Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't doubt this idea has been posted before but since most of us want to interest more people for our hobby, why don't we agree on an 'International Boardgame' day?

Something like a Friday when, instead of playing at home with friends, taking your games outside to a pub or bar and play over there. Or organise a gaming evening for the local community. And why not try to play a game over lunch break at work? Lots of possibilities to show that gaming is more fun than the basic roll-and-move mechanism.

I was thinking about a day before the large fairs in autumn since the days are getting shorter and people tend to get back to the cosiness of their home.

All this just to show that boardgames don't stop with Monopoly at the age of 14.

Is this idea to ambituous or are there other people thinking this might work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do it for only one day when you can do it for an entire week!

http://www.nationalgamesweek.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waauw. This is even more than I was looking for. Too bad it seems to be a US only thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't really think there's much of a need of such a day here in Germany. Of course, only a small minority of Germans play relative heavy-weights such as Puerto Rico, but Siedler von Catan, Carcassonne and similar games are quite well known. I think many Germans are aware that gaming is way to spend quality time with friends and family.

That said, "gamers" are a minority I'd like to see to make inroads into say the many youths playing computer games. If you're pursuing an indoor activity, better to go for something more social than unhealthily spending much of your freetime playing on Playstation & Co.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are trying to make it more international. Check out the latest issue of Games Quarterly for an article about what they have accomplished. The magazine is available on their web site:

http://www.gamesquarterly.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link on the magazine. I'll check it out.

Although gaming in Germany and The Netherlands is pretty popular, it still looked at oddly in Belgium which is almost surrounded by the Dutch and the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.