Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Memoir '44 Online» Forums » General

Subject: Memoir online at DOW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I purchased the sergeant pack but still cannot get into expert mode. Is there something in particular I have to do after purchasing the pack to get into the expert mode?

thanks
tony
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to purchase a Captain or Major pack to get access to Expert Mode.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks!! yuk
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
That sucks!! yuk


I'm a bit confused by this comment because I can't tell what you're talking about here...Maybe you're talking about what you had for dinner last night...or the fact that he didn't buy the right pack to play Expert Mode...or that you don't like way Days of Wonder has created the Online program...or whatever. The one-line comment isn't very clear!

Some clarification might be in order.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

Once again DoW has made a HUGE mistake!!!
Why can't you access the 'expert mode' just because you only bought a 'Sergeant pack'?
Are those people who don't have enough money to buy a 'Captain pack' or a 'Major pack' qualified to join the expert mode, just because they didn't throw all their money in at this online game?

That sucks!!
And this is just another reason why I won't put my money into Memoir '44 Online!!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Once again DoW has made a HUGE mistake!!!
Why can't you access the 'expert mode' just because you only bought a 'Sergeant pack'?
Are those people who don't have enough money to buy a 'Captain pack' or a 'Major pack' qualified to join the expert mode, just because they didn't throw all their money in at this online game?


This is not a unique business model...there are many games where you have to buy your way into a certain online feature. In this case, if you want to play Expert Mode you have to be convinced that you'll enjoy the game enough to get more GI (by buying one of the larger two packs). You also have to know the game well enough to make Expert Mode fun for you, in which case you're probably a big fan of the game and you're enjoying the game so much that getting a larger pack makes sense anyway. If you're just playing a little bit and want to get the Sergeant Pack to keep trying the game out, you're limited to playing Normal Mode and Solo Mode, which are great systems on their own!!

As a side note, this isn't a bait-and-switch kind of thing by Dow...they very clearly explain (in multiple places) that to play Expert Mode you have to get a Captain Pack or Major Pack. It's not a mystery, it's just something that Tony missed as he was buying his GIs.

Quote:
That sucks!!
And this is just another reason why I won't put my money into Memoir '44 Online!!!!


If you're looking for reasons not to pay for Memoir '44 Online, I'm sure you can find them (just like I can talk myself out of buying any kind of clothes). Avoiding Memoir '44 Online is completely your choice, although I think you're missing out on a lot of fun. I'm sure you will enjoy your Face-to-face battles and Vassal, so you'll still be able to enjoy Memoir '44 and that's good. Have fun!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Darko
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
rasmussen81 wrote:
Slotracer wrote:
Once again DoW has made a HUGE mistake!!!
Why can't you access the 'expert mode' just because you only bought a 'Sergeant pack'?
Are those people who don't have enough money to buy a 'Captain pack' or a 'Major pack' qualified to join the expert mode, just because they didn't throw all their money in at this online game?


This is not a unique business model...there are many games where you have to buy your way into a certain online feature. In this case, if you want to play Expert Mode you have to be convinced that you'll enjoy the game enough to get more GI (by buying one of the larger two packs). You also have to know the game well enough to make Expert Mode fun for you, in which case you're probably a big fan of the game and you're enjoying the game so much that getting a larger pack makes sense anyway. If you're just playing a little bit and want to get the Sergeant Pack to keep trying the game out, you're limited to playing Normal Mode and Solo Mode, which are great systems on their own!!

As a side note, this isn't a bait-and-switch kind of thing by Dow...they very clearly explain (in multiple places) that to play Expert Mode you have to get a Captain Pack or Major Pack. It's not a mystery, it's just something that Tony missed as he was buying his GIs.

Quote:
That sucks!!
And this is just another reason why I won't put my money into Memoir '44 Online!!!!


If you're looking for reasons not to pay for Memoir '44 Online, I'm sure you can find them (just like I can talk myself out of buying any kind of clothes). Avoiding Memoir '44 Online is completely your choice, although I think you're missing out on a lot of fun. I'm sure you will enjoy your Face-to-face battles and Vassal, so you'll still be able to enjoy Memoir '44 and that's good. Have fun!! :)


Nope - you're wrong. I'm going to agree with René, "that sucks."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderflex wrote:
Nope - you're wrong. I'm going to agree with René, "that sucks."


Ok......

With such a short answer I'm not even sure what I'm wrong about...but I can tell you that you're missing out on a great Online version of Memoir '44 that is only getting better with each new beta version!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, is this still running?
I would have thought that is just died out quietly!
It did in my world!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a vitriolic exchange!

By the logic I see present, everyone that played World of Warcraft should have received a free copy of World of Warcraft: The Boardgame and all expansions for free. Or even by the same right, Starcraft. I have a decent collection of HP Lovecraft books, so should I be granted Arkham Horror and all expansions as they are released? How about this? I buy a copy of RISK, then demand a free copy of the video game as well! Or vice versa!

Such entitlement people feel!

No one is forcing you to "buy" M'44 On-line, if you want a slick interface, AI options and good online support...then by all means...buy it! If you do not, then by all means...don't buy it!

DoW is not making a "huge mistake" in not making M'44 on-line free, they are making a good decision in not doing so. If they put up a chintzy interface, bad controls, no AI and floated it out there for free...people would HOWL about how horrible a company DoW is and how CHEAP all their products are.

Ah well. You can't please everyone, so don't bother trying.

Jesse, I'm downloading M'44 to play around with some more, looks good, plays well...the AI is not your typical "bum rush" AI, so that's a good thing! I can break out a quick game of M'44 when ever I want at home, at all hours of the night/day.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since DOW have not pulled their support from the VASSAL module, there is a free alternative available to people wanting to play their Memoir '44 board game online. Nobody forces you to buy M44O, but if you want all the extra bells and whistles of the computer game version (that don't come with your board game), then it's another product to purchase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
If you're looking for reasons not to pay for Memoir '44 Online, I'm sure you can find them (just like I can talk myself out of buying any kind of clothes).




What, do you get your clothes free at a Goodwill or something, or do you run around naked?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynosure wrote:
rasmussen81 wrote:
If you're looking for reasons not to pay for Memoir '44 Online, I'm sure you can find them (just like I can talk myself out of buying any kind of clothes).




What, do you get your clothes free at a Goodwill or something, or do you run around naked?



Yes! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynosure wrote:
What, do you get your clothes free at a Goodwill or something, or do you run around naked?


Clothes or Commands and Colors Games and expansions? they call me the naked Gamer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the major pack but after 150 games I've to say I quite lost the appetite
Dont misunderstand me, I love M44, but I much prefer the paper/plastic version. Longer set up, ok, but much more satisfaction with bits and a real opponent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.