Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oleksandr Nevskiy
Ukraine
Khmelnitsky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am a newbie. Many of my friends play Worhammer 40K. But I do not like it, or rather the his world. But AT-43 background, I like very much. I realized, what it is a little late for start. Now its out of print. As far as I know it is best to start with Army Box. But they are no longer found in the sale and even ebay. But, still, some models I can find in the market. Maybe someone can say me, what type of soldiers do I need for making two armies? For playing with my friend. The main criterion is a variety of tactics and availability to find and buy. I like Red Block, U.N.A., ONI and THERIAN. Maybe someone can tell me what to buy?. And maybe can tell me where.

Or exists alternative to AT-43, something with same strong sci-fi background?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that Dust Tactics would be the logical alternative to AT-43. It's set in alternative history circa WW2 but changed due to the discovery of alien technology. Think World War Two-era Battlemechs!

This game is in print and comes in two versions - unpainted and pre-painted. The pre-paints are more expensive, but that would be the way I'd go (no time for painting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really enjoyed playing AT-43, its really a great game! I think either Dust Tactics or AT-43 would really work for you. Rackham has started to put out box set armies for AT-43 which makes it a lot easier to get started but I have to admit Dust Tactics looks damn good, although I have not played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veli Nieminen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Never start collecting a dead game - that's my advice. Go with Dust Tactics!

Rackham dropped the ball years ago and although its possible some other company will buy the rights to their games I would not hold my breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be wary though, Download the rules for DT first and take a look. Seems like it plays more like a boardgame than a tabletop miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Urfi
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Dust Tactics for the main reason already stated - AT-43 is a dead game (although a cool dead game). There is a lot of info and conjecture about what really happened, but to make a long story short, AT-43 was originally going to be DUST Tactics, but with a completely different name: Alternate Timeline 1943. Apparently something happened between Paolo Parente, the creator of the Dust universe, and Rckham. Rackham had already started on some of the miniatures but couldn't continue with the WW2 theme (because Paolo Parente owns the intellectual property) so they made AT-43 into a Sci-Fi game. If you think the two games look similar, that's not by chance. They share a common design origin. Rackham kept a lot of the original design concepts in AT-43. At the end of the day AT-43 is dead and DT is in production with (at the moment) expansions planned. I've even brought some of my AT-43 miniatures into unofficial games of DT and AT-43 stuff is pretty inexpensive on eBay. The future is pretty bright for DT from where I'm sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AT-43 may be dead, but if you shop around you can find an army for a very cheep cost. Dust Tactics is very expensive compared to AT-43 right now and AT-43 has some nice advantages. First it has far more variety in the factions and units available, and second it is all pre-painted. When that pre-paninted Dust box came out for hundreds of dollars I was picking up multiple AT-43 armies for a better price. I vote AT-43 if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.