Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Space Hulk: Death Angel for Christmas this year and because my gaming group does not love co-op games, this will mainly be a solo game for me. I also enjoy Race for the Galaxy and Space Alert solo, but after two only two games, Space Hulk has already surpassed RftG in terms of tension and fun.

I lost the first game, but I thought I did okay considering a lack of any real strategy and no familiarity with the Event and Location cards. In that first game, I got through 10 Event cards, and got to the last location. I was nowhere close to winning, however, as the Brood Lord swarms were way too big for the Marines I had left in the battle. But most importantly, the game was fun.

Last night, two weeks after that first game, I gave it another go. Instead of choosing randomly with the markers, I hand-picked a team consisting of Red, Purple, and Yellow. I believe I did everything else to the letter of the rules, so if choosing a team nullifies the win, so be it.

Fortunate Locations

For the locations, I drew Teleportarium, Hibernation Cluster, and Genestealer Lair. The game didn't seem to start off great, as Brother Valencio bought the farm fairly early while still in the Void Lock. But I suffered no other casualties before Traveling to the Teleportarium.

It seems the Teleportarium is one of the easier locations to get - is that true? On my first turn in that location, I went with two Support Actions and one Move + Activate Action to activate the Control Panel. I did lose another Marine, Brother Goriel, to a 0 roll on the Control Panel activation, but I felt like I was still in good shape with only two locations left, because I still had the big guns; Brother Leon, Brother Claudio, and Brother Zael.

First Lucky Break

On entering the Hibernation Cluster, I only had to deal with two blip piles of 4 each, because I was down to 4 Marines. And in that location, I did get one essential lucky roll of 5 when defending Brother Leon against a swarm of 3 Stealers. Without that roll, I doubt I could have made it home, but because of it, I was able to get past this location with no further losses.

Final Confrontation

Finally, the Genestealer Lair proved relatively easy. Each Brood Lord was in a swarm with two other Genestealers. I had to make my move immediately before the Stealers could get any reinforcements. For the Actions, I played:

7 - (Red Team Move + Activate) Onward Brothers
14 - (Purple Team Attack) Flamer Attack
18 - (Yellow Team Attack) Heroic Charge

The Move + Activate allowed me to move Brother Claudio onto one swarm, while Brother Zael was already in range and correct facing of the other swarm. I'd come too far to lose it now, and just needed a non-zero on the Claudio roll, and a 3, 4, or 5 on the Brother Zael roll. Both rolls were true, with the final Brother Zael roll being a 4!

The picture here shows the final layout. The swarms were on the two red terrain cards (Spore Chimney and Ventilation Duct). You can see the 4 roll sitting in the cardboard dice tower. The current turn's action cards are at the bottom, while the previous turn's Actions (Yellow - Support, Purple - Move + Activate, Red - Attack) are just out of the picture at the bottom left.

Post Mortem

After reading the forums about how difficult the game is to win, and the experience of the first game, I did have some doubts whether or not I would ever taste victory. Now that I have won, the pressure is off and I can now die in peace! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Hughes
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session summary!

Quote:
On entering the Hibernation Cluster, I only had to deal with two blip piles of 4 each, because I was down to 4 Marines.

What did you mean by this? Does this card have 4/4 in the lower corners? Or were you playing with a modified rule to limit the blip pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hughest wrote:
Thanks for the session summary!

Quote:
On entering the Hibernation Cluster, I only had to deal with two blip piles of 4 each, because I was down to 4 Marines.

What did you mean by this? Does this card have 4/4 in the lower corners? Or were you playing with a modified rule to limit the blip pile?

The card has 0/0 in the corners with the text:

Quote:
Upon entering: For each Space Marine in the formation, place one genestealer into each blip pile from the Genestealer deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wjones14 wrote:
It seems the Teleportarium is one of the easier locations to get - is that true?

If you mean what you wrote, then no, you have the same chance of getting Teleportarium as either of the other two, 1/3 . Now, if you meant get out of, then sure, you can exit on the first turn you enter in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations and if you want the difficulty scaled up a bit, take green, blue and any team. The squad you had was full of "mass killers" - blue and green are a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longshanx wrote:
Congratulations and if you want the difficulty scaled up a bit, take green, blue and any team. The squad you had was full of "mass killers" - blue and green are a bit different.

Thanks, and yes, I realize that Claudio, Zael, and Leon were the keys to my victory. After seeing what went wrong on my first try, I studied the Marine teams and then chose the three that seemed to have the best firepower to get more positive experience with the game. I didn't actually expect to win. In the future, I will pick the teams randomly per the instructions.

As far as ramping up the difficulty, is it necessarily more difficult to play with different Void Lock cards and more Marine teams?

Dam the Man wrote:
wjones14 wrote:
It seems the Teleportarium is one of the easier locations to get - is that true?

If you mean what you wrote, then no, you have the same chance of getting Teleportarium as either of the other two, 1/3 . Now, if you meant get out of, then sure, you can exit on the first turn you enter in most cases.

Yeah, my question was, is the Teleportarium location easier to deal with than the other "2" locations, since you can exit on the first turn? (I haven't looked at the other Location cards yet, nor have I looked at all the Event cards, as I like the surprise element of seeing them for the first time while playing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

As far as ramping up the difficulty, is it necessarily more difficult to play with different Void Lock cards and more Marine teams?

I am not sure as I played only solo (3 teams) so far. But if you want the going to get really tough, take Gideon, Lorenzo and Lexicanum. I still have to win using these teams...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My second solo game was a success, too. I didn't have that luck in my first game, though, although the Teleportarium was there and was put to maximum use:

1) reshuffled 4 Genestealers back into the blip piles with the "Intimidation" action of Team Purple
2) teleported out with the "Move+Activate" action of Team Green, clearing both blip piles and without slaying any of my marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.