Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of those strange and serendipitous miracles, our seamail parcel from Adamspielt took under 2 weeks to get to Australia. (clearly it was one of those special boats with wings and a jet engine). Even better, it was not intercepted by customs - and best of all, none of the games were damaged. A big thumbs up to Adamspielt - we got four games from a large local supplier 2 weeks ago and *3* of them were damaged. (Go figure - we suspect they shipped us damaged stock but they of course deny it).

Fourteen kilos of games later, we're wondering where to put them all. Most are still in shrink in the box but a couple have had an outing:
d10-1 Rette sich wer kann (Crocodile Pool Party) - who could go past the "other" game Tom Vasel hates so much? meeple Fraser and I played this a couple of nights ago and it was fun - light, but fun and quick, so 2-year-old Otto didn't get a chance to get cranky, as she does when we play longer games.
d10-2 Halli Galli - just played this with 6-year-old Biggie and her 6-year-old friend. Biggie "got it" and was quicker than me blush but friend didn't have a clue, and Biggie cracked the sh!ts at being expected to wait for friend to realise that 4 bananas plus 1 banana equals 5. We'll play later when Daddy gets home and have fun.
d10-3 Koffer Packen - a much more challenging game than most people think of when they hear "memory". We bought this for Otto and played with this last night, just naming the things on the cards at this stage, although she enjoyed saying "I put it in my suitcase" after she had said what was on the card. I remember this game from the eighties, when my parents had an 'educational' games and book shop. I think half the kids in Kew had this game, thanks to mum and dad.
d10-4 Louis XIV - this is the proverbial coalpits that Fraser claims to have locked me in for the past day or so while I translated the rules. The 15 pages (I'm being lazy and not bothering with the historical notes) run to 19 pages of typed text and only need a final read-through before we test them with a game. This is the first time (other than Koffer Packen & Rette sich...) that I have translated a rule set from German and it was fun. There's a definite knack to writing rules, though - I work as an information architect, so have a predisposition for finding the structures inside something like this. These were well structured, I think, but quite wordy and of course "themed" which was a challenge. I am still casting around for some better terms for some of the elements of this game.

From our local order, we've experimented with
d10-5 Circus Flohcati - lots of fun with Biggie (Otto wants to play too!) and also with adults. Biggie held her own in a mixed group, which is always a good sign.
d10-6 Around the world in 80 days - this would be more fun if I wasn't so *crap* at it. (Seriously, though, I enjoy it a lot - a nice light family game for us; I have hopes of conning my parents into a game this weekend). Fraser needs to learn to find the balance between throwing the game (not something we do) and playing less competitively to let Biggie compete with him (I would still be craptastic). She enjoys it, but finds it frustrating when he finishes 3-4 rounds ahead of us - and I think it's reasonable to let a 6 year old find her place. (In fact, she's enjoying it so much, she wants to know when she can play Ra, Puerto Rico and Maharajah with us. ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
My apologies for getting you sent to the coal mines. shake Nineteen pages? For an alea mid-sized box game? That must be some kind of alea record.

Hey, I think Biggie might be able to handle RA. It's just a set collection auction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Fourteen kilos of games later, we're wondering where to put them all.

I've got some space up here in Canberra if you're having trouble!

With one son turning 5 in July and another turning 3 in May, I think I should be getting some game suggestions off you, with lots of educational justifications I can pass onto my wife! (The third son at 6 months migt have to wait a bit longer).

Enjoy your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I remember my first order from Germany was 19.90 Kg...the postal limit at that time for a package was 20 Kg(may still be) so I came in JUST under the limit. I don't think I could have even crammed in a tiny card game without going over the limit. I received it in just over a week...which still stands as the record for fastest postal package I've ever recieved from Europe or anywhere overseas for that matter. The delivery men must have eaten their Wheatbix that week. Snce then games packages have taken anywhere from 1 month to 6 weeks to get to me although a recent package from the USA took just over 2 weeks which was pretty quick for just normal surface USPS service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fawkes, I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining! It was fun to do the translation.

Although I realise now that what was needed was a bit of distilling, rather than a straight translation. We shall see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeminiWeb wrote:
I've got some space up here in Canberra if you're having trouble!

Nice try, Bill!

GeminiWeb wrote:
With one son turning 5 in July and another turning 3 in May, I think I should be getting some game suggestions off you, with lots of educational justifications I can pass onto my wife!

Quite apart from the (many) educational benefits of game-playing (which I am happy to blather on about at length, and which are definitely reflected in Biggie's schoolwork), I also really enjoy the social interaction with Biggie. I remember when I started playing competitive Bridge my relationship with my father changed - at the table, I was a peer (albeit a pretty crap peer cool ). It's a little like that when we play games - and I think that's a nice aspect of our relationship. I'm still the mum, of course, but the game is something we can do at the same level as each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
I remember my first order from Germany was 19.90 Kg...the postal limit at that time for a package was 20 Kg(may still be) so I came in JUST under the limit. I don't think I could have even crammed in a tiny card game without going over the limit.

LOL! I think the smallest one we got (Flix Mix) was 111g so yeah, you just squeaked in.

We were battling the customs duty cutoff (which I think we went over, but we snuck in anyway) - there's this ludicrously complicated formula about 5% of the value of the games plus 10% of (value of games + postage + 5% of value of games) that is the cutoff for paying duty here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am biased, but I think Melissa's Louis XIV translation is excellent and the player aid is an absolute must.

Rules: http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=10405

Player Aid: http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=10106

Tip her a or d10-2 if you think so too cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.