are there cheapy boards (under $50) worth getting? Or, would the game play be so bad that it's not worth my time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Are cheap boards even worth getting?
If you are going to spend $50 spend the extra and get yourself a good board. It's worth it and it isn't just a game it's a piece of furniture.

Great game BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Phlegm (#472974),

I don't get the Crokinole-snobbery. Yes, one would IDEALLY have a Hlinski or such board. But the $30 Wal-Mart / Toys R Us board is exactly the type of board most of us who played the game growing up, played on.

You get what you pay for - but Crokinole on-the-cheap is w-a-y better than no Crokinole at all. If the three-digit price point of a 'nice board' is pushing you towards no Crokinole at all, get a $30 painted pressboard deck. You won't want to put it on display, it won't last forever, and the disc travel won't be as smooth as on finished hardwood. But you can play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy (#473075),

I second everything that Mark guy just said. I just found a Carrom board at a local thrift store for $6.00! Great shape too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Canada, department stores typically sell cheap painted pressboard versions, with Crokinole on one side of the board and Carroms on the other side. Several online retailers in the US sell sets like this for US$30, for example: http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1124947
Similarly priced products should come up if you search froogle.google.com for "crokinole". Unfortunately these sets sometimes come with plastic rings, but you can buy a complete set of 24 wooden crokinole discs for around $5 at stores like Toys-R-Us. It won't match the quality of an expensive wooden board, but the high cost of a wooden set can be prohibitive for most people. If a wooden set is outside your budget, a cheap pressboard version like the one pictured below with a set of wooden crokinole discs is an excellent alternative, and will provide hours of satisfaction and fun. I've not yet found that the cheaper quality detracted from enjoying the game. Cheap crokinole is better than no crokinole! I'd say go for it, you likely won't regret it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same board pictured above, purchased for $3.00. The Hillinski's recommend using a carnauba-based car wax to slicken up the surface. I just put three coats on mine. I am too impatient to buy the official discs (I don't think my toys r us has them) so I bought some 1" wooden buttons (about .25" thick) at a craft store, 6/$1.00. Regulation discs are 1.25 wide by .4 thick. (inches) or 32mm x 10mm.

My total outlay is $12, including the $6.00 car wax. I will play for the first time tomorrow. Wheeee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
The Hillinski's recommend using a carnauba-based car wax to slicken up the surface. I just put three coats on mine.

Do you have more info about waxing the board? How did it turn out? I'm curious if that's something that only works with the higher end wooden boards or whether it makes a substantial difference on a cheap pressboard like the one pictured above (which I also have) as well. I'd love to hear an update from you on this Mark!

For reference, I also posted a separate thread about waxing crokinole boards here: http://www.bgg.cc/thread/91612

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.